Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 07:37 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,996,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Why? Why the distinction?

Every year we go through the proposed 30% cut in medicare reimbursement. Each year (so far) the cut has been "delayed".

If Medicare reimbursement goes down 30% (we currently break even on Medicare), I know of very few, if any, physicians who will see Medicare patients. Rather than go bankrupt, most practices would just close (I would close our practice within our multi-specialty clinic). We lose money on EVERY Medicaid patient. We only take Medicaid patients collected on call. Nearly all of them are dismissed within a few months due to non compliance, "dirty" UAs, or seeking controlled substances from multiple providers.

Such "mandates" for practices to accept patients they do not want is both unconstitutional and defies logic.
To add to this, my friend owns a pharmacy and due to all of the mandates over the last couple of years he can't wait to sell it. He's been required by Medicare/medicaid to sell drugs at a LOSS and is struggling to make ends meet.
One new mandate requires him to sell certain drugs AT COST then pay for the bottles,label and labor himself.
Another one is diabetic test strips. Reimbursement for those is about $100 less than it costs him to fill the prescription.
Business cannot operate at a loss and stay in business. What's has been happening and will continue to happen (with pharmacies at least) is all the small ones will all be run out of business and the big 3 will be the only ones left in control of it all.
Competition? Yeah right.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:47 AM

2,294 posts, read 3,427,156 times
many of those on medicare/medicaid have no idea just how little it pays for their treatments. I worked in a day surgery center which for each days session employed 3 RN's and a RadTech plus the doctor and myself (receptionist/scheduler/biller/coder).
Some of the patients would turn up, stand outside and have a smoke wander into the waiting room and put on their sad face and tell me they couldn't afford the $3 co-pay today. OK so not all smoked some drove up in brand new cars, some were carrying expensive 'coach' handbags ... but still in an average day with 8 patients scheduled I would be lucky if I could get 2 or 3 patients to pay the $3. They then went through and over the course of 2 hours tested, monitored, taken to the OR for their procedure and then monitored and tested afterwards.
These procedures were Epidural Steroid Injections into the spine and the average amount we billed for this was $8,000
Medicare/caid paid $357. So each Medicare/caid patient we saw was a loss for the practice, some days out of 8 patients 4 or 5 would be medicare/caid. That doctor has suspended his list, he no longer takes any new Medicare/caid patients as he just can't afford it.

A doctor is in business just the same as a lawyer or has been mentioned a plumber, he is a skilled professional whom deserves to be paid for his work.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:50 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
To add to this, my friend owns a pharmacy and due to all of the mandates over the last couple of years he can't wait to sell it. He's been required by Medicare/medicaid to sell drugs at a LOSS and is struggling to make ends meet.
One new mandate requires him to sell certain drugs AT COST then pay for the bottles,label and labor himself.
Another one is diabetic test strips. Reimbursement for those is about $100 less than it costs him to fill the prescription.
Business cannot operate at a loss and stay in business. What's has been happening and will continue to happen (with pharmacies at least) is all the small ones will all be run out of business and the big 3 will be the only ones left in control of it all.
Competition? Yeah right.
Your friend is either lying, or talking about HUGE quantities of diabetic test strips, as you can buy 50 for as little as $7.99.

https://www.google.com/search?q=cost...icial&tbm=shop

Old 11-07-2013, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Your friend is either lying, or talking about HUGE quantities of diabetic test strips, as you can buy 50 for as little as $7.99.

With medicare/medicaid you can't just go to some random website and buy stuff. There's that mail order website that advertises on TV all the time, that's where he's sending 'em now as it doesn't pay to stock the strips and they sell 'em for less than he can get 'em for.

Before calling someone a liar one might want to actually KNOW what one is talking about.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:02 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
With medicare/medicaid you can't just go to some random website and buy stuff. There's that mail order website that advertises on TV all the time, that's where he's sending 'em now as it doesn't pay to stock the strips and they sell 'em for less than he can get 'em for.

Before calling someone a liar one might want to actually KNOW what one is talking about.
I do know what I'm talking about. Diabetic test strips are inexpensive, and your friend can get them wholesale, not retail. I can't believe he spends more than $100 per bottle of strips typing a fricking label.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:20 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,471,329 times
Quote:

really....from your link

Genstrip Glucose Test Strips - 50ct - For use with OneTouch Ultra Mete $193.88

Arkray GlucoCard Vital Blood Glucose Test Strips 50 x 12 pack $149.99

One Touch Verio IQ Gold Test Strips - 100ct $203.54

Old 11-07-2013, 08:21 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,212,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
If you're a doctor you have a license from the state that enables you to make more money than people in almost any other occupation. For a doctor to refuse Medicare or Medicaid patients is just immoral.
So charging enough to cover malpractice and repay loans and grants to become an MD is immoral?

Old 11-07-2013, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Why should I not get treatment and or have to pay skyrocket costs because this person chose that profession ? I dont think so .. they chose that profession not me and I refuse to pay higher rates because that person chose this profession .
Then go to a free clinic..................if you can find one.

Want to get treated by a doctor, then pay him/her what they charge..................or suffer.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicet4 View Post
So let's try to do some real math for a change instead of using the Venezuelan spoutings of the pimp in the white house. Together we can find out what is really going on!

So how much to physicians contribute to the total cost of our medical care?

International Physician Salaries & Benefits

Physicians don't make anywhere near the amount of money some seem to think they earn and in addition to that physician compensation in U.S. among lowest for western nations in terms of percentage of total healthcare costs.

So if we made doctors work for free, we could enslave them like the Soviets of old, we could save a whopping 9.2% off our medical bills.

Instead of paying that whopping $1,200/month ObamaCare premium we could cut that back by $110.40 paying only $1,089.60!

But if we cut their salaries in half we would only be saving $55.20/month out of a $1,200 premium.

In case you haven't figured it out yet doctors don't add that much to our health costs.

Is $161,000 really a lot of money? It's a good living but I wouldn't call it a lot of money .
I could not care less what a doctor makes outside of the US.

That is not germain to the thread.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:28 AM

Quote:
I do know what I'm talking about. Diabetic test strips are inexpensive, and your friend can get them wholesale, not retail. I can't believe he spends more than $100 per bottle of strips typing a fricking label.
Ahhh, well there you go... Most people by them by the BOX as in not just 50 at a time and usually get multiple boxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies