U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2013, 08:16 AM

39,038 posts, read 39,222,491 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJJersey View Post
Israel has been illegally expanding its territory and displacing its neighbors since its inception. But all of the Arab countries in the area are "evil" for criticizing it.
Well all of that is disputed territory. So I guess until there is some peace agreement with the Palestinian Arabs it will continue.
Rate this post positively

Old 11-28-2013, 09:58 AM

19,782 posts, read 14,236,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
There are 2,100,000 Palestinian Arabs in the West Bank, along with 500,000 or so Jews, those directly descended from the bloodline of Abraham, Isaac, and the 12 tribes (sons) of Israel (Jacob). I assume that the Palestinian Arabs are predominantly Muslim, and that some of them are Jewish, hence are now Muslim Jews.

West Bank - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

No, they are Arab Jews. Muslim is a religion, not a race.

Old 11-28-2013, 02:02 PM

23,715 posts, read 28,512,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post
How can a Palestinian Muslim be an Arab Jew? Being Jewish is also a religion.

Old 11-28-2013, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
There are 2,100,000 Palestinian Arabs in the West Bank, along with 500,000 or so Jews, those directly descended from the bloodline of Abraham, Isaac, and the 12 tribes (sons) of Israel (Jacob). I assume that the Palestinian Arabs are predominantly Muslim, and that some of them are Jewish, hence are now Muslim Jews.

West Bank - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
A child who has a Muslim parent and a Jewish parent? Isn't that the same logic as Muslim Christians?
Quote:
Quote:
The only way that someone technically could be a Muslim Jew would be if their mother is Jewish (so considered Jewish by the Jewish tradition) and their father a Muslim (so considered a Muslim by the Islamic tradition).

There are Palestinian Jews whose families lived in the area of Palestine/Israel for generations.

There are Jews whose families come from Arab countries. As I already explained they don't usually call themselves "Arab Jews" but rather Jews from particular countries (that are Arab countries).

There are Palestinian Arabs who are Christian rather than Muslim.

Old 11-28-2013, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post

There are Palestinian Jews whose families lived in the area of Palestine/Israel for generations.

My maternal (Mizrahi) Jewish line comes from the lands East of Jerusalem. We had been there for 100's of years. We (my family) were evicted from our farmland during the Armistice along with every other Jew. The only time the region was known as Palestine was under British control. My mothers (and grandmothers) birth certificate states Province of Jerusalem with Ottoman stamps on it. Thus the only Jews who would be considered Palestinian are those born during the mandate period under Britain. FWIW my fathers line (he was not born there) had presence in North Jerusalem since the early 1500s under the Ottoman reign of Mehmed. So if anything we are Turkish Jews.

Old 11-29-2013, 09:50 AM

19,782 posts, read 14,236,875 times
Quote:

Try to follow...Muslim Jews were mentioned. There is no such thing as a Muslim Jew, unless of course someone follows both Judaism and Islam.

I think what was meant was ARAB Jew.

Old 11-29-2013, 05:51 PM

Quote:
There is no such thing as a Muslim Jew, unless of course someone follows both Judaism and Islam.

Why not? Is there no intermarriage between people of both religions?

Old 11-29-2013, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Why not? Is there no intermarriage between people of both religions?
I think intermarriage is relatively rare between Jews and Muslims.

Old 11-29-2013, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
I think intermarriage is relatively rare between Jews and Muslims.
Rare: Yes. But if we look at percentages than its rare. But looking at actual numbers then it may be more common in certain areas. Under Islamic law Males can marry upwards of four non-muslim females.
http://articles.washingtonpost.com/2013-04-12/opinions/38484049_1_american-jews-and-muslims-intermarried-couples-Abdullah

http://www.jewcy.com/post/brace_yourself_for_jewish_muslim_intermarriage

Old 11-29-2013, 07:48 PM

4,516 posts, read 4,545,164 times
Quote:
Ummm. No. Per the Quran ALL people are Muslims, thus they are born Muslim Any person the becomes Muslim later in life is known to have reverted. Per Christianity a newborn is supposed to be baptized usually by the first Sunday after their birth. As to being Jewish, if the mother is Jewish then the child is Jewish. The circumcision is a OT (Gen 17:12) ritual. So where does a newborn get to "choose" their religion?
One can choose to be a Muslim, Hindu, Buddhist or Christian, because that option is available to all people on the planet. However, to be Jewish is to be of the bloodline of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob. You do not have the option to 'become' Jewish, and you do not have the option not to be. You can be Jewish and opt for any of the above. The Jewish bloodline is patriarchal; Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob are referred to as the three patriarchs of the people of Israel. Jewish linage follows the male descendants, not the female.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.