Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 06:14 AM

2,423 posts, read 2,075,485 times

Advertisements

The difference is Netanyahu was the commander of one of the most elite units in the entire world. What did Obama do?

Old 11-09-2013, 10:29 AM

68,279 posts, read 54,055,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
While the Israelites were initially the only 'chosen' people of God, this changed with the birth of Jesus Christ, who brings all people, Jew and non-Jew alike, into the family of God by faith in Him.

Jews wrote a book claiming that Jews were God's 'chosen' people. Why does that deserve any credence from non-Jews?

Old 11-09-2013, 10:47 AM

43,303 posts, read 44,028,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
While the Israelites were initially the only 'chosen' people of God, this changed with the birth of Jesus Christ, who brings all people, Jew and non-Jew alike, into the family of God by faith in Him.
That is a Christian belief. Orthodox Jews still believe that Israelites/Jews are still the only "chosen people of God".

Old 11-09-2013, 11:01 AM

4,538 posts, read 4,794,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Jews wrote a book claiming that Jews were God's 'chosen' people. Why does that deserve any credence from non-Jews?
As a Christian it took a long time to generate much interest in the Old Testament for the reason you mention. Nevertheless it was part of God's plan that He did initially choose them, and in light of all of the current focus on the Middle East, I decided to study the Old Testament which the Jews wrote under God's direct revelation.

When Joshua crossed the Jordan river into Canaan (the modern day West Bank), he had been instructed by Moses to kill all of the inhabitants of the land they were to possess. I believe that many Jews remain there to this day, though they may have been forced to adopt Islam.

Old 11-10-2013, 11:10 AM

4,538 posts, read 4,794,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadisonR View Post
I would urge you to immediately, as in right this second, to stop posting on this topic, as you have absolutely no f--king idea what you are talking about.
Perhaps you might believe Peter or Paul then.

Peter...

Acts 11:15-18 New American Standard Bible (NASB)
15 And as I began to speak, the Holy Spirit fell upon them just as He did upon us at the beginning.
16 And I remembered the word of the Lord, how He used to say, ‘John baptized with water, but you will be baptized with the Holy Spirit.’
17 Therefore if God gave to them the same gift as He gave to us also after believing in the Lord Jesus Christ, who was I that I could stand in God’s way?”
18 When they heard this, they quieted down and glorified God, saying, “Well then, God has granted to the Gentiles also the repentance that leads to life.”

Paul...

Philippians 3:5-9 New American Standard Bible (NASB)
5 circumcised the eighth day, of the nation of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of Hebrews; as to the Law, a Pharisee;
6 as to zeal, a persecutor of the church; as to the righteousness which is in the Law, found blameless.
7 But whatever things were gain to me, those things I have counted as loss for the sake of Christ.
8 More than that, I count all things to be loss in view of the surpassing value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them but rubbish so that I may gain Christ, 9 and may be found in Him, not having a righteousness of my own derived from the Law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which comes from God on the basis of faith,

Old 11-12-2013, 02:41 AM

2,238 posts, read 3,306,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
There were Palestinian Jews upwards of the creation of Israel. Then they became Israeli Jews. Arabs are either Christians or Muslims. No Arab would ever admit to following the Jewish faith out of fear of death. But FYI, Islam only looks at one generation back as being a Jew or not. If anyone further back of great grandparents (inclusively) were Jewish they are of no consequence to the current generation. Also under Islam one does not convert, they revert. Because Islam sees all people as starting off as a Muslim and somewhere in time they followed a different path. If one reads the Quran, one will find passages that are written slightly different that come from the OT and the NT.
What are you talking about? There are STILL Palestinean Jews. Based on what you said, it seems to be a matter of semantics. There are many Jewish people living in Palestine, that have always lived there since the earliest of ancient days and times. And actually Arabs can be of ANY religion. I know plenty of Arab Jews. And Jews have lived fine and peacefully in and among Arab nations. In fact many Jewish communities and civilizations in so called Arab cultural lands predates arrivals of Arab conquests and arrivals since ancient times. Some Jews even accompanied Arab cultural conquests as fellow Arabs. Jews and ARABS are both Semitic peoples for goodness sakes. Also look up Mustarabi Jews and the Jews of Iraq and Bagdhadi Jews. It's just like how there are Persian Jews and Kurdish Jews, although those identities themselves at times are intertwined as "Arab" as well depending on who you speak to.

And yes there are Muslim Jews. There have been Judaecized Muslims and Islamicized Jews over time and throughout history.

Old 11-12-2013, 02:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucario View Post
Arab Jews = People whose families have lived in Arabic-speaking countries (Iraq, Morocco, Yemen) for centuries who speak Arabic as a first language and whose culture, aside from religion, is identical to that of the Arabs who surround them.
Thank you!

+1

Old 11-12-2013, 02:49 AM

Quote:
By your own definition, Jews from Iraq will most likely be Mizrahi Jews while Jews from Morocco will be
Sephardic Jews. People from Yemen could be from either groups due to its alignment in trade routes using the Red Sea or Oman.
Yemeni(te) Jews along with Omani Jews have a unique distinct Jewry, known as the Tenamim. Any Jew that's not Azhkenazi(c) is usually grouped under Sephardi(c) for simplistic reasons and because of the similar shared liturgical practices and traditions of non Azhkenazims.

Old 11-12-2013, 02:53 AM

Quote:
The only way an Arab will admit to being Jewish, is behind closed doors to extremely trustable friends and family. Past that NO Arab would publically state it. It goes back 100's of years to when a Jewish tribe refused to follow Islam in Saudi Arabia (in the Quran its covered under Glad Tidings). You can have an Arab Christian because today's Christians have nearly nothing in common with the original Christians from 2000 years ago in their belief structure.

This POC and not R&S.
Many famous celebrities are openly proud Arab Jews so I don't know what you are talking about.

Arab Jews were used as pawns by the Azhkenazims when Israel was created in 1948. They forced Arab Jews to be airlifted to Israel to support the ridiculous notions of Zionist causes but most Arab Jews wanted to be left alone in solitude and peace.

All of these semantics are poor and sad attempts at creating division. There was so much more peace before 1948, and especially before the ridiculous Balfour Declaration.

Old 11-12-2013, 03:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
Seriously, are we really playing this game here?

Touting back and fourth who's really a Jew with some people trying to suggest that a picky definition suggests Jews think they're better than everyone else?

Jews are an ethnic group (like Germans, Armenians, Russians) and Judaism is a religion. Using the term Jew can be a little tricky.

Unless they are a convert, a Jew living in Russia is not Russian. They are a Jew living in Russia (or Russian Jews). A Jew living in Iraq is not an Iraqi or an Arab. They are a Jew living in Iraq (classified as a Sephardi Jew).

In regards to mixing.... If a Jew marries or breeds with a non-Jew (which happens often in America and places like Russia) not everyone will consider the half Jew Jewish according to religious laws. Ethnically, it's a different story. A half black/half white child will show signs of both parents, but the darker genes are technically more dominant and often show off more than the white genes. Similarly, the half Jewish part of a mixed child will usually be more dominant and acknowledged, and many people still consider that person to be ethnically a Jew regardless.

What is so difficult to understand here?
You clearly are overlooking Jewish law. Traditionally and this is in the Talmud and OT. One can only be Jewish if at least the mother is a Jew. It's determined based on the mother and maternal line. If the father is Jewish and the mother is NOT, then by Jewish law, that child is NOT a Jew, and they would have to be properly and legally converted under proper observation to be accepted as Jewish.

And Jews have lived in many lands throughout the globe since the beginning so how could they not be truly European, Russian or German etc? A Russian Jew is no different than a Russian Muslim or Russian Christian or those of any other religion or ethnic group. All are 100% true Russians in their own right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies