Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2014, 08:39 PM

1,723 posts, read 2,224,797 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
But is there any rational reason for the belief in Jews as the 'chosen' people?

As I 've said, Jews wrote the book. Being that Christians reject the Jewish thinking about Jesus, why such belief in other Jewish teachings?
It's interesting that we draw the distinction between Christians and Jews these days. It's almost as if we consider Christian to be synonymous with European.

Anyone of European descent whose ancestors fought in the Legions of Hadrian or Tiberius, or marched with Alexander, rowed longships, etc. would find it amusing (or distressing) that our culture and society is now almost fully shaped and measured by the teachings of an itinerant Jew.

Old 01-17-2014, 08:59 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,728,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
No, you can have 'Muslim' Jews, 'Mormon' Jews, 'Buddhist' Jews, 'Christian' Jews, etc. Being Jewish is simply belonging to a certain bloodline. It has nothing to do with an accepted or practiced belief system.
The abandonment of the Jewish faith has always been a very big deal. So big that a family member converting to Christianity, Islam or any other religion was considered dead to them. They were no longer Jews. They were traitors to the faith. Throughout history, former Jews accepted this notion. Descendants of former Jews quite often had no idea that they had Jewish ancestry because the first generation former Jews no longer considered themselves Jews.

The notion that being Jewish is an ethnicity might be just a little bit debatable today. It was not debatable 200 years ago: If you abandoned the Jewish faith, you were no longer a Jew. I don't know if it's a majority, but a lot of Jews still see it that way right now.

Old 01-18-2014, 05:20 AM

43,610 posts, read 44,346,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clint. View Post
It's hard to imagine another country going to war, taking land, and doing with it what they want while the U.S. encourages them. However, that's what Israel has done. From the early days in the 1940s Zionists - many who didn't even live in that area - waged war to take and colonize land that wasn't theirs. Of course, doing so is as old as prehistory, but for it to be tolerated in contemporary times is very exceptional.
Israel was attacked as soon it was established in 1948 so it was forced into war. The attackers lost land in the war upon Israel. In reality the lands that Israel received control over were never claimed as part of any sovereign nation in the region (as formerly they were under control of England and prior to that of Turkey).

Old 01-18-2014, 06:59 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
The abandonment of the Jewish faith has always been a very big deal. So big that a family member converting to Christianity, Islam or any other religion was considered dead to them. They were no longer Jews. They were traitors to the faith. Throughout history, former Jews accepted this notion. Descendants of former Jews quite often had no idea that they had Jewish ancestry because the first generation former Jews no longer considered themselves Jews.

The notion that being Jewish is an ethnicity might be just a little bit debatable today. It was not debatable 200 years ago: If you abandoned the Jewish faith, you were no longer a Jew. I don't know if it's a majority, but a lot of Jews still see it that way right now.
And any religious group that clings to the "My God is better than Your God" BS should plan on a life of conflict as long as they do so.

Old 01-18-2014, 12:42 PM

12,687 posts, read 6,728,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
And any religious group that clings to the "My God is better than Your God" BS should plan on a life of conflict as long as they do so.
I don't know, maybe. I'm not Jewish so I can't say I have any axe to grind. Just statin' the facts.

Old 01-18-2014, 07:47 PM

23,707 posts, read 30,727,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
In reality the lands that Israel received control over were never claimed as part of any sovereign nation in the region (as formerly they were under control of England and prior to that of Turkey).

Well........

Syria did try to claim it as theirs in 1919.

King - Crane Commission (1919): Information from Answers.com

King

Old 01-19-2014, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pruzhany View Post
Well........

Syria did try to claim it as theirs in 1919.

King - Crane Commission (1919): Information from Answers.com

King
Well Syria hasn't claimed that area in recent times and obviously the British, French and American Governments did not accept those claims back then either. Otherwise, Jordan too would be part of Syria as it is located in the Eastern part of the former area considered Palestine.

Old 01-19-2014, 06:29 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by godofthunder9010 View Post
I don't know, maybe. I'm not Jewish so I can't say I have any axe to grind. Just statin' the facts.
Jews may write a book claiming Jews are God's 'chosen', doesn't make it a fact.

Old 01-19-2014, 07:40 AM

9,639 posts, read 6,013,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAMERCAT View Post
Many people do not know that the place where Joshua crossed first the Jordan river into Canaan (the West Bank), is where many Jews have lived for centuries, even if they are Muslim, and that most of the Israelis who are stealing their land are non-Jews. If it is 'illegal' to do so, why does America continue to send billions a year in 'welfare' checks to Israel?

"Israel has announced plans to build 1,500 new settlement homes in East Jerusalem, the part of the city occupied by Israel in 1967 but claimed by Palestinians, just hours after it freed 26 Palestinian prisoners as part of a deal to restart peace talks.

[MOD CUT/copyright violation]
Israel to build 1,500 new settlement homes in East Jerusalem | Al Jazeera America
You cannot be Muslim and Jewish.

Old 01-29-2014, 02:40 PM

CAMERA: French Court Ruling Affirms Legality of Israeli Occupation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies