Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2013, 07:57 AM

46,259 posts, read 27,074,383 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weichert View Post
Under the law, the federal government will pay states all of the costs for newly eligible people on Medicaid for the first three years. It will pay no less than 90% of the costs in the future.
Yep, and then what happens after the fist 3 years...where does the money come from at that point?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Which implies that insurance companies sold policies after 23 March 2010 knowing that they could not be grandfathered.

Many companies chose not to grandfather their health plans primarily because of the 80/20 rule. Couldn't make that profit.

It depends on when they changed that policy. That's the entire point....the ACA changed the policy, when?

Old 11-05-2013, 08:11 AM

6,046 posts, read 4,814,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Yep, and then what happens after the fist 3 years...where does the money come from at that point?
Far different than dumping the entire burden on the state. Wouldn't you think that having all covered with some form of insurance would reduce costs rather than not having any insurance at all and relying on ER? Which is the most expensive option in healthcare? Guess who usually gets stuck with that bill. And ER is not really healthcare, mostly just a temporary procedure or fix and then out you go.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Far different than dumping the entire burden on the state. Wouldn't you think that having all covered with some form of insurance would reduce costs rather than not having any insurance at all and relying on ER? Which is the most expensive option in healthcare? Guess who usually gets stuck with that bill. And ER is not really healthcare, mostly just a temporary procedure or fix and then out you go.
Not everyone will be covered...just like right now, the ACA will NOT cover everyone....

You are right, the ER is not health care, just like having health insurance, is not health care.

Old 11-05-2013, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Not everyone will be covered...just like right now, the ACA will NOT cover everyone....

You are right, the ER is not health care, just like having health insurance, is not health care.
Having health insurance gives you access to health care.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:18 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CravingMountains View Post
You NEVER know when you will need certain care. The young are NOT invincible.

Of these plans being canceled there are so many that do nasty things to their recipients. Many people who end up in the ER with these bogus plans are slammed with numerous bills that they thought the plans would cover but they do not.

The hidden rip offs are now a thing of the past.
You never know when you'll need care, I'll give you that. The hidden rip-off is gone. I'll give you that. The issue is costs from the spotty plans have sky-rocketed to the Obamacare compliant plans and even deductibles are higher for some cases. Because of this, the youth now have to pay more when they (may) have high student loans to continue to pay off before they worry about other living expenses which now include mandated health insurance.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Having health insurance gives you access to health care.

Does not mean you are going to use it...just likenow...people have insurance and don't use it....

Old 11-05-2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
You never know when you'll need care, I'll give you that. The hidden rip-off is gone. I'll give you that. The issue is costs from the spotty plans have sky-rocketed to the Obamacare compliant plans and even deductibles are higher for some cases. Because of this, the youth now have to pay more when they (may) have high student loans to continue to pay off before they worry about other living expenses which now include mandated health insurance.
People are now beginning to find out the real cost of health insurance.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:29 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,941,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
I don't think it is evident that the young have to pay more. Most will be eligible for subsidies that might make their cost near zero.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:19 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,880,244 times
Quote:
People are now beginning to find out the real cost of health insurance.
We can say that with the rising diabetes cases. I know for myself, I try to eat right and keep my weight down because of at least two generations of diabetes on both sides of my family. So it's nothing shocking. However not everyone is as vigilant of their family health history. How do I do, eat healthier (try to do weightwatchers) and got an exercise program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
I don't think it is evident that the young have to pay more. Most will be eligible for subsidies that might make their cost near zero.
I wish it is as easy as that but there is a number of people who do not qualify for the subsidies. Also it goes by projected wages so you could end up needing to pay back for taking the subsides due to promotions, raises, bonuses, ect. I'm sure a year and a half from now, we'll know if the subsidies actually do something. For me, I am looking at a $2,535 silver plan with $1,639 as a single and get billed directly with $897 per year which is way higher than 1% of my expected 2014 income at $190 (you know the mandate tax penalty.) It is nearly 5 times the amount of not signing up to sign up for the silver (bronze would be about 2.44 times the amount of the mandate tax penalty.)

I got this from the Kaiser Family's subsidy calculator.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies