Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 05:52 AM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Oh boy do I agree with that. This

http://autocww2.colorado.edu/~blackm...laska1964).jpg

http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/...?size=620x400s

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/i...uOZ8LZVhb-Z179

With the EPA requiring coal generating plants to reduce emissions, coal can still be used, but they'll need to install emissions reducing stacks, or emissions controls.

Minnesota Power begins emission reducing project at coal-fired power plant - Pennenergy
We have been trying to get another coal power plant in the Matanuska-Susitna Valley for a decade now. I show up at the public planning meetings and tell them that if they give me a discount on my electric bill they can build it in my backyard.

We are swimming in coal. However, the Mat-Su Valley is rapidly running out of natural gas. We do have a hydroelectric power plant, but that was a unique situation. To keep the water flowing to power the generators during the winter, they put a large drain in the bottom of Eklutna Lake. During the summer there is a huge whirlpool in the lake. The melting snow from the surrounding mountains keeps the lake filled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 06:11 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,242,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
We have been trying to get another coal power plant in the Matanuska-Susitna Valley for a decade now. I show up at the public planning meetings and tell them that if they give me a discount on my electric bill they can build it in my backyard.

We are swimming in coal. However, the Mat-Su Valley is rapidly running out of natural gas. We do have a hydroelectric power plant, but that was a unique situation. To keep the water flowing to power the generators during the winter, they put a large drain in the bottom of Eklutna Lake. During the summer there is a huge whirlpool in the lake. The melting snow from the surrounding mountains keeps the lake filled.
Why has it taken 10 years?

Is that because of environmental concerns? You know, they tried to hold up the pipeline too, but as I understand it, the pipeline has had little or no effect upon wildlife or the environment.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:49 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Why has it taken 10 years?

Is that because of environmental concerns? You know, they tried to hold up the pipeline too, but as I understand it, the pipeline has had little or no effect upon wildlife or the environment.
actually the alaskan pipeline has had a positive effect on the wildlife, and virtually none on the environment. it seems that because the oil in the pipeline is heated, the wildlife tends to gather near the pipeline in the colder weather. it also keeps the snow pack down in those areas meaning more food available for the herds.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:21 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,384,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Of course. Your five year old knows more than a thousand scientists. Maybe he can cure cancer by the time he's six.

Out-Manned: Over 950 scientists show the fallacy of Mann's hockey stick graph
THE HOCKEY SCHTICK: Out-Manned: Over 950 scientists show the fallacy of Mann's hockey stick graph
No way man. Curing cancer requires more brain power than a 6 year old has.

Now using a crayon to draw a hockey stick that doesnt relate to any data anywhere.... well that right there is something any 5 year old can do.....

Old 11-06-2013, 10:45 AM

3,401 posts, read 2,285,496 times
Oh, did some blog you like say that ol' hockey stick was a lie. I hear right-wingers make this claim often. All right-wing attempts to support this claim fail. They just link to a blog and call that proof. As if two right-wingers saying something makes it less false than one or something.

So if you can give me a good reason not to point and laugh at you, have at it. I'm giving you the opportunity to show me you deserve to be taken seriously. Use it wisely.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post
Oh, did some blog you like say that ol' hockey stick was a lie. I hear right-wingers make this claim often. All right-wing attempts to support this claim fail. They just link to a blog and call that proof. As if two right-wingers saying something makes it less false than one or something.

So if you can give me a good reason not to point and laugh at you, have at it. I'm giving you the opportunity to show me you deserve to be taken seriously. Use it wisely.
did you bother reading these?

The big picture: 65 million years of temperature swings « JoNova

temperature

CO2 vs Temperature: Last 400,000 years

Old 11-06-2013, 11:15 AM

3,026 posts, read 3,647,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
The climate has indeed continued to warm...There has been no pause...Of the nine hottest years on record, eight have come since the year 2000, with 2005 and 2010 sharing the dubious title of hottest year on record.
That is not quite true because there has been a pause. There has been no warming since 1998 using the UAH dataset and since 2001 for GISS. HADCRUT and RSS show similar results.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seabass Inna Bun View Post

Wow seabass, that is a new tact for you! LOL! "iveneverheardyousuggestsomeonereadabadblogbef ore"

LOL!

What i like about you is
1. you never actually contribute
2. you just make snide vapid comments
3. you are on the OTHER side.

Thank you for playing, you are helping the Skeptic Cause every time you hit "submit reply!"

Old 11-06-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Wow seabass, that is a new tact for you! LOL! "iveneverheardyousuggestsomeonereadabadblogbef ore"

LOL!

What i like about you is
1. you never actually contribute
2. you just make snide vapid comments
3. you are on the OTHER side.

Thank you for playing, you are helping the Skeptic Cause every time you hit "submit reply!"
and he still hasnt responded to the links i provided, TWICE in this thread. but watch, i bet he comes back with these are blogs and have no meaning in the world of science despite them using real science.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:23 AM

rbohm, i dont know if you have been posting in these climate threads much but let me help you out with our mutual friend.

the fishysammich isnt exactly interested in what you may post as links to stories, blogs, or even peer reviewed lit. fishysammich is just interested in taking snide potshots devoid of any reason or serious attempt at engaging in discussion.

if you are looking for some kind of comment or engaging reply you would be more likely to get that from the tile in your bathroom....

that isnt to say that our Oceanic Foodstuff friend isnt intelegent, in fact I suspect quite high IQ, just that we are too far benieth to be worthy of any actual offering of value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies