Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2013, 06:08 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,621,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
"NHS shame: Death rate in Britain's hospitals is far higher than US"

USA shame: Patient dumping from American hospitals is far higher than in the UK.

That's right....just put them on a Greyhound bus and dump them onto the street in another state.
No longer their problem.
Sending the dying home is actually not a bad idea, and it's usually the wish of the dying patient.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 06:20 AM

26,272 posts, read 8,428,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Sending the dying home is actually not a bad idea, and it's usually the wish of the dying patient.
A couple of years ago, my dying Aunt requested to go home to die. A proper hospital bed was set up in her home, with 24 hour nursing care. I was astonished to see this, I had not seen this happen before. Obviously, the authorities knew this wouldn't be for long. She died a week after returning home.

That, and other instances like it, is why I am proud to live in a country that does such a thing for a dying old lady. It's not about profit you see, the NHS belongs to us, the people of this country.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:24 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,621,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
A couple of years ago, my dying Aunt requested to go home to die. A proper hospital bed was set up in her home, with 24 hour nursing care. I was astonished to see this, I had not seen this happen before. Obviously, the authorities knew this wouldn't be for long. She died a week after returning home.

That, and other instances like it, is why I am proud to live in a country that does such a thing for a dying old lady. It's not about profit you see, the NHS belongs to us, the people of this country.
Too often they hook them up in the machines and squeeze another million of two of profits out of them, even when they know they will never regain conciousness. This is why it is important to write a living will in US.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:26 AM

22,923 posts, read 15,487,222 times
Quote:
Mircea - you give me a headache. You dismissed my last post without answering my question. Why are there so many threads about American Healthcare, and so few in the UK thread about the NHS? I was in America only a week ago. I watched Fox so called news making fun of Obamacare.... commentators literally laughing. Everytime I saw this channel during my two weeks visit, they were hammering Obamacare.

Why do you think this is? How about vested interests like insurance companies making sure things carry on in the same old way. Many of us think profiteering on the backs of ill people is distasteful. How about you producing a graph showing people in England wanting rid of the NHS for something different?

You dismiss someone like me who has seen the NHS in action for many years. From my own operations, to the birth of my children, caring for ill friends and relatives, some at the end of their lives.

The English are very good at complaining..... the weather, politicians etc. We don't complain about the NHS. We recognise the good work it does, and the dedicated people who work within it. You and your arguments have been slaughtered in other threads by better people than me. Still you come back sneering at everyone who dares disagree with you. Answer me this. Why are so many Americans fed up of the health care they receive, or not, those who can't afford it. Why thread after thread on this subject? Guess they don't know how lucky they are huh?
You have to understand the implications of what you've suggested with your questions.

For someone such as the O/P to accept the premise that there might be a better way of providing healthcare for ALL citizens OTHER than the model used by Americans for decades, would indicate what? ..........FAILURE! We can't have that now can we?

Admitting that there might be any number of countries out there with a more enlightened populace would be akin to a collision of all the planets.

The evidence, however, is clear and irrefutable: All of this discussion currently happening in the U.S. didn't simply generate from a happy populace all content with their lot and the performance of their "every man for himself and those with cash get the first seat in the lifeboat" system and, it didn't start yesterday either. People in the U.S. have been more than aware of their system failures for decades but lacked the ability to motivate a political system whose manipulators are all beneficiaries of a Preferential system.

In short the leaders are not standing in line with the peasants. That revolution and throwing off the yoke of Royal oppression was supposed to be all about that er,..... wasn't it?

Old 11-06-2013, 06:38 AM

14,482 posts, read 11,280,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruSan View Post
RWNJ's are all imbued with a higher sense of free enterprise, anything and everything MUST make a profit. The only measuring stick to use deciding the worth of a program to aid and assist human health is whether or not it makes a freak'n profit.
So, assuming that you have a job, do you work pro-bono?

If you do then bravo! If you don't then shame on you for your hypocrisy.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:46 AM

Quote:

Same here.

My neighbour in 2005 who at age 57 was diagnosed with a terminal cancer, requested of his physician that he would prefer to die in his own home. The same provisions of hospital bed and nursing were set in place and he passed peacefully at home with family surrounding him. His physician was on hand to pronounce him and it all could not have been done any more compassionately.

We had friends visiting from the U.S. back in the eighties and visited with another couple whose son in his teens had undergone major reconstructive surgery to both his legs to correct a birth deformity that caused him to need crutches and wheel chairs. His waist-to-toes cast required a hospital bed moved into their living room with daily nursing visits. Our American friends enquired: "how much does all this cost?"

The befuddled looks on their faces were priceless when they were told "we have no idea, we've never seen a bill for any of his treatments from the day he was born" were priceless.

My wish would be for every American to experience that particular "freedom".

Old 11-06-2013, 06:48 AM

6,369 posts, read 6,408,266 times
Quote:

Something similar is common in the US as well, under the term "hospice at home." Available for little or no cost.

The alternative is to go through massive, fruitless intervention at the end of life, driven by some combination of our societal denial of death and the quest for profits.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
So, assuming that you have a job, do you work pro-bono?

If you do then bravo! If you don't then shame on you for your hypocrisy.
I'm retired since '04' thank you, and was never unemployed from the age of 15.

I guess you missed the part about "aid and assisting human health" eh?

No one said healthcare providers should work for free and do you suppose all of those folks working in the healthcare field in countries with Universal Health care are working for free?

The fact my little missive went right on over your head does not surprise me one bit.

What is it about the concept of ALL sharing a proportionate cost to guarantee ALL the basics of effective healthcare is beyond your intellectual grasp?

Hypocritical is a nation supposedly founded upon Christian principles that fosters the 'every man for himself' ethic to the degree that yours does on this issue.

You don't have the moral currency to presume to lecture on the grounds of hyprocacy.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:01 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,393,969 times
Again it all boils down to: How many British would exchange their system for our previous "for profit" system? The answer is: Not very many at all.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:04 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,261,937 times
Quote:
Mircea - you give me a headache. You dismissed my last post without answering my question. Why are there so many threads about American Healthcare, and so few in the UK thread about the NHS? I was in America only a week ago. I watched Fox so called news making fun of Obamacare.... commentators literally laughing. Everytime I saw this channel during my two weeks visit, they were hammering Obamacare.

Why do you think this is? How about vested interests like insurance companies making sure things carry on in the same old way. Many of us think profiteering on the backs of ill people is distasteful. How about you producing a graph showing people in England wanting rid of the NHS for something different?

You dismiss someone like me who has seen the NHS in action for many years. From my own operations, to the birth of my children, caring for ill friends and relatives, some at the end of their lives.

The English are very good at complaining..... the weather, politicians etc. We don't complain about the NHS. We recognise the good work it does, and the dedicated people who work within it. You and your arguments have been slaughtered in other threads by better people than me. Still you come back sneering at everyone who dares disagree with you. Answer me this. Why are so many Americans fed up of the health care they receive, or not, those who can't afford it. Why thread after thread on this subject? Guess they don't know how lucky they are huh?
Mircea dismisses everyone. Don't take it personally. She posts the nastiest, most condescending, personally insulting stuff on all of C-D. She buries her points in so much data that most people don't have time to deal with it all. It's a very effective tactic. Then she uses a snide sign-off to every post, sits back and incurs a repetitive motion injury from patting herself on the back.

She'll follow this post by telling me how stupid I am and that I'm failure # whatever. Meanwhile, as you noticed, she did not address your points. And the other very cogent point about hospitals serving inner city immigrant populations was addressed by … a pile of data that no one wants to read. (I could see quite a few inner city hospitals in that list as I scanned it, but Mircea knows that no one really wants to wade through the entire thing.)

You'll get used to her, I promise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies