Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 01:24 AM

15,082 posts, read 14,280,446 times

Advertisements

This is the only Christmas song I really like, but you don't hear it too often, unfortunately.

Spirit of Christmas - Ray Charles - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 01:31 AM

603 posts, read 874,547 times
I am a Hindu but I make sure I wish people "Merry Christmas" instead of "Happy Holidays." I'm not going to stop saying the word "Christmas" in fear of retribution from the PC police. I love Christmas and celebrate it will full spirit.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:39 AM

4,586 posts, read 5,591,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seatown1 View Post
I am a Hindu but I make sure I wish people "Merry Christmas" instead of "Happy Holidays." I'm not going to stop saying the word "Christmas" in fear of retribution from the PC police. I love Christmas and celebrate it will full spirit.
You're so nice! Thank you. I found Indians to be the most polite demographic around where we live, and I really appreciate that.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:46 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,782,404 times
I wonder if the people who complained to the store did so because they thought the Christmas decorations could wait until after Thanksgiving. I realize that for retailers Christmas is where the money is, but as a consumer, I miss the Thanksgiving decorations, and just the transition into Christmas. A lot of stores started putting out Christmas merchandise right after Labor Day. And you couldn't buy shrubs or trees for fall planting from the big box stores like Home Depot or Lowes this year, because they cleared them out in September to make room for Christmas.

I love Christmas, but I think people get tired of Christmas because the retail season selling Christmas goes on so long.

And by the way, if an individual family doesn't believe in a holiday, then that is their business, and their business alone (in reference to the poor kid who wasn't allowed to decorate a pumpkin because his family didn't believe in Halloween).

Old 11-07-2013, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike1306 View Post
You seem to want to force a private company to decorate how you choose they should and then you seem to want to force a kid in school to stay out of school because of his religion. Why are you in this country if you seem to have a problem with the very basic rights of individuals and companies?

And as to your "All tho Halloween is not a religious holiday per what I know" comment.
Halloween can be traced back to the RELIGIOUS ceremonies of the ancient Babylonians, the pagan RELIGIOUS spread throughout the world from there. Maybe you should do some research before spouting off all the time.

I wish your Scroogness a Merry Christmas!, but only after hoping you have a Happy Thanksgiving!
Halloween - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I doubt it can be placed in the same category with Christmas or Hannukah tho!

You seem to forget that we Americans have the right to our own opinions. I disagreed with the fact that someone told Publix to stop decorating for Christmas. I would have had no issue if they actually complained about how early the decorations were put up, but that wasn't the case. JUST like that person asked Publix to stop decorating for Christmas, I asked Publix to decorate for Christmas.

Democracy works both ways. I just thought it was really weird, because I am American, and to have one holiday removed while others remained was a little odd. Either keep them all, or remove them all; after all if we want to be religious about it, all of these Holidays belong in a church and not in a grocery store! Right?

Old 11-07-2013, 07:56 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,067,906 times
Christmas has nothing to do with Jesus. He wasn't even born on December25th. There is nothing...NADA in the Bible about celebrating Christmas. The Emporer Aurelian set the date to offset the pagan celebrations going on at the time. The Pilgrims didn't celebrate it, and wanted to outlaw it in England before they left for Amurrica.

It wasn't even originally on December 25th, it was first celebrated on January 6th. Nobody knows for sure when Jesus was born, some scolars picked December 25th as the date because it was estimated 9 months after Mary was believed to have conceived.

The objects we use to celebrate Christmas, are, in a large part, pagan, just like the Easter eggs in the spring.

There is no war on Christmas, Publix is a corporation, not the gubmit, you can still celebrate it as you wish, nobody is going to show up at your door and demand you stop celebrating it. BTW, the Publix in my neighbrhood is decorating for the holidays, so, I call shenanigans on the OP.

Some of you guys have waaaay too much free time on your hands to get your undies in a bunch over a man-made holiday. If you want to celebrate Christmas in the Spirit of Christ, donate to your local food bank or help serve meals to the homeless. I'm sure He'd appreciate that more than the constant whining that goes on around this time of year.

Relax.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I wonder if the people who complained to the store did so because they thought the Christmas decorations could wait until after Thanksgiving. I realize that for retailers Christmas is where the money is, but as a consumer, I miss the Thanksgiving decorations, and just the transition into Christmas. A lot of stores started putting out Christmas merchandise right after Labor Day. And you couldn't buy shrubs or trees for fall planting from the big box stores like Home Depot or Lowes this year, because they cleared them out in September to make room for Christmas.

I love Christmas, but I think people get tired of Christmas because the retail season selling Christmas goes on so long.

And by the way, if an individual family doesn't believe in a holiday, then that is their business, and their business alone (in reference to the poor kid who wasn't allowed to decorate a pumpkin because his family didn't believe in Halloween).
A few pages back we discussed that....

I get that, and I don't really care what other people do, or believe in, I just thought it was really unfair for that kid. I mean what are they telling that kid at home? that holidays are evil? making the rest of us look like the enemy?

Agreed 100%
Quote:
I think pushing merchandise on people is not a good way to sell stuff really. I don't like this kind of marketing at all. There is no subtleties anymore, everything is in your face everywhere you go, it is kind of obnoxious. My concern was strictly about them decorating the store when it gets closer to Christmas, and NOT about the display with the merchandise they put out.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:59 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,903,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoProIP View Post
So I just had to stop at my Publix for a minute, and the guys at check out were talking about how someone complained about the Christmas stuff they put out, and how now they can't hang Christmas decorations anymore unless they get approval from "Corporate"!!! WHAT????

I mean really? people have nothing better to complain about?

At my kids school this poor kid couldn't decorate a pumpkin because the "parents don't believe in holidays"? WTH!!!
A whole thread based upon what someone said on a supermarket checkout counter. Unbelievable.

No substantiated facts. No citations. No nothing. Just idle banter.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:01 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,471,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red3311 View Post
Oh yea, this is a nationawide PANDEMIC. Just because some people dont believe in our NATIONAL holidays, we ae no longer allowed to Celebrate CHRISTmas... This is how they destroy you from the inside out. Starts with attacking your culture.
Where is it that there's a ban on celebrating Christmas?

Old 11-07-2013, 08:02 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,067,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
A whole thread based upon what someone said on a supermarket checkout counter. Unbelievable.

No substantiated facts. No citations. No nothing. Just idle banter.

It didn't happen. I call shenanigans. Most of this "I overheard" or "I saw" crap you see on these forums is fake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies