Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2013, 10:29 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,894,702 times

Advertisements

I would like to know why/how European social democracy would work in the United States. How would it work on a nation with 313 million people of different races, creeds, ethnicity, languages and backgrounds including 20 million or so, illegal immigrants?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2013, 10:49 AM

525 posts, read 508,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
I would like to know why/how European social democracy would work in the United States. How would it work on a nation with 313 million people of different races, creeds, ethnicity, languages and backgrounds including 20 million or so, illegal immigrants?
I personally don't believe it would work well. I'm a Republican, so I won't deny having a bias.

Taxes would have to increase dramatically. The effective tax wedge in most successful Western European Social Democracies (Belgium, France, Austria, Netherlands) is around 50%. Keep in mind, that is for nations that tend to have lower unemployment, lower portions of illegal immigrants, and lower populations in general. On top of that these nations have higher median incomes and fewer people as a percentage of the population SOLELY relying on the "system."

Further...these countries also operate their regulatory system differently. The Democrats have tied higher taxes to increased regulation of the industiral and financial sector. While nations like Sweden, Norway, and Finland have remarkably high tax wedges, they are also REMARKABLY easy to start a business in. If you look at the Economic Freedom Indicies...Scandanavia is always on top despite having very high taxes.

If the Democrats would support increased personal taxes, low corporate taxes, and decreased regulation on the financial, industrial, and tech sectors...it may work out ok....but they won't because that isn't their M.O.

Last edited by AZcardinal402; 11-05-2013 at 10:58 AM..

Old 11-05-2013, 10:52 AM

1,806 posts, read 1,736,861 times
You could have a debate on what exactly European Social Democracy is, so answering your question is impossible. You should try to narrow things down next time instead of asking something so broad.

Old 11-05-2013, 10:57 AM

1,131 posts, read 1,260,374 times
It does seem to work fairly well in the Nordic countries, but they are significantly smaller than the US and much more homogeneous (racially and otherwise). Still, it's interesting to speculate about it, for leftists like me. Sadly, since it's never been tried, nor is it ever likely to be, we'll probably never know.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:06 AM

13,711 posts, read 9,227,271 times
What the heck is a "European Social Democracy"?

You do know that Europe is a continent, not a country right? And that within Europe, there are different forms of government right?

Old 11-05-2013, 11:08 AM

215 posts, read 297,269 times
Why would first, second, and third generation European immigrants here in the U.S. want to create a system our ancestors fled?

Old 11-05-2013, 11:13 AM

8,629 posts, read 9,130,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curly_Q View Post
Why would first, second, and third generation European immigrants here in the U.S. want to create a system our ancestors fled?
After WW1 and WW2 those powers in Europe are no longer, are no longer the same families screwing everything up. Europe after those major wars has become much more democratized. I would venture to say we the U.S. are the old boys on the block.

Old 11-05-2013, 11:14 AM

88,971 posts, read 44,780,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZcardinal402 View Post
I personally don't believe it would work well. I'm a Republican, so I won't deny having a bias.

Taxes would have to increase dramatically. The effective tax wedge in most successful Western European Social Democracies (Belgium, France, Austria, Netherlands) is around 50%.
Yes, and they would increase the most on those who won't want to pay them, the low- and middle-income earners. European Social Democracies have highly regressive tax systems:

Other countries' taxes are highly regressive - Washington Post

Quote:
Keep in mind, that is for nations that tend to have lower unemployment, lower portions of illegal immigrants, and lower populations in general. On top of that these nations have higher median incomes and fewer people as a percentage of the population SOLELY relying on the "system."

Further...these countries also operate their regulatory system differently. The Democrats have tied higher taxes to increased regulation of the industiral and financial sector. While nations like Sweden, Norway, and Finland have remarkably high tax wedges, they are also REMARKABLY easy to start a business in. If you look at the Economic Freedom Indicies...Scandanavia is always on top despite having very high taxes.

If the Democrats would support increased personal taxes, low corporate taxes, and decreased regulation on the financial, industrial, and tech sectors...it may work out ok....but they won't because that isn't their M.O.
Very good points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies