Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 05:59 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,543,209 times

Advertisements

Christie was the incumbent, not a challenger.

Can Bots think at all?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 06:10 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I wouldn't count out Pennsylvania, Colorado, and Nevada just yet. There's been some movement in all of those states that suggest, with the right candidate, they could go either way.
Pennsylvania as a state hasn't supported the conservative presidential nominee in an election since 1988. In fact Democrats have won the state by less than 5% only once since 1992. It really isn't a swing state.

Colorado is trending more Democratic, but historically it has supported the conservative party presidential nominee, and Nevada is a swing state that has voted for the eventual President elect in the last 9 elections

Old 11-06-2013, 06:13 AM

2,003 posts, read 1,168,233 times
Based on the current batch of likely candidates, it will be Christie or rand that comes out of the primaries. Christie is a neocon on the foreign front, and folks are tired of these wars. Rand will pull a lot of young folks who will work for him.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:23 AM

4,241 posts, read 7,175,680 times
Christie is toeing the GOP right-wing line on gay rights and gay marriage.

I don't see him as a moderate on those particular issues.

Old 11-06-2013, 06:25 AM

8,391 posts, read 6,296,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurefinder View Post
Based on the current batch of likely candidates, it will be Christie or rand that comes out of the primaries. Christie is a neocon on the foreign front, and folks are tired of these wars. Rand will pull a lot of young folks who will work for him.
Neither one of those men will be President. Are conservatives really that out of touch with Americans that they can't see that those two men will never will never be President.

It is so obvious to me Chris Chrisitie comes across as a jerk, and a bully. He is not likable. He'd have to completely change his tone which is the ONLY reason some conservatives like him because he is a jerk and comes across that way.

If he moderates his tone, loses about 100lbs, and is seen as really working with Democrats he is finished with conservatives, and even if he does all of that at best he loses a closer Presidential election.

Rand Paul has zero shot at getting the nomination or of winning the Presidency.

I want conservatives to nominate Ted Cruz or whomever at the time best represents the insanity of conservative politics. I want conservatives to nominate the most conservative candidate they can find, so when that candidate gets crushed no more excuses about conservatives can't lose national elections.

Old 11-06-2013, 09:13 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
His problem will be in going from a traditional blue state to the national scene where he will have trouble with the republican based.NJ isn't a real red state they just are like Detroit where they want change from fiscal problems of tax and spend traditional liberal democratic platform of appeasing so many special interest its compose of. He lokks more like Bill Clinton thna Ronald Reagan in appealing to demcrats from center to right of party like blue dogs.One only has to look at bill Clinton's early career to see why he concluded that you can not rule form the left in this country.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:57 AM

4,783 posts, read 3,299,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juppiter View Post
Christie tied for the Latino vote. That's huge. They should consider him, for sure.
Exit polls show Christie got 51 percent of the Hispanic vote. You can thank his vocal support for in-state tuition and legalization of undocumented immigrants for that.

Old 11-06-2013, 11:01 AM

6,933 posts, read 8,493,093 times
Did Christie just moderate the tone of the national GOP.

No, he didn't. All politics is local. And a lot of local elections/politics is what makes-up the demographics of elected officials in the parties. It wasn't just GOP voters who elected Christie. There were a fair number of Democratic voters who cast their votes for him as well. The GOP, nationally, continues to slide into the "we hate America" stance and it's largely delegates who share those sentiments who choose national candidates in the primaries ... and I think it's obvious, at least at this point, Christie doesn't march to their off-beat message.

Old 11-06-2013, 07:47 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,138,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Seeing as how conservatives are for big government as much as liberals (with minor differences in which aspects of it they wish to grow) you arent really saying much.
You're overgeneralizing.

Old 11-06-2013, 08:11 PM

32,062 posts, read 15,058,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Always find it interesting when people who aren't GOP think they know how members of the party are going to vote.

I am a fan of Christie. I think he has enough appeal to win over the critical independents.
As a democrat I agree. I really like him. Unfortunately, he won't be the nominee because conservatives would never back him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies