Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 02:12 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,681,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZcardinal402 View Post
Christie just annihilated Buono in NJ. Does his victory spell a long overdue end to the tea party and a return to a more pragmatic, moderate GOP.

I hope so.

Christie 2016!

Yes Christie will be great as President Rand Paul's union and budget pitbull. :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 03:34 PM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
You're an independent( cough cough) but you won't vote for him, right?
I would vote for him, although the last two times I voted for more conservative candidates (Ron Paul, and Chuck Baldwin).

Old 11-07-2013, 06:55 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,298,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rikoshaprl View Post
Self identified moderates are liberals that don't want anyone to know it.
I know some conservatives think that, which in turn means conservatives are vastly out numbered.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:07 PM

19,746 posts, read 22,654,259 times
I take the term conservative with a grain of salt. You have to add a pre-fix to the word to really describe which brand they follow. Like Buckley Conservative, Neo-Conservative, socially conservative, tea party conservative, establishment conservative etc..

My wife and I are pretty much Buckley Conservatives, which by todays far right wing conservative standard is a RINO.

They pretty much have a habit of eating their own kind, which is becoming more evident given the rift in the party.

Most independents I've met tend to fall into the Buckley camp, and right now my wife and I fall into the same category. If we have to register under party affiliation, we still choose Republican, however those views that are pegged so far to the right or those that follow single issue matters (like abortion or guns) are not ours. Most independents are broader minded and tend not to listen to the fringe elements within our society. Thank the Lord.

I would say Christie is close to being a Buckley Conservative, but hard to say because we really don't know his stance on foreign relations or other such matters.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:34 PM

4,783 posts, read 3,298,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Threerun View Post
I take the term conservative with a grain of salt. You have to add a pre-fix to the word to really describe which brand they follow. Like Buckley Conservative, Neo-Conservative, socially conservative, tea party conservative, establishment conservative etc..

My wife and I are pretty much Buckley Conservatives, which by todays far right wing conservative standard is a RINO.

They pretty much have a habit of eating their own kind, which is becoming more evident given the rift in the party.

Most independents I've met tend to fall into the Buckley camp, and right now my wife and I fall into the same category. If we have to register under party affiliation, we still choose Republican, however those views that are pegged so far to the right or those that follow single issue matters (like abortion or guns) are not ours. Most independents are broader minded and tend not to listen to the fringe elements within our society. Thank the Lord.

I would say Christie is close to being a Buckley Conservative, but hard to say because we really don't know his stance on foreign relations or other such matters.
I actually hate both terms, conservative or liberal. I prefer left wing, center and right wing. Most of us fall into the center and vote based on our own personal priorities.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:24 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
No we don't! Chris Christie will never be president for two reasons. 1. He's a R.I.N.O.(republican in name only) the guy is too liberal. Only people in the northeast thinks he's "conservative". Conservatives outside the NorthEast would never vote for him. 2. He's too fat. We live in the tv/media era, Americans are shallow, they're not going to vote for a guy who doesn't past the looks test. That's why people voted for Kennedy over Nixion back in 1960, Kennedy looked better on TV. If he's the Republican canidate in 2016, the republicans will lose again.
True. They've been running the liberal Republicans that please the democrats most -- like McCain and Romney and those liberal Republicans aren't winning.

If the liberals are so enthralled with Christie, they can nominate him for their party's candidate. He is better than the one and only democrat candidate they've got which is Hillary but he's obviously no Conservative.

Old 11-07-2013, 08:29 PM

13,561 posts, read 10,353,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
True. They've been running the liberal Republicans that please the democrats most -- like McCain and Romney and those liberal Republicans aren't winning.

If the liberals are so enthralled with Christie, they can nominate him for their party's candidate. He is better than the one and only democrat candidate they've got which is Hillary but he's obviously no Conservative.
I don't consider Christie liberal at all, or even moderate. He just looks moderate compared to a Tea Party ideologue.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:33 PM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
Christie hooked up to one simple and very effective phrase everyone is gonna hear from all the copycats who will follow.

He said "I get things done."

That was all. No party line, no finger pointing. And for a fact, he did get things done. It's a shame so many of our elected officials can't say the same and not tell a lie, but they'll try it anyway.

Most people don't care specifics or Who shot John. All they want is to see Congress get off it's ass and start passing legislation. That's their job, but they are no damn good at it.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:43 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,966,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WmMeeker View Post
I think it does. Not only Christie but look what happened in deep red Alabama where a Tea candidate was trounced by a more moderate business type Republican. The glory days of the Tea party and right wing talk radio are over because the business community has grown tired of them and is going to rid the Republican Party of them. The business community tolerated the social conservatives because the social conservatives were no threat to the bottom line. But the Tea Party has shown it is a threat to the nation's economy and the money people in the business community have finally had enough of them.
The Chamber of Commerce, along with other bus orgs, have vowed to spend far more in the next few years than ever before, and they will back good old fashioned, Mainstream Republicans. Bama was their first of many instances of taking the reins back from the inmates in the asylum.

Old 11-07-2013, 11:07 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 14Bricks View Post
No we don't! Chris Christie will never be president for two reasons. 1. He's a R.I.N.O.(republican in name only) the guy is too liberal. Only people in the northeast thinks he's "conservative". Conservatives outside the NorthEast would never vote for him. 2. He's too fat. We live in the tv/media era, Americans are shallow, they're not going to vote for a guy who doesn't past the looks test. That's why people voted for Kennedy over Nixion back in 1960, Kennedy looked better on TV. If he's the Republican canidate in 2016, the republicans will lose again.
Apparently you don't even know what a republican is because Christie is a true republican. Sure, some extremist from the South is going to think otherwise because they are an extremist.

Perhaps we can look at the fact that he gets things done and that he's not a tea party nutjob rather than his weight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies