Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2013, 11:58 PM

56,990 posts, read 35,105,807 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Oh to be so wrong in so many ways. The wages were increased in Texas because of market forces (e.g. greater demand for employees than supply). You are right, it wasn't a good example to use for the Seattle situation because it's exactly what Republicans have been talking about. When the market forces are there, wages rise. Legislation is not necessary to do so. I can see why you would be upset for proving our point.

Charleston assembles one of Boeing's lines - try reading the news once in a while (they have engineers here too - a bit more than 'janitorial). We're also in the top 15% in the country for having a population with advanced degrees. I give credit where it's due though - Seattle is as well. Of course, we don't have unions but still have high quality of life in our city. I imagine it had something to do with it when Boeing moved their Dreamliner line down here. To just go ahead and beat the dead horse. We have one of the top high schools (top ten) in the country in Charleston. We're consistently voted #1 city for a variety of things - from great place to live to being friendly. If you want to pick on a city, try a different one than Charleston because flat out, you'll lose.
Charleston is a decent city at best. But let's not get carried away...it ain't no Seattle by any stretch of the imagination.

LMAO ...you score high in a few magazine polls, and wanna pretend that it's a world class city?

No. Simple as that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 12:02 AM

11,011 posts, read 10,992,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Charleston is a decent city at best. But let's not get carried away...it ain't no Seattle by any stretch of the imagination.

LMAO ...you score high in a few magazine polls, and wanna pretend that it's a world class city?

No. Simple as that.
I love my city and think it's a great place to live. Apparently so do plenty of others as we keep growing. Seattle is enjoying great growth too and it's a very nice city as well. I don't have an issue with Seattle but I do have an issue with you knocking Charleston.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:06 AM

33,512 posts, read 37,049,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
$6 an hour plus $1.20 in payroll taxes is $7.2 an hour x 2080 hours is about $15k per employee or 6 employees. I call bogus on your knowledge of math and running a business.
Really? Sorry to disappoint, but I run a very successful business....

For your info ...

Washington State Tax Information

Washington Washington Department of Revenue

Withholding Requirements:

No withholding tax in Washington
Withholding Method = N/a
Supplemental Rate = N/a

Local Taxes

None

Old 11-07-2013, 12:06 AM

46,001 posts, read 35,085,915 times
Quote:
I love my city and think it's a great place to live. Apparently so do plenty of others as we keep growing. Seattle is enjoying great growth too and it's a very nice city as well. I don't have an issue with Seattle but I do have an issue with you knocking Charleston.
Just to jump in here, I don't know much about Charleston other than the fact that it isn't in the same league as Seattle. Nothing wrong with that, not saying one is better than the other, just wanted to point that out.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:11 AM

33,512 posts, read 37,049,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
And when that doesn't happen, you will find some other false thing to freak out about.
It is amazing that these right wingnut go out of their way to back the rich while they are trodding on the poor....There has to be some serious brainwashing going on with them.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Just to jump in here, I don't know much about Charleston other than the fact that it isn't in the same league as Seattle. Nothing wrong with that, not saying one is better than the other, just wanted to point that out.
Well, to be fair. Charleston is a mid-sized city, Seattle is not (something like 600K to 3.5M). But to say we don't have enough educated people here to do anything beyond simple assembly and janitorial duties is pretty darn untrue. Like I said before, I've got nothing against Seattle but I do take umbrage when someone insults my city and is not using factual information to do so.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:12 AM

56,990 posts, read 35,105,807 times
Quote:
It's your hometown...you should love it.

It's growing? Good, except that everywhere in America claims to be "growing." That term gets thrown around so much that I don't even know what that means anymore. Hell, Williston, North Dakota is "growing." But it's still a nightmarish existence if you have to actually LIVE there.

In other words, growing is overrated.

That said, I've been to Charleston and like I said, it's decent. No complaints. It's not on the level of a San Fran, Portland or Seattle, but it's bearable I suppose.

Old 11-07-2013, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
It's your hometown...you should love it.

It's growing? Good, except that everywhere in America claims to be "growing." That term gets thrown around so much that I don't even know what that means anymore. Hell, Williston, North Dakota is "growing." But it's still a nightmarish existence if you have to actually LIVE there.

In other words, growing is overrated.

That said, I've been to Charleston and like I said, it's decent. No complaints. It's not on the level of a San Fran, Portland or Seattle, but it's bearable I suppose.
Well, the population alone in those cities dwarfs Charleston. Look, I don't want to get this thread too far off track but suffice it to say that I disagreed with your assessment of the educational level of our citizens.

Old 11-07-2013, 06:55 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,305,478 times
Quote:
Well, to be fair. Charleston is a mid-sized city, Seattle is not (something like 600K to 3.5M). But to say we don't have enough educated people here to do anything beyond simple assembly and janitorial duties is pretty darn untrue. Like I said before, I've got nothing against Seattle but I do take umbrage when someone insults my city and is not using factual information to do so.
Keep the truth a secret. Let people think the worst. That way your city won't change for the worse.
The last thing you want is Charleston to be "discovered" and put on one of the top 10 lists.

Austin has been on those lists for years and most normal working folks have been priced out of the city.

FYI..I have visited Charleston (vacation on Isle of Palms) and went into the city almost every day.
I love the old Southern cities and would hate to see any of them become too modernized and gentrified to the point of being elite enclaves.

Old 11-07-2013, 07:15 AM

23,159 posts, read 26,113,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dooleys1300 View Post
Fast food workers aren't the only people who make minimum wage.

And there are some fast food places that allow tipping, maybe not where you live but there are where I live.
Maybe if the workers had to rely on tips instead of arbitrary, un
earned wage hikes they would have more incentive to work harder and do well.
Hotel maids, porters....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies