Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2013, 05:09 PM

9,888 posts, read 10,817,438 times

Advertisements

You cannot add a 60% increas to the cost of doing business ands not expect negative repurcusions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2013, 07:35 PM

32,816 posts, read 19,469,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
I would say about $11-13 an hour would be the appropriate federal minimum wage.
so you think 11-13/hr is appropriate for an UNSKILLED worker

hope you like all the layoffs that will come with that

Old 12-30-2013, 07:50 PM

2,240 posts, read 1,385,409 times
Quote:
Those are some low numbers, you must have found yourself hungry from time to time. I would hate to have a kid with an income like that.
Well, that's kind of the point, isn't it? Minimum wage used to be a jumping off point, for kids. Not kids with kids. Get some education (it's free) and make something of yourself. I can't believe how many people in this damn country are unable to support themselves. We have been championing the downtrodden for so long, and it just keeps getting worse! It makes one feel uncharitable. How much must we all give to lift them up?
I worked with underprivileged children my whole career. From 1971-2006 I taught middle school, and it never changed! Of, course, I taught remedial reading most of the time so it was particularly depressing.

Old 12-30-2013, 07:53 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,894,105 times
Quote:
You throw in tips and that valet makes more than a teacher because we pay our teachers so poorly in this country.
We have the worst primary and secondary public education system in the western world so I'm fine with teachers making a salary commensurate with their performance. Likewise, we have the best universities in the world with well-paid professors.

Old 12-30-2013, 08:06 PM

5,660 posts, read 5,084,852 times
Quote:
I would say about $11-13 an hour would be the appropriate federal minimum wage.
With this the cost of what you purchase on a daily basis would go up as well, effectively lowering your overall buying power. So you're willing to lower your quality of life so that minimum wagers can raise theirs?

I think that if MW goes up 60%, then I should get a corresponding bump percentage-wise in my salary. In that case I'm not getting ahead unfairly, just keeping up with the COL and breaking even, right?

Old 12-30-2013, 10:24 PM

46,001 posts, read 35,158,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
so you think 11-13/hr is appropriate for an UNSKILLED worker

hope you like all the layoffs that will come with that
In 1968 people made $10.71 when you include inflation, $11-13hr is reasonable for minimum wage. You say layoffs will come, but there has never been mass layoffs due to minimum wage going up.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lizjo View Post
Well, that's kind of the point, isn't it? Minimum wage used to be a jumping off point, for kids. Not kids with kids. Get some education (it's free) and make something of yourself. I can't believe how many people in this damn country are unable to support themselves. We have been championing the downtrodden for so long, and it just keeps getting worse! It makes one feel uncharitable. How much must we all give to lift them up?
I worked with underprivileged children my whole career. From 1971-2006 I taught middle school, and it never changed! Of, course, I taught remedial reading most of the time so it was particularly depressing.
If only we lived in a perfect world, I would agree with you, but we live in reality and sometimes people need to rely on minimum wage and have a family.

If you taught for underprivileged children your whole career, I wouldn't expect anything to change because there is always going to be people who classify as working class poor.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
We have the worst primary and secondary public education system in the western world so I'm fine with teachers making a salary commensurate with their performance. Likewise, we have the best universities in the world with well-paid professors.
Why would the best primary and secondary teachers want to work as teachers in the public education system if the pay is so poor? You can make more money doing anything else, that is a huge problem. We will never get the best primary and secondary teachers if we aren't willing to pay competitive wages to get them.

Old 12-30-2013, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
With this the cost of what you purchase on a daily basis would go up as well, effectively lowering your overall buying power. So you're willing to lower your quality of life so that minimum wagers can raise theirs?

I think that if MW goes up 60%, then I should get a corresponding bump percentage-wise in my salary. In that case I'm not getting ahead unfairly, just keeping up with the COL and breaking even, right?
Yes, I am fine with costs going up to help pay people a better wage....often times those raises in prices to cover the increase in wages is well below a dollar, so the chances are you wouldn't notice that something cost $7.73 when it use to cost $7.51.

Old 12-31-2013, 06:15 AM

1,743 posts, read 1,657,901 times
You have a family when you are stable and can afford it otherwise use condoms and birth control. Problem is that nobody cares since government will pay for your housing , food stamps, ebt cards, free medical/dental , and still work part time and be eligible for all that... So many get comfortable with that lifestyle and choose NOT to progress further. I know this cus I hear it from customers mouths and I see it all day long.

If you increase min wage you do it by small increments to allow everything else to steadily adjust with it as well. Such a big jump in min wage will introduce layoffs and/or lots of hours cut down to part time. This will now also not encourage people to strive to better themselves or get a better education. This is a country that allows you to climb to the top but how you get there is all up to you, but it seems like lazy or stubborn people want a free quick lift.

People need to learn how to prioritize , stabilize, and educate themselves about life. If I can't afford something I won't try to buy it or buy something then barely make enough payments on it. I Budget Myself And Keep Things realistic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies