Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2013, 09:58 AM

4,538 posts, read 4,811,723 times

Advertisements

I guess 'non-profit' is a relative term...

'An American multi-national corporation, which accepts millions of dollars in government funds, pays its top executives more than half a million dollars per year in total compensation, while simultaneously paying some of its employees less than the federal minimum wage.

Some employees earn just 22 cents per hour.

And the entire racket is perfectly legal thanks to a Depression-era loophole in federal labor law. Is now a good time to mention that this corporation also doesn't pay any taxes?

"Goodwill Industries is one of the most well-known charitable organizations in the United States, but most members of the general public are unaware that Goodwill exploits people with disabilities," said Dr. Marc Maurer, President of the National Federation of the Blind, which has organized a nationwide protest of offending Goodwill organizations. "We are conducting informational protests to make the public aware of this practice that, although sadly still legal, is unfair, discriminatory, and immoral."

John Hrabe: Goodwill's Charity Racket: CEOs Earn Top-Dollar, Workers Paid Less Than Minimum Wage

http://investigations.nbcnews.com/_n...-and-its-legal
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2013, 10:00 AM

14,917 posts, read 13,101,264 times
Goodwill is a horrible "charity." I haven't given to or shopped at Goodwill for years because of its executive pay.

I give to ARC instead.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:02 AM

11,011 posts, read 11,024,526 times
<sigh> This Goodwill thing comes around every once in a while. It's not a racket. It allows employees to continue to collect disability while still working, if they so choose. Goodwill is a fantastic organization which genuinely helps people find employment that otherwise would not be able to in this job market.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:04 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Goodwill charges nearly new retail prices on used crap. I can find good deals on their special sales days, that's about it.

One time I saw an outdoor corner bar I wanted for my deck. They had 200 listed on it, and it needed a lot of work. I offered 150, and they kept saying no. Seriously? Somebody gave this to you, for free, and you won't come down a little? Crazy

Old 11-06-2013, 10:05 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,083,707 times
What the article fals to point out is the fact that if these workers are collecting Social Security benefits based on their disability, or are collecting any other state aid (Food Stamps, Medicaid, etc), any increase in wage would more than likely preclude them from collecting these benefits. By allowing them to be paid such minimal amounts, they are able to keep their benefits, while also earning additional monies they wouldn't have been able to anywhere else. It also allows them to be productive members of society.

If they want to earn a real wage, they can give up their benefits and go work somewhere else. Let's see how many choose that route.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:09 AM

13,692 posts, read 9,009,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeeter31 View Post
What the article fals to point out is the fact that if these workers are collecting Social Security benefits based on their disability, or are collecting any other state aid (Food Stamps, Medicaid, etc), any increase in wage would more than likely preclude them from collecting these benefits. By allowing them to be paid such minimal amounts, they are able to keep their benefits, while also earning additional monies they wouldn't have been able to anywhere else. It also allows them to be productive members of society.

If they want to earn a real wage, they can give up their benefits and go work somewhere else. Let's see how many choose that route.
True, that. Indeed, we had a thread on this very subject a few months ago (note that the article is from September 2012 or so).

Old 11-06-2013, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Goodwill charges nearly new retail prices on used crap. I can find good deals on their special sales days, that's about it.

One time I saw an outdoor corner bar I wanted for my deck. They had 200 listed on it, and it needed a lot of work. I offered 150, and they kept saying no. Seriously? Somebody gave this to you, for free, and you won't come down a little? Crazy
I think that's a local store thing. We do not have that same issue here with our local Goodwill. It's actually a hugely popular store because it's an affluent area and has some pretty nice stuff for very, very low prices.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:14 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I think that's a local store thing. We do not have that same issue here with our local Goodwill. It's actually a hugely popular store because it's an affluent area and has some pretty nice stuff for very, very low prices.
Florida, Michigan, Kentucky, and Tennessee. Everyone is roughly the same. It really is dependent on the store manager. Some will wheel and deal, others won't.

Saw a corner table that can be bought new at kmart for 200 bucks sold at goodwill for 180, in much worse shape.

Salvation Army, imo, is far more reasonable on pricing

Old 11-06-2013, 10:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Florida, Michigan, Kentucky, and Tennessee. Everyone is roughly the same. It really is dependent on the store manager. Some will wheel and deal, others won't.

Saw a corner table that can be bought new at kmart for 200 bucks sold at goodwill for 180, in much worse shape.

Salvation Army, imo, is far more reasonable on pricing
That's too bad. Our local Goodwill is a hot bed of activity most days because the thrift shoppers love it there. Great prices and nice goods.

Old 11-06-2013, 10:17 AM

5,513 posts, read 5,241,036 times
Non-profit simply is a categorization for federal income tax purposes; these organizations don't pay taxes on the money they obtain.

Non-profits pay their executives a ton of money--generally, more than for-profit businesses. I remember being surprised reading a Time expose on Big Health and Big Insurance, which pointed out that non-profit hospitals paid their executives significantly more than for-profit hospitals did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies