Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-12-2013, 11:30 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,260,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Your problem is your myopia until you get over that anything I post is going right over your head. Sorry.
Oh, I understand you perfectly. "He made me do it" is the bully's mantra. Hence my very accurate translation. Those goons are bullies -- with guns -- and so are you if you support them because "they were pushed."

Still waiting for the answers to my other two questions…

Old 11-12-2013, 11:38 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,890,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
LOL.

Translation: It's not right except when my personal chain is yanked, then it's OK because they made me do it.

And I can't wait to hear you explain how a group of soccer moms exercising their Constitutional rights to free assembly and free speech "pushed" these goons into doing this. It ought to be a good one.

Also, I'm anxious to hear you explain what this has to do with Balkanization.

Waiting patiently!

What exactly did these "goons" do wrong? Were they not also simply just exercising their right to assembly? Did they trespass? Threaten anyone? Break any laws whatsoever?

How is it that you feel this anti-gun group was completely fine in assembling and demonstrating their cause, but yet, the gun owners, who were essentially doing exactly the same thing, are considered "goons"? Sorry queeny, but that line of thinking is just not logical.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:41 AM

7,322 posts, read 6,919,546 times
The sad joke is that laws do not take guns out of the hands of criminals, it does the opposite. Look at the states with the highest gun issues have the highest gun laws. It's a never ending climb that can't stop long as liberals push that agenda.
So busy blaming things rather than taking personal responsibility, of course things will never change.
When was the last time you ever heard of a criminal invading the police department ?
Even most crazy people know better than that.
If you don't like guns so much put a sign on your front door stating that "this is a gun free zone" I am sure that criminals that can read will appreciate the notification.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:42 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,890,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adiosToreador View Post

2. Leave? Leave to where and for what? I'm not uncomfortable about Americans exercising their rights given to them by the Bill of Rights. I have no idea what this has to do with the subject at hand, but okay.
The Rights outlined in the Bill of Rights are not "given" to us by said document. We are born with them. Did you know that the founding fathers hesitated to even create a Bill of Rights for this very reason? They feared that a Bill of Rights would create the illusion that these are Rights "given" to us by government, and by proxy, could be taken away by the same government.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:47 AM

2,865 posts, read 3,629,314 times
I agree that gun owners should carry, use and store guns responsibly. I always say that a mature, mentally competent, law abiding citizen should be able to own any type of firearm (within reason of course, no nukes, bombs etc) they want. The problem with compromising with those that want to abridge your rights is that they do it incrementally and in the name of wanting to reduce crime, suicide, accidents etc. Compromise, compromise, compromise until nothing is left. At what point does one say "Okay, we've gotten what we want from the other side", and cease and desist? As far as the article, I picked up Guns & Ammo yesterday in the book store and turned to his opinion and read it. He did say that there needs to be regulations regarding firearms (and there are, plenty) and that other things like autos are regulated (although auto ownership/operation is NOT a right). The guy is entitled to his opinion and gun owners are entitled to disagree with him and ask for his dismissal. Both sides get their say.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:02 PM

7,322 posts, read 6,919,546 times
I didn't like it when computers were invented because it would eventually take away jobs and it did .
Being a mechanic I worried that eventually computers would end up in cars taking jobs away form men that depended on the car repair industry making dealerships exclusive.
Low and behold that's what took place.
I have had to adjust to learning computers like it or not , and I resent them and still work with them.
People abuse them and take the lives of others with them (identity theft) .they are dangerous and can be a weapon depending on who's hand they are subject even by accident.
You may not like guns and are afraid of them never the less the world is loaded with them and those wiling to take advantage of the weak using what ever means is available.
A gun in the hand of some one trained to use it correctly, has a significant advantage even if it never gets used.
It serves as a warning to those that might otherwise seek to abuse them.
An armed society is a polite society ,"Colt" I think .
Do you know that the survival rate of a common house cat is severely diminished if allowed out side if it's claws are removed.
It knows it is vulnerable,. and acts that way, and other predators know it, by it's body language.
Predators know the body language of their prey.
Choosing to be prey is your business but then don't cry if you are being taken. OK

Old 11-12-2013, 12:20 PM

4,373 posts, read 3,227,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
The Rights outlined in the Bill of Rights are not "given" to us by said document. We are born with them. Did you know that the founding fathers hesitated to even create a Bill of Rights for this very reason? They feared that a Bill of Rights would create the illusion that these are Rights "given" to us by government, and by proxy, could be taken away by the same government.
In the United States of America we are born with these rights, yes. The government does not give us rights, I agree. The Bill of Rights outlines the rights we do have and the US Constitution helps expand that as do the Amendments.

The fact that people are still able to purchase firearms proves that their rights are not being infringed upon. Until the day comes when they cannot purchase even one firearm or round of ammo for said firearm, they cannot argue their rights are being infringed upon.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:34 PM

5,563 posts, read 4,260,400 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
What exactly did these "goons" do wrong? Were they not also simply just exercising their right to assembly? Did they trespass? Threaten anyone? Break any laws whatsoever?

How is it that you feel this anti-gun group was completely fine in assembling and demonstrating their cause, but yet, the gun owners, who were essentially doing exactly the same thing, are considered "goons"? Sorry queeny, but that line of thinking is just not logical.
"Essentially doing exactly the same thing" is not a large group of "men" (and I use the term loosely) brandishing weapons in a threatening manner, and hiding behind cars and pointing their weapons at the restaurant.

Or at least, not in Normal World.

Old 11-12-2013, 01:17 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,601,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogfamily View Post
Isn't the pen supposed to be mightier than the sword?

How about a test before you are allowed to speak or post on the internet?
If you insist. This debate is not about pens or swords. It is about guns and the sentiment around the rights to own and use them. The two extremes are they should not exist and you should not think about legislating them. there is a middle ground, but I tend to agree with the constitutional arguements the anti-control crowd throws out. The prohibition on infringement seems to be pretty absolute. The arguement that this does not eliminate, just makes it more reasonable is the same threat as the slippery slope arguement used to rail against civil rights limits or search and siezure laws the other side has historically tried to pass.

If giving ground is a "slippery slope" to one side and thus inexcusable, why would that same logic be prohibited to the other?

A fair dialogue has long been needed, but it seems it will not happen in our lifetimes.

Old 11-12-2013, 01:31 PM

84 posts, read 123,094 times
Another Fudd bites the dust.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies