Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 10:54 AM

39,022 posts, read 51,068,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Okay, this makes much more sense to me and is exactly what I wanted clarified.
This is exactly like the plan I have now, and the other plans I have had over the years.
I get to spend a small amount to see the doctor, get prescriptions and should, heaven forbid, I or my dependent need hospitalization, the first $3000.00 is my responsibility and the rest is covered by my carrier.
But, I don't have to spend that $3000.00 first in order for the carrier to cover my office visits since the deductible does not apply to those.

I suppose that it would depend on the state, but, it seems to me that to change/eliminate that paradigm would completely defeat the purpose of buying coverage. Most people don't need anything other than routine well-checks in any given year and those are now free and would be available whether or not someone met their deductible.
Yes, one is still paying premiums, but, most people with employer-sponsored plans have always done so as well, albeit at a reduced rate.

It sounds to me like people would be well-advised to consult a health insurance professional to find out exactly what benefits they would be getting rather than relying on all of the misinformation being spread word-of-mouth.
The ones with the copay outside of the deductible give some piece of mind over recurring office visits, but the ones that most intrique me and keep calling my name are the HSA plans. In these you pay it all from day one up to the deductible but then you get the insurer paying. One that I like has a 2K deductible and after than you pay 20% up to the out of pocket max. The thing is that all your med costs, even dentists and thing outside of your health insurance are tax deductible in an HSA. So in my case I would be saving about 28% on all my medical care because that is my marginal tax bracket. Obama raised my taxes this year by changing the deduction for medical costs to above 10% of AGI to above 7.5%. So an HSA would let me get those tax deductions still. On the other hand, I risk that out of pocket maximum. Choices....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 10:54 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,522,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Did the house also schedule a vote to repeal Roe v. Wade too?

Isn't the house always generating and voting on bills that they know won't get passage in the senate, isn't the house therefore dithering and wasting more taxpayer time and money?

House Republicans Waste More Time Trying to Ban Abortion and Birth Control

Wait Until You Read How Republicans Just Wasted Everyone's Good Time - PolicyMic
No one cares about your inability to stick to the topic.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:55 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,314,885 times
Quote:
Okay, this makes much more sense to me and is exactly what I wanted clarified.
This is exactly like the plan I have now, and the other plans I have had over the years.
I get to spend a small amount to see the doctor, get prescriptions and should, heaven forbid, I or my dependent need hospitalization, the first $3000.00 is my responsibility and the rest is covered by my carrier.
But, I don't have to spend that $3000.00 first in order for the carrier to cover my office visits since the deductible does not apply to those.

I suppose that it would depend on the state, but, it seems to me that to change/eliminate that paradigm would completely defeat the purpose of buying coverage. Most people don't need anything other than routine well-checks in any given year and those are now free and would be available whether or not someone met their deductible.
Yes, one is still paying premiums, but, most people with employer-sponsored plans have always done so as well, albeit at a reduced rate.

It sounds to me like people would be well-advised to consult a health insurance professional to find out exactly what benefits they would be getting rather than relying on all of the misinformation being spread word-of-mouth.
That's your deductible/out of pocket. For some it's going to be as high as $6K/$12K.
I have a high deductible plan now with a $5K out of pocket expense.

And all plans are state specific. There is no "national" here.

I actually got better, cheaper health insurance when I moved to Texas.
And it was Blue Cross/Blue Shield that I had in both states yet the premium/deductible were drastically different.

Old 11-07-2013, 10:59 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,651,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
That's your deductible/out of pocket. For some it's going to be as high as $6K/$12K.
I have a high deductible plan now with a $5K out of pocket expense.

And all plans are state specific. There is no "national" here.

I actually got better, cheaper health insurance when I moved to Texas.
And it was Blue Cross/Blue Shield that I had in both states yet the premium/deductible were drastically different.
Do you have to spend that $5000 before your office visits are covered?

Old 11-07-2013, 11:01 AM

4,569 posts, read 3,388,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
Did the house also schedule a vote to repeal Roe v. Wade too?

Isn't the house always generating and voting on bills that they know won't get passage in the senate, isn't the house therefore dithering and wasting more taxpayer time and money?

House Republicans Waste More Time Trying to Ban Abortion and Birth Control

Wait Until You Read How Republicans Just Wasted Everyone's Good Time - PolicyMic

Maybe not this time:

White House tries to reassure Democratic lawmakers about Obamacare - latimes.com

15 US DEMOCRAT senators meet with Obama over ACA Issues, does not sound like they are very happy.

Old 11-07-2013, 11:01 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,224,027 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Can we just repeal ACA and impeach BHO, now?
Sigh.
Ya, go for it, if you can get the votes. oh, wait...43 tries later, I reckon not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by armourereric View Post
Maybe not this time:

White House tries to reassure Democratic lawmakers about Obamacare - latimes.com

15 US DEMOCRAT senators meet with Obama over ACA Issues, does not sound like they are very happy.
You can keep your healthcare, Obama.
Poorly chosen words on his part, he should have gone further into detail on what he really meant.

If an insurance program or policy does not meet the requirements of the ACA, of course those policies will be canceled, as most were likely junk insurance policies to begin with, shopping https://www.healthcare.gov/ the ACA policies are better than those being canceled.

With that being said, the GOP is still wasting taxpayer money and time trying to repeal laws they do not have the votes to do it with.

Last edited by NoJiveMan; 11-07-2013 at 11:09 AM..

Old 11-07-2013, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Do you have to spend that $5000 before your office visits are covered?
No. It's just like the plan you have. Insurance covers some but you still have to spend that much before it fully kicks in.

If you break your foot you are on the hook for the first $6K before insurance pays if that is your first medical incident in a given year.

The issue I see is that this affects people that can't afford their monthly premiums to begin with.
Where are they going to come up with this type of money if they have an emergency ?
And what if they go out of network that isn't covered ?

Now you can opt for a higher premium with a lower deductible but the point was that people needed cheap premiums wasn't it ?

It's similar to car insurance and homeowners insurance.
Something happens and you have to pay $X before insurance pays the rest.

Old 11-07-2013, 11:05 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,651,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The ones with the copay outside of the deductible give some piece of mind over recurring office visits, but the ones that most intrique me and keep calling my name are the HSA plans. In these you pay it all from day one up to the deductible but then you get the insurer paying. One that I like has a 2K deductible and after than you pay 20% up to the out of pocket max. The thing is that all your med costs, even dentists and thing outside of your health insurance are tax deductible in an HSA. So in my case I would be saving about 28% on all my medical care because that is my marginal tax bracket. Obama raised my taxes this year by changing the deduction for medical costs to above 10% of AGI to above 7.5%. So an HSA would let me get those tax deductions still. On the other hand, I risk that out of pocket maximum. Choices....
Those plans are very attractive. It really does depend on how much care you think you'll need in a given year.
We have a medical flex-plan at work and it is always tricky trying to determine out much to have set aside for it each plan year so as not to lose too much/any when the year closes.
I really do like having it "banked," however, as it makes it so much easier when the kiddo breaks yet another pair of glasses.

Old 11-07-2013, 11:08 AM

11,086 posts, read 8,522,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Can we just repeal ACA and impeach BHO, now?
Sigh.
Since that can't be done due to Democrat opposition, let's instead get their support for this abomination on record for next year's election. The consequences that leftists are incapable of anticipating will keep being revealed in the meantime. Their vote on this will also have consequences beyond their power to imagine.

Old 11-07-2013, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Those plans are very attractive. It really does depend on how much care you think you'll need in a given year.
We have a medical flex-plan at work and it is always tricky trying to determine out much to have set aside for it each plan year so as not to lose too much/any when the year closes.
I really do like having it "banked," however, as it makes it so much easier when the kiddo breaks yet another pair of glasses.
Well if you have kids then definitely go for the lower out of pocket because you'll spend that quite easily with kids.

I didn't go to a high deductible plan until my son was on his own.
Raising kids one can easily meet their annual deductible via a few trips to the ER.

In one case my son got a deep gash on his head. They shaved a small spot and put staples in it..staples !
I had to go to school with him and tell the office that he has visible staples in his head and that it was OK so they wouldn't panic
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies