Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2013, 08:48 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,394,916 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cremebrulee View Post
did you ever stop and think for one moment, why people are getting fatter? Maybe, just maybe, they are emotional eaters, sick and tired of all this stress that the government is placing on us? I'm not defending them, but the real reasons have not been considered....here....and the thing about it costing you more money in the long run, you have no clue as to what is REALLY costing you more money in the long run....
Oh please...you're blaming the government for people stuffing their faces with unhealthy food? That's a pretty pathetic argument.

What's hilarious is all the right wingers in this thread are the same types that mock Michelle Obama for trying to encourage people to drink more water and get healthier food choices into public schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2013, 08:49 AM

5,563 posts, read 4,262,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyon Cat View Post
There's a point where you have to realize that you're arguing "religion" with certain people. The cat lady has spoken and it'll never make sense.
Neither one of you has addressed my point. No surprise, though.

Old 11-08-2013, 08:51 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Well, what was your point?

Old 11-08-2013, 08:51 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,948,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It's more than just reading labels.
It's going back to making food from scratch.
Sure it takes a bit longer and doesn't last on the counter for 3-6 weeks but that's what it takes to stay healthy.
I can attest to this. I just lost my Grandma 3 weeks ago at 92. She still lived by herself, drove and was the oldest person ever to be working at Lowe's at the time she passed. She made all her food from scratch and I think that did a lot to keep her going strong until the end.

Old 11-08-2013, 08:53 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmqueen View Post
Provide some statistics on the number of poor people that only have hot plates to cook on.
I provided US Census numbers that over 90% live in a home/apartment and 96% have a microwave oven.

Old 11-08-2013, 08:57 AM

20,459 posts, read 12,381,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
I'm still PO'd about the whole light bulb deal.
more nanny state bad science.

we were forced to CFLs that dump mercury into landfills which will eventually get to the water table.

government is killing us.

Old 11-08-2013, 08:59 AM

20,459 posts, read 12,381,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
I really don't have a big problem with this. Note that I'm not IN FAVOR of government telling people what they can and can't consume. However, with as big an epidemic as obesity and heart disease have become in this country, it's obvious not enough people could be trusted to "read the labels" and "make their own eating decisions."

Trans fats cost all of us more money in the long run, through increased health care and insurance costs.
True, but lets not forget how it happened. GOVERNMENT forced the use of transfats. these are not naturally occuring fats. you have to make them.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:00 AM

28,892 posts, read 30,269,602 times
Quote:
I can attest to this. I just lost my Grandma 3 weeks ago at 92. She still lived by herself, drove and was the oldest person ever to be working at Lowe's at the time she passed. She made all her food from scratch and I think that did a lot to keep her going strong until the end.
Oh yeah, it has nothing to do with maybe, genetics?
My mother also lived to 92, and guess what, it was time for her to go.
sometimes, just sometimes, not everyone is made up the same way genetically....
hell, when you fill out any form for medical information, why do you think they ask, if there are any diseases in your family history? Heart problems, etc.?

Sometimes, shiat happens...yanno, not everyone is made like your grandma....or my pop pop who lived to be 107.

I'm glad she had good genes, glad she lived that long, however, take into account people with severe pain and arthritis who are not as lucky as our grand parents....there are thousands of people out there who don't want to live anymore due to pain but have to, and it has nothing to do with trans fats.

I cannot believe that so many American's are unable to view a much larger picture

Things do not happen for one reason, but many.

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
That's nothing more then plain old logical thinking.

What makes that loaf of bread from the store last 3+ weeks without getting mold ?
Fresh bread only lasts a few days.

It's no big deal to mix your own pancake mix with the ingredients.
Cakes as well using cake flour.
I do still buy the box of red velvet cake mix though as I just can't get the ingredients right.

"Convenience" is the killer here and people will not revert back to the old days.

I worked in Austin and when we had dept parties all the food was pre-made and bought from local stores.
Then I moved rural and worked in the school. Not one pre-made food item appeared at the staff party.
It was all home made.

Where I live now people still can and cook from scratch.
Rural folks live differently than urban folks that's for sure.

5,563 posts, read 4,262,489 times
Quote:
Provide some statistics on the number of poor people that only have hot plates to cook on.
I provided US Census numbers that over 90% live in a home/apartment and 96% have a microwave oven.
Still ignoring my point.

1. Poor people should not have nice things because they're too expensive (very common whine here on CD) but if they don't cook wonderful meals while having nothing to cook on, they're lazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyon Cat View Post

Lazy = unhealthy. Cheap food can be healthy, but it is rarely convenient. Get it?

How much is a soup pot, a sauce pan, and a frying pan? Next to nothing. Unless you're living in a box somewhere you probably have an stove and oven. Stop enabling the people who are too busy crying about their situation but can't trouble themselves to eat better and benefit their families by stretching their food dollars.

Since when is a phone a right? You can buy affordable "nice" clothes at Goodwill. If you can afford to drive a car, pay for insurance, and gas it up . . . you can afford to feed yourself and your family. Let's not conflate "wants" with "needs".
2. Poor people have lots of nice things because they're inexpensive, so they can all damn well cook wonderful meals from scratch in their wonderful ovens and fabulous homes.

Quote:
I suggest you go read the Census report on "poverty".
92% of the poor have microwave ovens. That "hot plate" is long gone.
96% of the poor say their children have never been hungry.
50% live in a single family home and 40% live in an apartment.

This is not the 1930's Great Depression.

Understanding Poverty in the United States: Poverty USA
For decades, the living conditions of the poor have steadily improved. Consumer items that were luxuries or significant purchases for the middle class a few decades ago have become commonplace in poor households, partially because of the normal downward price trend that follows introduction of a new product.
Which is it? (This should be good … the twisting and turning. )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies