Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-08-2013, 11:29 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,544,683 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
So what?

Lil' Sen Randy understands that his followers can't pronounce plagiarism, much less get worked up about him doing it.

Old 11-08-2013, 11:30 AM

10,942 posts, read 10,256,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
A school kid? He copied an entire speech in 1987! Biden was a sitting Senator who was running for POTUS.
And it sunk his candidacy.

Run, Rand, run!

Old 11-08-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post
A school kid? He copied an entire speech in 1987! Biden was a sitting Senator who was running for POTUS.
But did Biden wish he could challenge someone to a duel?

Quote:
On “This Week” Sunday, Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., dismissed charges of plagiarism in his speeches and writing made in the last week, saying he was being “unfairly targeted by a bunch of hacks and haters” who he wishes he could challenge to a “duel.”
Sen. Rand Paul Wishes He Could Challenge Plagiarism Critics to a ‘Duel’; Calls Them ‘Hacks and Haters’ - ABC News

What a doofus.

Run, Rand, run!

lol

Old 11-08-2013, 11:39 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix C View Post
Similar occurred to Joe Biden years ago when he was hopig for the Democratic Presidential candidacy. He plagarized a speech from a UK MP.

Here it is: Why Biden's plagiarims shouldn't be forgotten.

I recall because it was a powerful speech and then all humbug because he stole it from someone else.
This is where I have to note that Mr. Biden has already made several appearances in this thread.

Only responding to add this:

"But those articles did not note that while Biden did not attribute portions of a Kinnock speech he paraphrased during an August 23, 1987, Democratic presidential primary debate, and during an August 26, 1987, interview for the National Education Association, Biden reportedly had credited Kinnock. "

Media outlets reported allegations Biden plagiarized Kinnock, but not that he had previously credited him | Research | Media Matters for America

Old 11-08-2013, 11:41 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,706,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
Biden received an "F" in the class for the paper he submitted in 1965, 22 years prior to running for President. He DID cite the article from which he lifted the text. He re-took the class the following year.

Biden Admits Plagiarism in School But Says It Was Not 'Malevolent' - NYTimes.com
Thanks for clarifying. I noted the "F" solely to show that Mr. Biden did not profit from his misdeed as Mr. Paul has done.

Old 11-08-2013, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Now if only the left would get as upset over Obama lying his ass off to get the ACA passed, and then lying for three more years to get reelected. With some of these Obama boot-lickers, that will never happen.

Paul lifting quotes from someone else does not cause tens of millions of American citizens to lose their health care insurance.
So this thread is about the ACA?

Odd - I thought it was about Dueling Rand. lol

Old 11-08-2013, 11:47 AM

4,176 posts, read 4,671,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Thanks for clarifying. I noted the "F" solely to show that Mr. Biden did not profit from his misdeed as Mr. Paul has done.

Well...I guess. Rand Paul would have profited whether or not he plagiarized. If you're stupid enough to buy his book, then you deserve whatever you get. He could have re-printed the entire 1980 New York City yellow pages and certain dumbasses would have still bought the book.

I suppose you could make the case that future books won't sell, but I doubt that's the case. Maybe Buzzfeed could determine what percent of his book was plagiarized, and then ask Paul to donate that percent of the profits to charity.

Old 11-08-2013, 11:51 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,242,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
Now if only the left would get as upset over Obama lying his ass off to get the ACA passed, and then lying for three more years to get reelected. With some of these Obama boot-lickers, that will never happen.

Paul lifting quotes from someone else does not cause tens of millions of American citizens to lose their health care insurance.

Oh shoot, not again!

Old 11-08-2013, 11:56 AM

46,963 posts, read 25,998,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostrider275452 View Post
The question is, is it plagiarism or not, I don't believe it was...
Clap harder!

Old 11-08-2013, 11:57 AM

12,973 posts, read 15,805,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
If you use someone else's work, any segment thereof, and you don't cite the source, then you are claiming it as yours.

It doesn't matter where you get the information. If you "borrow" someone's post from CD forum, and you put it in a paper authored by you, and you don't cite what you borrowed, that's plagiarism. Biden wrote a dissertation where he "borrowed" from someone else. Rand wrote a BOOK where he "borrowed" from someone else. That's plagiarism.

I have nieces and nephews in high school and college who don't seem to have been taught what plagiarism is. If someone has a nice turn of phrase that you decide to use, you can't claim that turn of phrase as your own. You have to credit the person you "borrowed" it from. Ideas, work, words, have to be credited to the original source. Otherwise, if you include them in your speech, your news column, your book, you're claiming them as your own. And that's plagiarism.
It gets tricky in the area of ideas and concepts. That of course is not the Rand problem...He was lifting intact sentences. But there are virtually no new ideas or concept in the worlds of philosophy and political concepts.

A well removed example...recipes. There are virtually none that are actually original. Virtually all have a predecessor of basically the same items. So aside from lifting the text directly it would be difficult to plagiarize a recipe.

If i write on a concept I will quote anyone who I use directly. But much less likely to cite conceptual work back to Locke or Thomas Aquinas. And then you combine three or four different thought into a new thing.

I am somewhat sympathetic to Rand in some of the stuff. I see little evil intent in quoting a Wikipedia summary of a movie. That is more in the class of a clerical breakdown.

What he should have said was something along the line of "darn, I will fix that" and then fixed that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies