Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 08:30 AM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Yes, apparently you can become a VP after plagiarizing something as a school kid. The problem Paul has is the fact that he did it while he is a US Senator. He could be impeached for this.
There was much more to the Biden saga than school offenses:

Why Biden's plagiarims shouldn't be forgotten.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slate
Biden lifted Kinnock's precise turns of phrase and his sequences of ideas... But the even greater sin was to borrow biographical facts from Kinnock that, although true about Kinnock, didn't apply to Biden. Unlike Kinnock, Biden wasn't the first person in his family history to attend college, as he asserted; nor were his ancestors coal miners...,.. Once exposed, Biden's campaign team managed to come up with a great-grandfather who had been a mining engineer....
Democrats forgave Biden. Will they forgive Rand Paul? No such luck, they're going to be on him like a ton of sanctimonious bricks. Anyway, as a Republican all I can say is that I'm glad we found out about this now rather than in October of 2016. My question for any plagiarist would be: if your writings are fake, what else about you is fake?

Old 11-08-2013, 08:37 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,305,052 times
Quote:
More plagiarism accusations against Sen. Rand Paul - CBS News

Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky., already in hot water over accusations that he plagiarized portions of his book and several recent speeches, has a new headache to contend with: On Thursday, BuzzFeed reported that additional passages from his book "Government Bullies" were plagiarized from articles by think tank academics.

Paul has previously sustained fire from critics for copying portions of his book from conservative think tanks like the Heritage Foundation and the Cato Institute, and he has also faced accusations that he plagiarized several Wikipedia articles as well as an Associated Press article in recent speeches.

In this most recent episode, Paul copied nearly word-for-word an article by Timothy Sandefur of the Pacific Legal Foundation that was published in January 2012 in "Regulation," a quarterly journal from the Cato Institute. He also included a near-verbatim copy of a section from the same journal written in 2010 by law professor Jonathan Adler.
Definitely shows without a doubt the depth of the mans character and intellect..

Old 11-08-2013, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Definitely shows without a doubt the depth of the mans character and intellect..
And you say the same for Vice President Biden, right????

Old 11-08-2013, 08:54 AM

25,021 posts, read 27,933,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
And you say the same for Vice President Biden, right????
Biden is a bumbling idiot who plagiarized for a grade. Rand Paul is outright fraud who plagiarized AND made money off someone else's work and not crediting them for it or paying any royalties. That is way worse than what Biden did. This shows that you are willing to excuse criminal and civil tort behavior if they are the same party as yours. Despicable

Old 11-08-2013, 09:00 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Democrats forgave Biden. Will they forgive Rand Paul? No such luck, they're going to be on him like a ton of sanctimonious bricks.
Apparently Republicans did not forgive Biden if they still talk about it 55 years later. Sounds like they consider it a very serious offence.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:07 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times
Quote:

Democrats forgave Biden. Will they forgive Rand Paul? No such luck, they're going to be on him like a ton of sanctimonious bricks. Anyway, as a Republican all I can say is that I'm glad we found out about this now rather than in October of 2016. My question for any plagiarist would be: if your writings are fake, what else about you is fake?
I think a lot of these people rely on professional speech writers, and at times it may be they who are the plagiarists, especially when they are writing a book with the help from an experienced author.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:11 AM

14,292 posts, read 9,678,440 times
Quote:
Apparently Republicans did not forgive Biden if they still talk about it 55 years later. Sounds like they consider it a very serious offence.
To me it only matters if the person is engaging in plagiarism because they have no ideas of their own, and the steal from others to create a false impression that they are an intelligent well spoken public speaker. Paul is a good public speaker, he does not need to use other people's words. Biden, on the other hand, is a clumsy awkward public speaker, prone to gaffes and misstatements.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Read the link I posted. It was not 55 years ago, and it wasn't a school days thing. If you want to stay in denial about Biden while dumping all over Paul, so be it. I guess being a liberal means that you CAN have your cake and eat it too.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:23 AM

6,993 posts, read 6,338,198 times
Quote:

You are correct, Biden, in 1988, had history of lies, misstatements and plagiarism.
Quote:
The sheer number and extent of Biden's fibs, distortions, and plagiarisms struck many observers at the time as worrisome, to say the least. While a media feeding frenzy (a term popularized in the 1988 campaign) always creates an unseemly air of hysteria, Biden deserved the scrutiny he received. Quitting the race was the right thing to do.
Also, in your link:
Quote:
Twenty-one years on, how much should Biden's past behavior matter? In and of itself, the plagiarism episode shouldn't automatically disqualify Biden from regaining favor and credibility, especially if in the intervening two decades he's not done more of the same, as seems to be the case.
The Slate article was written in 2008, so it's actually been 25 years with no more incidences. Slate is a liberal, English language online current affairs and culture magazine (from Wiki) that took a very critical look at the Dem VP candidate only months before the election - for something the candidate did 21 years earlier. How many right leaning online anythings are taking a critical look a Paul for plagiarisms he's committed in the immediate past? Is any right winger suggesting that Rand "quit the race?"

It's not up to Democrats to forgive Paul's plagiarism - they wouldn't vote for him under any circumstances. It's Paul's base that needs to sit back and take a look at his history of plagiarism in books, articles, and speeches, and then decide if this is the kind of person they want representing them.

Old 11-08-2013, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OICU812 View Post
I think a lot of these people rely on professional speech writers, and at times it may be they who are the plagiarists, especially when they are writing a book with the help from an experienced author.
I'm sure that is sometimes the case. Biden blamed at least one of his incidents on Pat Caddell. But the main one, of copycatting Brit pol Kinnock, was completely Biden's fault, according to the Slate article. An aide showed Biden a video of Kinnock's speech, and Biden was so taken with it that he decided to use it himself.

Last edited by wutitiz; 11-08-2013 at 09:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies