Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: If you can't afford insurance or out of pocket care, should you still be eligible to receive life -
Yes - It should be a right for any individual in acute distress 13 86.67%
No - It should be a privilege reserved only for those who can afford it 2 13.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 02:20 PM

872 posts, read 827,938 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proud2beAMom View Post
There are many on this board who espouse the "pull yourself up by the bootstraps" mentality. I get personal responsibility.. of course I do.. I'm considered a liberal, and I have tons of it (personal responsibility). Hell, what Iv'e been through in the past few years I'm an example of pulling myself by the bootstraps.

There are those that are indignant because they don't think they need the expense. They are quite arrogant about it.

Yes, indeed, I get the anger over the person that is completely irresponsible and is so arrogant as to believe they don't need it.. and to niave of the system to think they will just 'pay for it themselves' when they do need it.

I suppose I should rephrase the question.. what kind of litmus test do you put into place to determine who is simply being arrogant or irresponsible.. or just made the choice to not have it but could afford it?

Maybe this will answer your question???
A new Gallup poll brings more terrible news for President Obama and his signature health plan, showing that only 22% of uninsured Americans intend to buy insurance through the ObamaCare exchanges.

Poll: 78% of Uninsured Not Interested in ObamaCare
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2013, 04:43 PM

577 posts, read 435,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
That is a great question and it is at the very heart of fixing our broken "entitlement" system. I do not have a good definition. But I know it when I see it, and I see it a lot. My family is full of deadbeats who abuse well-intentioned programs from EBT to Obamaphones. They make their living doing it and they live like they were solid middle class wage earners though they haven't worked a day in years. It disgusts me that they are riding free while others in the family are having 1/3 of our incomes siphoned off to pay the bills for them. There are far, far too many free fares being given out.

But with the passage of ACA, we now have at least one metric of responsibility and a real consequence. If you fail to purchase insurance, then you don't get treatment. Of course it won't work out that way because of all the bleeding hearts that are willing to look the other way and continue their societal co-dependent behavior.
First off..I take issue with the term Obamaphone because it was actually put into practice under the Bush Adminstration policy.

Do they work at all? Because we do have welfare to work programs. Most of the poor are working poor. IF they are working jobs you think are not "good enough " to meet your test of being lazy or not (I'm not saying you are.. but asking seriously.. do they work?).. if they don't work, why are they collecting welfare.. what is there reason to hte U.S government that they are not working or can't? Injury, accident?

And, what you define as middle class also depends on perception.

Middle class was having new clothes every school year
Parents each had a good car to go to work in
Owned their home
Took vacations once a year to a destination in the U.S
Got most of what we wanted within reason as children
WEre able to join extra curricula activities paid for by parents (uniforms, equipment etc)

I could go on as to WHAT is middle class.

Do they own their home?
What kind of home do they live in (is it run down, rented)
What kind of neighborhood are they living in.
What kind of vehicle do they drive
Where do they shop for clothes - and what kind of clothes do they wear.
Do they go out to eat often?
Do they take family vacations.
Do their kids have all the latest toys.. are they able to get it for them.. or are they provided by other family members as gifts.

I'm just asking because I don't think people really think about what a life of someone on assistance is REALLY like vs. what "mask" they put up for others.. becuase being on assistance comes with a stigma - so maybe they make it look like they aren't when they are.. and looks can be decieving.

A litmus test is basically how much someone earns.. and that is why subsidized healthcare and medicaid have cut off's.. amounts.

There are things that people who seemingly "mooch" ,a s people like to say, will never have and things they will never experience that you would. Simply becuase they get some assitance, doesn't make their life dandy and great while the rest of us have such a hard hard life..

The grass always looks greener. Perhaps it appears as if they are getting some great fabulous free ride.. I bet it isn't as fabulous as they let you or make others think it is.....

Just trying to give a little different perspective is all and no disrepect is meant...

Old 11-08-2013, 04:45 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,678,521 times
Yes.

And thats exactly what this woman did too:

Audrey Ferguson, South Carolina woman, allegedly used ambulance as taxi service

Old 11-08-2013, 04:49 PM

577 posts, read 435,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassy001 View Post
Maybe this will answer your question???
A new Gallup poll brings more terrible news for President Obama and his signature health plan, showing that only 22% of uninsured Americans intend to buy insurance through the ObamaCare exchanges.

Poll: 78% of Uninsured Not Interested in ObamaCare
I don't put much faith in polls sometimes.

For one, I'm very interested in Obamacare.. and I was never asked ..... so who are all these people that are asked?

That Gallup poll also doesn't account for whether those making these decisions are actually armed with the right information about the law. And , there is A LOT of misinformation floating around EVERYWHERE... it's qutie sad actually. And, if I hadn't done some digging (and reading of the law) myself I might not think its so hot if I believed everything I 'heard" or "read" on the internet or on the news about it.

So.. I wonder, who are these people and WHY are they not interested.. THAT is the true question.. because if the answer ends up being based on something that isn't even factual.. well then the problem is not with the law, but with the information that people have or don't have about it...

It's too early to call anything a failure..way too early. They said the same things about many other programs ...

Old 11-08-2013, 07:23 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,841,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679
I'm not sure tbh. I wouldn't expect free care though.
Its hard to say which is right....... I picked the first option but in all fairness,I DONT KNOW WHAT THE BETTER OPTION IS!! (If someone is dying outside a doctors office should they be IGNORED because they cant afford the insane prices??)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies