Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-08-2013, 01:45 PM

45,523 posts, read 27,133,570 times

Advertisements

'You're cancelled!' Twitter under fire for taking down photo feed of people who've lost health insurance since Obamacare

More than 3.5 million Americans have lost their individual health insurance plans as the Obamacare system nears full implementation, and an irreverent website and Twitter account is showing off their cancellation letters.

But the project, mycancellation.com, has had a rocky start, with Twitter freezing its account at least three times since it launched last week.

'We were suspended yesterday late afternoon without a notice email,' site co-creator Victoria Coley told The Daily Caller on Monday.

Letters shown at Mycancellation.com come from more than 80 different insurance companies. Most of them specify that the policy cancellations are due to the Affordable Care Act.

Many include massive rate increases for customers who want to renew with new policies that comply with the law's minimum standards.

One shows a policyholder forced to choose new coverage by December 15 in order to be insured on January 1. His monthly premium spiked to $1,198.45 per month, a 315 per cent increase.

Another received a letter saying his plan would no longer be offered 'due to the Affordable Care Act.' He and his wife are expecting a baby on December 30.

In order to get a new plan with the same monthly premium, he will have to accept an annual deductible of $10,000 instead of the $3,000 level he has now.

'If our child is born just two days later,' he writes, 'our costs will go up $7,000 to have our child for no other reason than the "Affordable Care Act."'

Real life issues here.

And as I will continue to say... this is the plan toward single payer. Nuke insurance companies so that the government option is the only one standing.

If you don't want single payer - private insurance companies somehow must be maintained as an option. They can not go out of business. Gotta figure out something.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-08-2013, 02:24 PM

4,866 posts, read 5,675,245 times
People will be crying and asking the government to fix the mess they made in the first place.

Because the government is so effective!

I am lucky I have healthcare through my employer though my deductibles are very high and I can't afford it.

Old 11-08-2013, 02:27 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,912,698 times
Why are you complaining? Twitter is a private company. You have no first amendment with a private company

Old 11-08-2013, 02:54 PM

45,523 posts, read 27,133,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Why are you complaining? Twitter is a private company. You have no first amendment with a private company
I didn't say anything anti-Twitter. I quoted what they did.

Don't know why you are even bringing up the 1st amendment...

Old 11-08-2013, 02:57 PM

23,802 posts, read 24,078,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Who said anything about the 1st Amendment?

Oh, that's right, YOU did. Nobody else. Just YOU.

Old 11-08-2013, 03:21 PM

11,768 posts, read 10,254,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRob4JC View Post
I didn't say anything anti-Twitter. I quoted what they did.

Don't know why you are even bringing up the 1st amendment...
Why bring up what Twitter did if you weren't trying to bring light to the fact that they are stifling free speech? If you were just trying to point out that people are receiving cancellation notices, well, this would be a duplicate thread then. If the latter is your point I would choose a different example to prove your point though because the people in NY are actually seeing premiums decrease, most of them anyway.

Old 11-08-2013, 05:17 PM

544 posts, read 610,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Why bring up what Twitter did if you weren't trying to bring light to the fact that they are stifling free speech?

Because people like me and others want to know what Twitter supports. And they obviously don't support freedom. Whether it is freedom of different opinions on their website, or the freedom to not buy health insurance.

Just because someone complains that twitter took down the page, does not mean they think it should be "illegal" for them to do so. They are just doing what the free market allows, to boycott companies who don't share your views.

Old 11-08-2013, 05:22 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,939,543 times
Speaking of Twitter, can someone explain to me how a company with ZERO revenue is worth $30B+?

Old 11-08-2013, 05:40 PM

544 posts, read 610,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Speaking of Twitter, can someone explain to me how a company with ZERO revenue is worth $30B+?
Shhh.... Let the twitz and the rich make their money and bail before it collapses.

Old 11-08-2013, 06:17 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,432,426 times
Twitter is free to post what they please, and obviously they do. To bad in this case they will only post the positive, and not what is happening to so many current health care policy holders. The truth of their premiums skyrocketing, and not getting the quality of health care they already have.

As usual if it has to do with any negative assoicated with Obama, down it comes. Private company or not don't the people have a right to see the true facts associated with this bill. And how so many americans that have decent health insurance are being impacted.

So very crystal clear, that many online sites only seem to post what is in their opinion positive and not the negative. To be fair, we need to see who truly is honestly happy, and how many lives have been interupted and displaced by this new health care bill. That will bring more worry then anything good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies