Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 05:27 AM

41,815 posts, read 50,897,127 times

Advertisements

You can in PA however their food sales have to be less that 20% of their gross.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2013, 05:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
Banning smoking in bars ensures freedom and a nicer environment.
That's a twisted view of freedom. Freedom by it's very definition is being able to make your own choices. Without a ban you have the freedom to choose what establishments you want to enter. If you want to go somewhere that allows smoking you go there, if you want to go somewhere that doesn't allow smoking you go there. The owner of that establishment also has the freedom to establish what smoking rules they want. That's freedom.

Old 11-10-2013, 05:50 AM

12,268 posts, read 6,434,213 times
I just wish there would be a little more honesty with the bans. It stinks and that`s the reason for the smoking bans and I`m ok with that. As a retired factory worker and an ex smoker I thought it was ridiculous when they tried to outlaw smoking in all bars even places where there was no food being served. Consider this: A smoker owns the bar, the bartenders and most of the customers smoke and here in Pa. they tried to ban smoking in places like this. Sanity carried the day and these places were allowed to stay in business. Banning smoking in places like this would have killed the business for sure.

Old 11-10-2013, 08:32 AM

544 posts, read 609,170 times
You can smoke at the private bars located in the basements of the democrat politicians mansions. However, you have to bribe them with something of value to get in.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:30 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,568,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
That's a twisted view of freedom. Freedom by it's very definition is being able to make your own choices. Without a ban you have the freedom to choose what establishments you want to enter. If you want to go somewhere that allows smoking you go there, if you want to go somewhere that doesn't allow smoking you go there. The owner of that establishment also has the freedom to establish what smoking rules they want. That's freedom.
The right to not be subjected to smoke in a place of business, is vastly more important than the right to smoke.

The right of business owners isn't always paramount. Do you think airlines should allow their pilots to have a few beers while flying, in the name of freedom?

Some smokers are playing the poor little victim card, a new minority.

Old 11-10-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:
The right to not be subjected to smoke in a place of business, is vastly more important than the right to smoke.
You are not being subjected to anything, if you choose to enter an establishment that allows smoking you have no one to blame but yourself. If you don't have the maturity or are not responsible enough to make that decision for yourself you don't belong in a bar to begin with.

Quote:
Do you think airlines should allow their pilots to have a few beers while flying, in the name of freedom?
That's a very poor analogy, it's quite clear that a drunk pilot poses an unavoidable risk to the general public. If you want to make a comparison with a pilot it would be similar to banning smoking in places like a courthouse where the exposure to the general public would be unavoidable. We're not discussing courthouses though, we're discussing bars where you have the option to simply not enter the door.

Old 11-10-2013, 11:06 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,568,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
You are not being subjected to anything, if you choose to enter an establishment that allows smoking you have no one to blame but yourself. If you don't have the maturity or are not responsible enough to make that decision for yourself you don't belong in a bar to begin with.

That's a very poor analogy, it's quite clear that a drunk pilot poses an unavoidable risk to the general public. If you want to make a comparison with a pilot it would be similar to banning smoking in places like a courthouse where the exposure to the general public would be unavoidable. We're not discussing courthouses though, we're discussing bars where you have the option to simply not enter the door.
Who cares about smokers? I don't and I'm sick of having to make "mature decisions" because of someone's nasty little habit. Some freedoms are worth s**t, but some people just don't get that.

It's a good analogy. It's health and safety first and foremost. Just because smoking doesn't cause obvious immediate problems, doesn't mean it's not a risk.

Old 11-10-2013, 11:28 AM

77,013 posts, read 47,448,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasdrubal View Post
I miss the good ole 80's, the last decade when you could light up a cig after having dinner or while having some mixed drinks at a club. It seems like smoking bans have gone over the top, and the once proud American smokers ( which undoubtely gave males that macho attitude, and gave women that sexy, enticing look) are now treated like lepers. My dad has even told me about the time when ashtrays were available inside hospital rooms (ok, I agree this needed to be stopped).

So, if you live or know an area where smoking is still not seen as a vicious and disgusting act, please tell us.
You can smoke in bars in Florida, but not in restaurants (unless it is an outdoors restaurant).

Old 11-10-2013, 01:11 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,391,289 times
Quote:
It's health and safety first and foremost.
That is a flat out lie. When they can ban smoking in public parks, but allow charcoal barbeques, one would have to be a complete idiot, or a deliberate liar, to believe that it has anything to do with "health and safety." It is about fascist control, nothing more.

Old 11-10-2013, 01:41 PM

329 posts, read 429,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hasdrubal View Post
I miss the good ole 80's, the last decade when you could light up a cig after having dinner or while having some mixed drinks at a club. It seems like smoking bans have gone over the top, and the once proud American smokers ( which undoubtely gave males that macho attitude, and gave women that sexy, enticing look) are now treated like lepers. My dad has even told me about the time when ashtrays were available inside hospital rooms (ok, I agree this needed to be stopped).

So, if you live or know an area where smoking is still not seen as a vicious and disgusting act, please tell us.
You can smoke in bars in Georgia or anyplace that is 21 and over.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies