Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-09-2013, 09:57 AM

72,926 posts, read 62,490,709 times

Advertisements

I get concerned for this reason. I don't want this to turn into something violent. I think about Golden Dawn in Greece. I've wanted to travel there. Now I wonder how I will travel there safely? I am American, but I'm also Black. My #1 concern, if I am a tourist, is safety.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2013, 09:59 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,402,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
I get concerned for this reason. I don't want this to turn into something violent. I think about Golden Dawn in Greece. I've wanted to travel there. Now I wonder how I will travel there safely? I am American, but I'm also Black. My #1 concern, if I am a tourist, is safety.
Greece's problems are not due to immigration issues.
Their problems are fundamentally economic.

I do think the days of freely traveling the world to see the sights are coming to an end.

Old 11-09-2013, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Greece's problems are not due to immigration issues.
Their problems are fundamentally economic.

I do think the days of freely traveling the world to see the sights are coming to an end.
The problems are economic. Now, on one hand, I don't favor illegal immigration of any kind. I can understand that. On the other hand, there are those who will take their anger out on those who don't look like them, no matter if they came illegally, if they are citizens, tourists, or legal residents. In times of economic turmoil, it turns ugly.

I've also dreamed of being able to travel the world, and I got this idea from watching shows like Globe Trekker, Alby Mangel's Adventure Bound, Michael Palin's Full Circle and Pole to Pole. If often thought "if those persons can travel the world, why not me?" When I was 13 or 14, I never considered there might be places where some persons may not want me there and would even turn to even kill me to let me know that. Now I have to consider that, and it scares me.

Old 11-09-2013, 10:13 AM

Quote:
The problems are economic. Now, on one hand, I don't favor illegal immigration of any kind. I can understand that. On the other hand, there are those who will take their anger out on those who don't look like them, no matter if they came illegally, if they are citizens, tourists, or legal residents. In times of economic turmoil, it turns ugly.

I've also dreamed of being able to travel the world, and I got this idea from watching shows like Globe Trekker, Alby Mangel's Adventure Bound, Michael Palin's Full Circle and Pole to Pole. If often thought "if those persons can travel the world, why not me?" When I was 13 or 14, I never considered there might be places where some persons may not want me there and would even turn to even kill me to let me know that. Now I have to consider that, and it scares me.
Women face that same fate..even worse with the spate of gang bang raping going on of female tourists.

Old 11-09-2013, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Women face that same fate..even worse with the spate of gang bang raping going on of female tourists.
I hear that it has been taking place in India. I'm just faced with one thing. How to remain safe while traveling.

Old 11-09-2013, 10:26 AM

4,491 posts, read 6,337,018 times
Quote:

To tell you the truth, I don't think you'd run into troubles in Greece... Right now they are grateful for every single tourist visiting their country that's leaving some tourist dollars behind. And they will notice that you are a tourist as long as you don't decide to set up a stall in central Athens and start selling fake sunglasses and watches.

Old 11-09-2013, 10:34 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,831,561 times
they cant afford to not take in these immigrants. if they do not, then they will have no society. we know scandinavian birth rates are negative and 3rd world females are more fertile which means more youth to subsidize the aging scandinavian.

look at this population pyramid of norway. that is a suicidal population pyramid and requires mass immigration unless norway is ok with just being scrubbed off the map. with immigration comes change, which you have to deal with. this is natural survival of the fitttest darwinism type stuff, cant believe you guys dont understand this.

Population Pyramid of Norway in 2010 — PopulationPyramid.net

Old 11-09-2013, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viribusunitis View Post
To tell you the truth, I don't think you'd run into troubles in Greece... Right now they are grateful for every single tourist visiting their country that's leaving some tourist dollars behind. And they will notice that you are a tourist as long as you don't decide to set up a stall in central Athens and start selling fake sunglasses and watches.
I wouldn't be going to Greece to sell anything. However, I just want to know how I can avoid the danger zones. I'm sure some industries will be grateful to have tourists. However, I don't think members of Golden Dawn will care at all.

And Greece isn't the only nation. Russia is having major issues with Neo-Nazi violence, and some African students have even been killed.

Old 11-09-2013, 10:40 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't be going to Greece to sell anything. However, I just want to know how I can avoid the danger zones. I'm sure some industries will be grateful to have tourists. However, I don't think members of Golden Dawn will care at all.

And Greece isn't the only nation. Russia is having major issues with Neo-Nazi violence, and some African students have even been killed.
Your best and safest bet is to be part of a tour group.
They usually tell you the safe places to go in your unstructured time and show you the sites in the structured time.
Takes away a lot from the "experience" though.

And I would stay away from any country experiencing violence ....bystanders and tourists would be sitting ducks to outbursts and gunshots.

Old 11-09-2013, 10:40 AM

3,410 posts, read 4,461,074 times
Attempting to force feed "multiculturalism" and integration through top-down legislation will never work. Immigration and integration is a two way streak, where immigrants must voluntarily accept the host society's laws and customs and the host societies must be willing to accept immigrants as part of their own societies. These things happen mostly on a micro scale through individual perspectives and interactions. If these things aren't happening than any sort of dialogue must also be with and not just about the people in question.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies