Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Consequence for doctor refusing Medicare/Medicaid patients?
Nothing, and I support their decision. 128 69.57%
Nothing, however I do not support their decision. 21 11.41%
Force them to take at least x% (e.g. 50%) of patients or lose license 19 10.33%
Revoke license immediately (can only practice at VA hospitals as punishment) 1 0.54%
Revoke license (unconditionally and permanently) 2 1.09%
Revoke license, jail (felony charge) 0 0%
Revoke license, hard labor (to better understand what it means to be a commoner) 4 2.17%
Capital punishment 9 4.89%
Voters: 184. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2013, 12:16 PM

23,170 posts, read 26,173,566 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEmissary View Post
I've argued with BCBS ...even when something is covered, about the amount of money they're paying on particular items. They don't seem to care and wonder why I do! That's why medical costs continue to spiral up and - with them, your insurance premiums!
That reminds me of a time when, though the protocol is to pay for renting a machine, I discovered that one(same one) could be purchased for $800 with a 5 year guarantee. The rental cost exceeded $8000 for 5 years.
I called the ins co and asked why they would not just reimburse me for purchasing one.
I got some mumbling about maintenance but I mentioned I could buy a brand new one every year and still save them money.
They refused, saying it just wasn't done that way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2013, 12:16 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,273,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Take 60% patients on these programs or lose license.
OK, I will only open my practice for 6 hours of the day and take the rest of my patients off the books and cash only, home visits only. I'll only take people I trust immensely to avoid any possible undercover Feds trying to bust me.

Old 11-10-2013, 12:17 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,813,269 times
Quote:
there again, where does this stop? because you know that the government will not knowing that they can get away with the requirement. so again where does it stop? your restaurant has to feed the feed the homeless? your car dealership hs to give away cars to those that cant pay? your liquor store has to give away alcohol to the homeless? your furniture store has to give away beds and couches?

Old 11-10-2013, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
there again, where does this stop? because you know that the government will not knowing that they can get away with the requirement. so again where does it stop? your restaurant has to feed the feed the homeless? your car dealership hs to give away cars to those that cant pay? your liquor store has to give away alcohol to the homeless? your furniture store has to give away beds and couches?
Why of course! Food is necessary for survival. Cars are necessary for the poor to get to work. Liquor is necessary for, well, mental well being , and do you expect these people to sit on cardboard boxes?

Old 11-10-2013, 01:09 PM

25,021 posts, read 27,915,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
OK, I will only open my practice for 6 hours of the day and take the rest of my patients off the books and cash only, home visits only. I'll only take people I trust immensely to avoid any possible undercover Feds trying to bust me.
Ok, as long as it's 60%, then you're fine. Though, why the 4th grade argumentation? Grow up

Old 11-10-2013, 01:38 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,334,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
You better hope you never get old.
I wish the same for this poster. Of course, the alternative to growing old is.....

Old 11-10-2013, 02:55 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,662,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I see no shortage of doctors or other medical facilities accepting Medicare/aid patients where I live. Maybe in rural areas? Anyway, doctors who refuse these patients and/or the lower reimbursements that insurers are pushing on them because of changes from the ACA will go hungry and more Paks and Indians and other nationals will take their places. There is a very limited pool of patients who can afford to pay out of pocket for their services. Nothing to see here.
It depends on what services.

Pay for an office visit? Why that's cheaper than a cell phone bill -- why can't most people pay to see a doctor or for an annual check up? Birth control? Certainly anyone can afford that if they can afford to date in the first place. Vaccinations? Those are affordable.

Cancer treatment? Organ transplant? Not so much.

That's what Obamacare seems to be wrong --- they want to pay for everyone's birth control, abortions, wellness checkups but they're going to be kicked out of their cancer treatment programs.

Old 11-10-2013, 03:01 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,662,921 times
Quote:
You mean that the portion of people on welfare handouts is now 60%???

Doctors shouldn't be forced to accept any patient. Patients shouldn't be forced to see doctors they don't like. The relationship between physician and patient is too important for the government to be trying to force.

Doctors actually have the right to "fire" patients when they want to fire them.

The government already takes care of the welfare types, they bring in H1B doctors to serve them. Also newly graduated physicians often will take on welfare types as patients until they are established. There is no reason to force private practice physicians into anything.

And in many medically underserved areas, they allow nurses to do much of the medical practice. A lot of what the so-called poor need are vaccinations, wellness checkups, screenings, treatment for minor conditions that don't require physicians.

Old 11-10-2013, 03:21 PM

30,419 posts, read 20,291,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
But isn't that the path we are headed down ?

I'm on your side with the freedom to choose and the freedom to pick.
There's enough variation that mandates do not need to be put in place.
This is true. We spent many years involved in 4-H, not only in our club, but on the Advisory Board in our County. Our daughters also served while they were in 4-H; camp councelors, Junior Fair Board, and perhaps a few things I've long forgotten.

Old 11-10-2013, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Ok, as long as it's 60%, then you're fine. Though, why the 4th grade argumentation? Grow up
It would be 60% on the books during my contracted office hours. Off the books, can't guarantee that proportion would remain. Overall, would probably fall well below 60% and I'd still keep my license.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies