Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 08:37 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,401,241 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdwardA View Post
Diversity is evidently more prized than quality.

Meet the seemingly unfirable female firefighter | New York Post
Moral of the story:

If you don't live in NYC, try to avoid visiting during the fire season.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 08:54 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,122,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Stan, an 8 minute mile is nothing. Im 8 months pregnant and I can almost pull that off.lol
Dude. You haven't seen these guys.

I don't think you should discriminate between men and women for any job.
You should, however, discriminate between the competent and incompetent.

That woman should not have gotten the job.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:11 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,755,455 times
She should be fired.

I am out of shape now but my mom ran 1.5 miles under 12 minutes just to get a shot at a job back in the late 90s at a prison. And she passed it.

When I was younger, I ran cross country and ran a 10 minute mile. That is not something that is all that hard, especially for someone who should be physically fit - like a fire cadet especially.

She should have been fired after the 2nd time she failed.

This is ridiculous and it denies other women who can actually run a 10 minute mile the opportunity to become a fire fighter.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:11 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,390,755 times
Dude??

Anyways, why are you trying to convince me? I'm saying the same thing...........

Sent from my DROID4 using Tapatalk 4

Old 11-12-2013, 09:17 AM

16,212 posts, read 10,755,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirette View Post
Interesting that when a particular, well documented instance of the failure of enforced diversity is posted, no one can defend it.

The discussions of women in combat (and their inability to hump 100lbs of gear across 20 miles) went very differently. People really don't seem to be able to reason very well.
Honestly, I think it depends on the woman. Some women can hump 100lbs of gear across 20 miles, if they can, give them the opportunity to do so. Some women can't run a 10 minute mile, and they should not take the spot of a woman or a man who can perform accordingly.

Though I do not see running per se as all that necessary to firefighting, it does indicate endurance and evidently, the woman in the OP article does not have the endurance necessary to be a fire fighter.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:20 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,459,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuiltforSin View Post
This is what pisses me off about the fire service. I have busted my ass for the past year to become a paid fire fighter. Applied, tested, interviewed, and every time I made it to the very end but I was not selected. So I work on my weaknesses and mistakes so the next time I can have a better chance at success. This is the **** that infuriates me. Incompetent people who cannot pass the tests, yet, they are still hired due to "diversity quotas". At the end of every job listing for fire fighter/EMT they may as well put "white males, need not apply".

Are you trying to imply that the only incompetent people are minorities or female in firefighting work?

Old 11-12-2013, 09:21 AM

14,416 posts, read 22,390,755 times
It's not a 10 minute mile. It's an 8 minute mile. Which is still not hard.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:24 AM

4,112 posts, read 4,459,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohirette View Post
Interesting that when a particular, well documented instance of the failure of enforced diversity is posted, no one can defend it.

The discussions of women in combat (and their inability to hump 100lbs of gear across 20 miles) went very differently. People really don't seem to be able to reason very well.
There were some female marines rucking it in full gear at the marine corps marathon this year and last.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:28 AM

44,256 posts, read 64,122,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
Dude??

Anyways, why are you trying to convince me? I'm saying the same thing...........

Oh, pardon my Californism. Californiaism? I dunno. I used to live there, and even after 24 years in Texas, I still say, "Dude!" to emphasize a point now and then.

Oh, not trying to convince you. I am saying that I know an 8 minute mile isn't any big accomplishment, but I am shocked this is a requirement because of the people I see come in daily to our ED who I don't think could do it by any stretch of the imagination.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:52 AM

30,574 posts, read 21,744,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by residinghere2007 View Post
Honestly, I think it depends on the woman. Some women can hump 100lbs of gear across 20 miles, if they can, give them the opportunity to do so. Some women can't run a 10 minute mile, and they should not take the spot of a woman or a man who can perform accordingly.

Though I do not see running per se as all that necessary to firefighting, it does indicate endurance and evidently, the woman in the OP article does not have the endurance necessary to be a fire fighter.
"Some women can hump 100lbs of gear across 20 miles,"
I doubt there are any woman at my Gym that could do that unless there was no time limit (a week perhaps)

As for as the requirement that the woman in the OP meet the 8 minute mile mark, there are many women that can do 8 minute mile, so why should this one get the pass.

I would say in all fairness that there are many jobs in the Fire dept that are a good match for many women, so having 95% of Firemen be male is not really needed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies