Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 05:04 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times

Advertisements

When does the farmer get a vacation?
When does the subcontractor get a vacation?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 08:01 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,854,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"It should be a legal right". And how many companions have you ever started and made successful?

How many people have YOU ever employed?

Why is is that those that can't AWAYS want to tell others how to do it?
I think you meant companies.

I'm a small business owner. I have my own small accounting firm. And yes, anyone who works for me gets 3 weeks paid vacation.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:05 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,746,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
You forgot to mention the really crappy or nonexistent maternity leave.
you women wanted equality didn't you? stop asking for extra things.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:07 PM

1,496 posts, read 1,854,666 times
all these rabid right-wingers frothing at the mouth at the idea that poor working people be guaranteed paid vacation (all workers should) are really showing their true colors. It is all about resentment.Why else would some of these smug pious rapscalions refer to some workers as being "not valuable to the job market enough to deserve a holiday."

Absolutely disgusting strain of me me me conservatism that has infected parts of our society. It's in America only folks. You won't go to Britain or Brazil or Australia and run in to conservatives that have this kind of resentment. Conservatives in other industrialized nations realize that vacation time is a right of all workers.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:11 PM

6,073 posts, read 4,746,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
all these rabid right-wingers frothing at the mouth at the idea that poor working people be guaranteed paid vacation (all workers should) are really showing their true colors. It is all about resentment.Why else would some of these smug pious rapscalions refer to some workers as being "not valuable to the job market enough to deserve a holiday."

Absolutely disgusting strain of me me me conservatism that has infected parts of our society. It's in America only folks. You won't go to Britain or Brazil or Australia and run in to conservatives that have this kind of resentment. Conservatives in other industrialized nations realize that vacation time is a right of all workers.
no. nice diatribe though. vacation time is negotiated by employer and employee.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:11 PM

1,728 posts, read 1,777,001 times
Its not a right in America.

If you have the value to an employer to demand the benefit, demand it

Old 11-12-2013, 08:32 PM

1,881 posts, read 1,009,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaten_Drinker View Post
Baloney. I have not taken a vacation since 2004. It is a waste of time and money.
I'm glad my life is not as sad as yours

Old 11-12-2013, 08:48 PM

9,470 posts, read 6,966,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
This is the reason our country is in the ****ter. Too many crappy employers.
Exactly. Get rid of them. We'll all live on unemployment.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiwas1 View Post
Such a lame response. So, in your world, someone who does not come to the table already fully skilled in whatever the job is with years of experience, even if it's entry-level, is a shiftless slob who will do nothing? This is why employers whine incessantly about not being able to find people. They set their standards too high.
Nonsense. Utter folderol.

Quote:
After my wife had to stop working in her previous career because of our son (it's a traveling job with long hours), she decided to go back to work after a few months. The same career wasn't going to really work out, so she started looking for entry-level customer-service type jobs. At one, it was an entry-level phone support job. It wasn't IT. It wasn't handing complicated ordering systems. It was simple "look up person's account and answer questions." They wanted something like five years of experience, a ten-year work history with no lapses, numerous references, etc. That was for an entry-level schlub job.
If they can get it, they will. That's how it works. It's up to THEM to decide who they want, not you. If you want to do something different, start your own company and run it differently.

Quote:
Employers now want employees through no effort on their own. They want turnkey help. And they ***** that they can't find it. And somehow, it's everyone elses' problem.
Did it ever occur to you that the issue is that the entry level into employment is so expensive that many employers simply cannot afford to hire and train? That if they did, they would go broke.

Many of them have tried, repeatedly, only to find this kind of crap:

Meet the Dumbest Job Interview Applicants | Reader's Digest

Worst Interview Answers

Most people hiring simply DO NOT HAVE time to teach someone to be on time, to pay attention, to be dedicated, to have all the required personal habits first, before they can spend time teaching them the actual job.

Again, if you think you can do it better, then by all means, get in business and show us all how its done. Until then, you're just a loudmouth in the peanut gallery, who knows NOTHING.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
I think you meant companies.

I'm a small business owner. I have my own small accounting firm. And yes, anyone who works for me gets 3 weeks paid vacation.

Then you know that that vacation is earned, and is paid for by reduced take-home pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies