Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2013, 12:33 AM

12,149 posts, read 8,381,289 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
actually entrepreneurship is higher now (and by now I mean the last 15 years) than it has ever been.

Okay, so you chose your line of work. Good for you. So did I. That doesn't mean I think people who didn't or people who end up in jobs that don't pay much shouldn't be allowed basic worker rights.

What is the argument that full time workers shouldn't have time off?
What is the argument that they should get paid for doing nothing?

I'm sure most companies would accommodate giving their employees time off without pay.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2013, 12:51 AM

22,216 posts, read 21,516,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Considering that most Americans don't even use up all the vacation days they do have
People must really love their work over there.

Old 11-11-2013, 12:57 AM

1,496 posts, read 1,846,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
There are 27 million businesses in the US. If someone chooses to work for a business and does not negotiate vacation time, then they should not have time off. Even Walmart gives full time employees 10 days off (possibly 12).

No one is arguing that time off should be illegal.
most jobs are non-negotiable.

Is this your argument? People who work 40 hours a week only deserve paid vacation if they are able to negotiate for it?

Do you not understand that the 40 year old woman working in the garment factory has NO POWER when it comes to this negotiation?

Old 11-11-2013, 12:59 AM

1,496 posts, read 1,846,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
What is the argument that they should get paid for doing nothing?

I'm sure most companies would accommodate giving their employees time off without pay.
Okay dude..you've left a number of really sinister comments. What do you do for a living?

Old 11-11-2013, 02:32 AM

12,623 posts, read 13,859,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe90 View Post
People must really love their work over there.

His post is crap. Americans would love to take time off, but if you take leave here, it is frowned upon by your employer. Promotions etc are based on not taking time off and working like a slave. Very few worker protections here.

Old 11-11-2013, 03:53 AM

24,469 posts, read 33,154,069 times
I think there is no law about vacation days because it's assumed that those come automatically.

A job I worked at for 16 years was certainly not a prestigious job, but had vacation days. I forgot the exact amount... I think one week for employees working 1 year or less, then 2 weeks for those there 3 years and 3 weeks for those 5 years or more. The vacations could accumulate... I once had 21 vacations days racked up... that was over 4 workweeks. There was also sick pay and a 401k plan. And health insurance.

All that from a private business owner, too.

Old 11-11-2013, 04:31 AM

12,246 posts, read 6,409,254 times
Quote:
That's one of the many reasons why I chose my current line of work rather than choosing to work in a garment factory. She has the same choice.

But let's look at where the problem really stems from. That industry (and others) have more available workers than positions. So, naturally, supply and demand comes into play. Since the supply of workers are high, they cannot demand much. A big problem, indeed! But why does this problem exist? If you look at times when benefits such as vacation time were at the highest (40s - 70s), you'll see that there was a healthy ratio of employees and employers because people did not spend their entire lives taking up jobs. Many went on to become job creators. Today, few become job creators and most just hog the few jobs those creators make. It's a horrible position that these employees have put themselves into.
Job creators? Those are consumers with enough money to spend on manufactured goods thereby creating more jobs. No one can create jobs without customers to buy their product.

Old 11-11-2013, 05:20 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,008,220 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmagoo View Post
Job creators? Those are consumers with enough money to spend on manufactured goods thereby creating more jobs. No one can create jobs without customers to buy their product.
You think increased consumer demand creates a competitive environment among employers? You're absolutely wrong. All that increased consumer demand does is make the same employers hire more people. It doesn't give them competition. It doesn't give them an incentive to provide better benefits.

Old 11-11-2013, 05:32 AM

12,246 posts, read 6,409,254 times
Quote:
You think increased consumer demand creates a competitive environment among employers? You're absolutely wrong. All that increased consumer demand does is make the same employers hire more people. It doesn't give them competition. It doesn't give them an incentive to provide better benefits.
I think increased consumer demand creates a desire for more product. Employers hire more people to meet the demand so indeed it`s the consumers that create jobs. Jr. High economics.

Old 11-11-2013, 10:05 AM

1,097 posts, read 1,589,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldous9 View Post
many workers in America that get no vacation time work very labor intensive jobs. Take for instance, a woman that works in a garment factory 50 hours a week and makes $8 dollars an hour. She doesn't have a lot of power when it comes to insisting she get time off. The company can just find someone.

What is the argument that this women should not get time off? It's bad for her health not to. Can you make an argument other than "tough luck" ?
Shocking.

Americans should "thank" conservatives and their abysmal ideology.

When I lived in Texas I was amazed by the apathy of people: it seemed to me that they were persuaded that paid vacation days would have crushed the economy...

But I am an optimistic person: at least it is becoming an important topic... hopefully - better sooner than later - something will change...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies