Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2013, 05:23 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,733,597 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
Bit of semantics but there, but when the exchange of capital satisfies a demand and then leads to more demands that need to be met, wealth will be created down the line as supply meets it.
i don't agree with that definition of wealth, but if i'm playing along with your logic -- then lottery tickets qualify as wealth creation.

Quote:
When you consider the government sucked something like 3 trillion dollars out of the economy last year alone thats 3T less in purchasing power to stimulate demand and create real jobs.
again, by your logic, if government taxation is "sucking dollars out of the economy", then the solution to that deflationary pressure is to have the government print more dollars to stimulate the economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2013, 05:52 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,306,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
How Unequal We Are: The Top 5 Facts You Should Know About The Wealthiest One Percent Of Americans | ThinkProgress

[MOD CUT/copyright/hotlinking]

This needs to change and some people do not see this as a problem . This right here is why republicans should never have a majority of any every again if they do they will own 60% to 70% of the wealth and US will be a third world country

Some questions for the OP:
  1. The article claims that the "share of the national income pool" of the richest 1% of Americans has trippled since 1976 to almost one quarter of this "pool"
    Questions: What is this "national income pool?" Where does it come from? How is it created?
  2. The article claims that the top 1% of Americans own half the country's stock, bonds and mutual funds.
    Question: Since they make these investments with their own money, which they earned, why is this a problem?
  3. The article says that the top 1% have only 5% of the nation's personal debt.
    Questions: Is this not a result of wise money management? Should they be slaves to debt? Or isn't it smarter to stay out of debt?
  4. What constitutes "the national income?"
It would seem that the writer is clueless about wealth creation and good money management, and also clueless as to what it means to invest.

Clearly, this person sees some giant pool of money (somewhere) which is somehow, magically gathered up by devious means, by those "at the top."

Ask yourself: Who creates this "pool of income?"

I can anticipate the answer: "The 'workers.'"

This is "collectivist" nonsense. How many times must communism be defeated? Elizabeth Warren must love this blog.

Old 11-20-2013, 05:19 PM

5,633 posts, read 5,359,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
[*]The article says that the top 1% have only 5% of the nation's personal debt.
Questions: Is this not a result of wise money management? Should they be slaves to debt? Or isn't it smarter to stay out of debt?
Or, is it because they have a ****ton of money?? I'm pretty sure if I was worth $20 billion, I wouldn't have any debt at all. Unless it's debt from building a factory or a skyscraper, there's no excuse to have any debt when you have that kind of dough.

Old 02-02-2015, 06:26 PM

393 posts, read 503,863 times
Jealous people! If you are lucky to have parents that worked hard and made money, good for you. My parents were not that lucky. We lived on what we had. I didn't have expensive things, we didn't have new cars, vacations, etc. Some welfare people spend their money on expensive things.

I know there are homeless people, but a lot of those are addicts of some kind and don't work ot can't
keep a job. I'm sorry, but I should not have to lose money because of them! Why aren't their
families not helping them?

Old 02-02-2015, 06:28 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,368,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hannaranch View Post
I know there are homeless people, but a lot of those are addicts of some kind and don't work ot can't
keep a job. I'm sorry, but I should not have to lose money because of them! Why aren't their
families not helping them?
Because for the vast majority of folks they are too poor too. Why is this apparently rocket science? All the moneys going to the top, and you're here going "Well why dont their families help them?"

Kinda reminds me of ol Romney telling people to just get a loan from their parents to start a business.....

Old 02-02-2015, 06:41 PM

9,884 posts, read 10,975,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
How Unequal We Are: The Top 5 Facts You Should Know About The Wealthiest One Percent Of Americans | ThinkProgress

[MOD CUT/copyright/hotlinking]

This needs to change and some people do not see this as a problem . This right here is why republicans should never have a majority of any every again if they do they will own 60% to 70% of the wealth and US will be a third world country

OK, you say it needs to change.
Now, how about telling us exactly HOW you would go about changing it?
Do you plan to steal money from the richest and give it to the poorest?
What makes you think the rich will sit still for that?
So, what do you plan to do?

Old 02-02-2015, 08:53 PM

393 posts, read 503,863 times
The Dems have been in power for over 6 years. Have the poor done any better? When Clinton was in office for 8 years, didn't we still have poor. STOP blaming it on the Rep and the rich.

Old 02-03-2015, 04:14 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,704,652 times
Tough. Your attempt to rationalize your preference using the Fallacy of the Excluded Middle won't fly. People aren't stupid. Reducing the negative effects of poverty has value, even if it doesn't eliminate poverty itself.

Furthermore, yes, the poor are better off now than they were when Republicans ran government. And now that Republican hold Congress, they are invariably going to make things worse for the poor, because the right-wing perspective is intent on placing the comfort and luxury of some over the basic needs of those less fortunate. Just look at the first month of the GOP-controlled Congress. A tax credit for those seeking to educate themselves to better compete in the cut-throat labor marketplace that right-wingers have cultivated over the last thirty five years? Kill it! Giving the FCC the power it needs to reign in unchecked rapacious business by Comcast? Kill it! And right-wingers grabbed at the opportunity to pit pensioners against the disabled, so that they'd hold each other responsible for the regression that the GOP wants to bring about instead of blaming the real culprits, the right-wing.

Now self-motivated right-wingers apparently going to try to repeal ACA sending poor people back to the streets to live sickly, miserable lives. Most right-wingers support that because they are simply uncaring people and show a callous disregard for those less fortunate, but from some of the rhetoric I've seen posted by right-wingers online there are quite a few right-wingers who support this because they want to see poor people miserable - because they want lack of financial success to result in physical harm.

STOP making up ridiculous dodges for the righteous condemnation of the turpitude underlying right-wing perspective.

Old 02-03-2015, 04:21 AM

27,307 posts, read 16,222,978 times
Why was this old junk resurrected?

Old 02-03-2015, 04:23 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,049,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
Some questions for the OP:
  1. The article claims that the "share of the national income pool" of the richest 1% of Americans has trippled since 1976 to almost one quarter of this "pool"
    Questions: What is this "national income pool?" Where does it come from? How is it created?
  2. The article claims that the top 1% of Americans own half the country's stock, bonds and mutual funds.
    Question: Since they make these investments with their own money, which they earned, why is this a problem?
  3. The article says that the top 1% have only 5% of the nation's personal debt.
  4. What constitutes "the national income?"
It would seem that the writer is clueless about wealth creation and good money management, and also clueless as to what it means to invest.

Clearly, this person sees some giant pool of money (somewhere) which is somehow, magically gathered up by devious means, by those "at the top."

Ask yourself: Who creates this "pool of income?"

I can anticipate the answer: "The 'workers.'"

This is "collectivist" nonsense. How many times must communism be defeated? Elizabeth Warren must love this blog.
Their answer to these questions......"Duh....I don't know, but obama said it's unfair so it must be!"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies