Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 09:57 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,287,094 times

Advertisements

I like to challenge/question these idiots as to where they get their information. (Or should I say misinformation.)

9 times out of 10, they say "Some lady down the street told me." They highly value that advice over what their doctor or medical professionals say.

I suggest these people read about Louis Pasteur or watch the movie about his life and his discoveries of vaccines. This was not very long ago and prior to that there were no vaccines - for anything!

Old 11-12-2013, 10:32 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,960,789 times
A friend of mine on FB posted this article this morning. http://m.naturalnews.com/news/042864_measles_outbreak_mumps_vaccines_scientific_ fraud.html

I was tempted to respond with "consider the source". I think that perhaps somewhere in the article is a little bit of truth but I don't believe all of it. If this article was all true then the diseases would have come back long before the anti-vaxers became popular.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:48 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
Parents who do not vaccinate are relying on the rest of us vaccinating our children. If everyone else vaccinates, their child's chance of getting the disease is fairly small. When you have clusters of people who are not vaccinating, like the pertussis outbreak in California, then there is a chance for an outbreak, and they run the risk of their child dying from a disease that was easily preventable due to modern medicine.

And I hate to say it, but maybe it will take a few of those cluster outbreaks for people to see the error of their ways, and start vaccinating.
A lot of the cluster outbreak are actually from ineffective vaccines. The whooping cough outbreak was more due to the immunity wearing off. Some vaccines are more important than others. The polio vaccine is obviously important, but many like chicken pox are for the convenience of parents who don't want to deal with a kid who has to stay home from school. There is a middle ground.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:51 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
It's also due to our refusal to secure the border. How many of those illegally crossing the border have had their vaccinations? How many are carrying the actual diseases into our urban cores?

This is not an attempt to vilify illegals; it is just a fact.
It is not a fact that Mexicans are less immunized. In fact, Mexican kids are better-immunized than US kids. People who work in immunizations know this.

Mexico more effective than U.S. at immunizing children(BARF ALERT)

ETA: Sorry for the duplicative post, but I'll leave it up for the link so you can see how Mexico does it.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Ironically immunization rates in Mexico (if that's who you are predominantly referring to) are at 98% compared to 90% in the US. Now what happens to undocumented kids once they arrive in the US is hard to say for obvious reasons.
Mexicans are not the only ones pouring over that southern border. Millions are traveling through Mexico from who knows where and they aren't stopping to get vaccines. TB and hepatitis rates along the border are very high in spite of both those vaccines being available in Mexico.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:56 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,709,696 times
Now there's a polio outbreak in Syria that could spread to Europe.

Syrian polio outbreak could spread to Europe, experts warn - NBC News.com

We're so interconnected that what's happening in Syria today could be happening here in a week.

I absolutely cannot understand how someone who professes to love their child can refuse immunizations. It's the height of ignorance.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:07 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
A lot of the cluster outbreak are actually from ineffective vaccines. The whooping cough outbreak was more due to the immunity wearing off. Some vaccines are more important than others. The polio vaccine is obviously important, but many like chicken pox are for the convenience of parents who don't want to deal with a kid who has to stay home from school. There is a middle ground.
What do you mean ineffective vaccines? The old whole cell DTP vaccine (wDTP) was reforrmulated to DTaP vaccine, and introduced in the US in 1996. Whole cell DTP caused a lot of nasty side effects, such as raging fevers, fever convulsion, prolonged screaming, collapse/shock-like state, etc. Health care providers were happy when DTaP replaced wDTP as far more parents accepted it.

"Unfortunately, recent data suggests that the tradeoff for increased safety was decreased vaccine effectiveness. Children who received the “acellular” version of pertussis vaccine become susceptible more quickly than those who received the “whole-cell” version. However, it is unlikely that we would return to using the older version; instead, additional booster doses may be recommended until a newer version of the vaccine that is both safe and more effective can be developed."
DTaP: Diphtheria, Tetanus and Pertussis Vaccine | The Children's Hospital of Philadelphia

Immunity wore off from the old vaccine as well. My own daughter was immunized with wDTP and got pertussis at age 13, in the year 2000. That is what the TdaP vaccine was developed and is now recommended at age 11. If everyone was completely immunized, the vaccine would be much better at preventing epidemics.

Chicken-pox is not some "harmless" disease. In fact, a few kids did die from chickenpox every year prior to the introduction of the vaccine.

There is no middle ground in this issue.

@stan4- I hear what you're saying, and I think the main reason Hep B is in the childhood schedule is that that is when kids are getting the rest of their vaccines, making it much more likely that the series get completed. Nowadays, there is a combination vaccines that contains Hep B along with DTaP and Polio (Pentacel), so there are no additional shots to be given. It is not mandatory for Hep B to be given at birth, some practices start at 2 mos with Pentacel.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:19 AM

1,076 posts, read 2,369,084 times
Talk about stupidity... check out this C-D thread if you get time.

//www.city-data.com/forum/charl...cinations.html

Old 11-12-2013, 11:20 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,762,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PedroMartinez View Post
It's also due to our refusal to secure the border. How many of those illegally crossing the border have had their vaccinations? How many are carrying the actual diseases into our urban cores?

This is not an attempt to vilify illegals; it is just a fact.
It really isn't a fact. They vaccinate MORE than we do in Mexico because there is no autism scare there. And they have a much more fresh, recent awareness of the lethal nature of childhood diseases. We have felt safe from everything for many decades and we are paying for it now, thinkign the vaccinations are more dangerous than the diseases.

One of the scariest things about this outbreak of idiocy is that when a kid comes down with rubella or diptheria now, the docs treating him or her have never seen it in their lives and have NO idea what they're dealing with or how to address it.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Links.
Check the WHO website. Mexico vaccinates against TB while the USA does not. In 2012, the incidence of TB in the US was 3.6/100,000 yet in Mexico with its total vaccination compliance, the incidence of TB was 23/100,000! Over six times higher than the US.

Hepatitis B in the USA with our poor vaccine attitudes in 2012 was 0.5%, same as Canada, while the rate of hepatitis B in vacvine compliant Mexico is double at 1% of its population.

Both of those are deadly diseases and the fact that Mexico has a fully vaccinated population while the US does not yet the US has significantly fewer cases doesn't say much for vaccines.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies