Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 12:13 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,233,105 times

Advertisements

One thing many republicans like to tell people is that if they ever end up with no job, they can just go to the army. Unfortunately (or fortunately, from a certain point of view), as a hard-of-hearing person, I am permanently disqualified from joining the armed forces. Therefore, serving the country is not one of the available luxuries for people like me. Neither is family (also a luxury) nor the SSDI .

I am physically and mentally fit. With hearing aids, I can easily function somewhat like a normal person. That said, I do recognize the need to create my own safety net.

I just want to know why Republicans think that certain safety nets exist, when, in reality, for a small segment of the population, they don't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 12:27 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,333,584 times
Safety net? You don't even have braille on your money for the hard-of-seeing.

Old 11-12-2013, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
Safety net? You don't even have braille on your money for the hard-of-seeing.
I recognize that. I do volunteer my time for the disabled.

Old 11-12-2013, 02:53 PM

37,143 posts, read 42,240,055 times
I don't think the military is a "safety net" of any sort. Some may see it that way but many, not just disabled, couldn't use it that way. Nor should they.

Old 11-12-2013, 03:01 PM

4,130 posts, read 4,463,584 times
The GOP doesn't want a safety net. The addage from the 2012 election of "Let them die" if people can't afford to live, even temporarly, and no individual will help them out. What amazes me is how the GOP touts their Christian values, but when people need help instead of doing what Jesus would do...they turn their back.

Old 11-12-2013, 05:06 PM

39,081 posts, read 51,259,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EmeraldCityWanderer View Post
The GOP doesn't want a safety net. The addage from the 2012 election of "Let them die" if people can't afford to live, even temporarly, and no individual will help them out. What amazes me is how the GOP touts their Christian values, but when people need help instead of doing what Jesus would do...they turn their back.
The Republicans chanted and cheered that very phrase. Your safety net, to them, can be found at the bottom of a six foot deep hole.

Old 11-12-2013, 06:45 PM

Quote:
I can't blame the Republicans for being imperfect...

However, it would be nice if I heard a reply on this inquiry.

Old 11-12-2013, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHurricaneKid View Post
I can't blame the Republicans for being imperfect...

However, it would be nice if I heard a reply on this inquiry.
???

Old 11-12-2013, 08:59 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,863,645 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The Republicans chanted and cheered that very phrase. Your safety net, to them, can be found at the bottom of a six foot deep hole.
these posts are pure rubbish and the posters know it. its not that the safety nets exist, they do, its that too many people are gaming the system to use those safety nets, and harming those that really need them. but yes there are safety nets for the handicapped and disabled, all you need do is go down to your local federal or state government building and ask around, they will point you to their social services office.

Old 11-12-2013, 09:42 PM

15,535 posts, read 10,512,774 times
"Is there a safety net for deaf/hard-of-hearing, and other disabled people who can work?"

I would say the nursing profession (and related jobs like lab work, etc) would be a good safety net job for a semi-deaf person. Nurses are going to be in demand for a long time, if that's what you are talking about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies