Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 01:10 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,236,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
Money isn't supposed to come before family.
It's un-American!!
Ya, when is the last year a national holiday wasn't commercialized in some way or fashion? I can't recall after watching television for 58 years.

Black Friday (shopping) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quote:
In the late 19th century and early 20th century, many Santa parades or Thanksgiving Day parades were sponsored by department stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 01:10 PM

9,885 posts, read 10,965,657 times
Black Friday? What's that?
Holiday shopping? What's that?
Sometime between now and Thanksgiving, we will go to our closest grocery store (Walmart) and buy our supplies for dinner:
A turkey roast (no, not a whole turkey)
Some ready-made pie crust (we already have the mince meat and pumpkin. I might even make a shoo-fly pie and some filled sugar cookies)
DW is "on call" thanksgiving day.
After dinner, we might get busy and get the Christmas gifts ready:
CASH in cheap greeting cards.
Or, we might do it Friday. NO WAY IN H will we go to ANY store on Friday!

Old 11-12-2013, 01:28 PM

775 posts, read 1,258,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibginnie View Post
Honestly, what's the big freakin' deal? If they are open and you want to shop, go shop. If you don't want to shop, don't.
If you do not want to work at a store that is open on Holidays don't. They have a right to set their days and hours. If you don't want to follow the schedule they have set, get another job.

It really is that easy.
This. No need to get panties in a wad about something people (on both the shopper and employees part) participate in

Old 11-12-2013, 01:52 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,175,777 times
This country should be CLOSED on Thanksgiving except for emergency services. Period.

Can't people stop shopping for one damn day?

No wonder Americans are the lamest people on Earth. They're never happy unless they're purchasing something with what little money they're lucky to have.

Old 11-12-2013, 02:20 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,677,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
This country should be CLOSED on Thanksgiving except for emergency services. Period.

No wonder Americans are the lamest people on Earth. They're never happy unless they're purchasing something with what little money they're lucky to have.
Where have I heard that before.

Old 11-12-2013, 02:42 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,702,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
What about them?
Restaurants have long been open on Thanksgiving. So have many drug stores, supermarkets, movie theaters, NFL stadiums, etc.
When one chooses to work in any of the following sectors, it's going to be necessary to work a holiday:

Police, firefighters, first responders, 911, hospitals, airlines, airports, public transportation, AMTRAK, TSA, Customs, Immigration, hotels, utility companies, data centers, restaurants and retail.

Old 11-12-2013, 02:44 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,408,314 times
I'm in the market for a new TV but I'm going to wait until Friday to buy it. I mean can people have one day with their families?

Old 11-12-2013, 02:46 PM

18,630 posts, read 19,408,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post

It's grotesque in my opinion. I was aghast when restuarants were opened.

Old 11-12-2013, 02:47 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,702,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
I do all my shopping online now but I try to stick with Amazon or big name online retailers.
Then I know the package arrives in one piece and is wrapped nicely.

Amazon excels in this area.
The big box stores compete with online shopping, open and staffed 24/7, 365.

Old 11-12-2013, 03:21 PM

25,826 posts, read 20,690,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
When one chooses to work in any of the following sectors, it's going to be necessary to work a holiday:

Police, firefighters, first responders, 911, hospitals, airlines, airports, public transportation, AMTRAK, TSA, Customs, Immigration, hotels, utility companies, data centers, restaurants and retail.
Of course.
Not to mention all of the members of our military deployed all over the world.

Odd that retail work is suddenly so sacred.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies