Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2013, 03:54 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,241,253 times

Advertisements

Bring your brass knuckles and be prepared to fight!

Black Friday 2012 on Thanksgiving Fight, Flip out, and Passout Walmart Moline, IL - YouTube

A shoplifter subdued by cops, warning, offensive language!

Black Friday shopper gets face bashed in by cop - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2013, 05:55 AM

2,385 posts, read 1,587,677 times
I don't know about you. But I always enjoy to watch the videos on youtube posted after black friday. The pictures of the masses storming the stores are just sheer madness. It‘s essentially America going rogue.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:03 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Walmart is the next big retailer to announce Black Friday starts on Thanksgiving Thursday.
This year they are opening at 6pm, two hours earlier than last year.

We need to get rid of the label "Black Friday" because it hasn't started on Friday for a number of years now.
6pm on Thanksgiving Day. The masses will need to plan an early dinner so they can line up at the stores.

Personally I'm already tired of Christmas since I've been seeing/hearing Christmas crap in the stores since early October.

Walmart to launch Black Friday sales earlier
Following a slew of similar announcements from stores including Target, Best Buy and Macy's, Walmart said Tuesday that it will hold two major sales events at 6 p.m. and 8 p.m. Thursday evening, two hours earlier than last year.
Stores moving major sales to Thursday is a "big move," said online deal expert Brad Wilson, founder of deal analysis website BradsDeals.com.

"We saw even in the last two years, when stores were opening Thursday, they weren't necessarily kicking off their promotions on Thursday — the best deals wouldn't necessarily start at 6 p.m. and 8 p.m.," he said. "This really shifts the focus."
Maybe it should be Black Friday "week" or "weekend" followed by Cyber Monday "week".
I don't think big box stores should be open on Thanksgiving just to promote Black Friday sales or put their employees in a position where they are forced to work on the holiday.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:23 AM

8,347 posts, read 7,241,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsjustmeagain View Post
I don't know about you. But I always enjoy to watch the videos on youtube posted after black friday. The pictures of the masses storming the stores are just sheer madness. It‘s essentially America going rogue.
I cringe when I see people behaving like rabid animals fighting over stuff, pretty ridiculous IMO. Don't know if people acted that way many years ago, or if we're just seeing more of it because of MSM and social media. I don't recall people fighting or being trampled back in the 70', 80's or 90's.

Old 11-19-2013, 06:35 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoJiveMan View Post
I cringe when I see people behaving like rabid animals fighting over stuff, pretty ridiculous IMO. Don't know if people acted that way many years ago, or if we're just seeing more of it because of MSM and social media. I don't recall people fighting or being trampled back in the 70', 80's or 90's.
No they didn't.
Black Friday occurred on *gasp* Friday. Stores had regular hours; sales were all day..not just the one hour after opening.

Black Friday has morphed over the years as the nation changed over from a producer to a consumer society.

I grew up in NYC.
Thursday was going downtown for the parade.
Friday was going downtown to look at the decorated store windows and see the tree.
Sure there were crowds and lots of hustle and bustle but not anywhere what you see on these you tubes of what it has turned into.

Old 11-19-2013, 02:10 PM

2,687 posts, read 2,185,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
No they didn't.
Black Friday occurred on *gasp* Friday. Stores had regular hours; sales were all day..not just the one hour after opening.

Black Friday has morphed over the years as the nation changed over from a producer to a consumer society.

I grew up in NYC.
Thursday was going downtown for the parade.
Friday was going downtown to look at the decorated store windows and see the tree.
Sure there were crowds and lots of hustle and bustle but not anywhere what you see on these you tubes of what it has turned into.
I have a problem with the Christmas season encroaching upon November and even October. The Christmas season should start the day after Thanksgiving and not before, in my opinion.

Old 11-20-2013, 05:39 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,087,283 times
Hey Texan, I won't go out shopping on Thanksgivin' or Dark Thursday as some like to call it now. And I personally choose to spend my money elsewhere, not on cheap chinese made junk that no one needs
As mentioned,, people used to eat a Thanksgiving lunch then hurry to line up at stores like Target for the big 6 PM opening. Now, they can head on over first thing after breakfast, or start Wednesday night and skip Thanksgiving all together.
America truly is the land where people will spend a day being thankful for what they have, then the next day (or that night), possessed by greed, will go out in search of more.

In America, the Dollar still votes, and there in many people will rush to the stores, over the hills, through the woods, and on top of each other to get $79 Televisions made in a chinese factory by 12 year old chingping gongy who contributes her 12 cent and hour wage to her family's weekly rice pizza.
Fortunately I can afford better, sad that too many cannot afford anything else.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:02 PM

30,353 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Well, the first night of Chanukah is on November 27th this year... maybe it's supposed to be a Jewish "Black Thursday/Friday?"

Of course, we don't go all gift-crazy like Gentiles do for Christmas - so if that really was their aim, they would fail miserably!

Old 11-20-2013, 06:11 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,671,669 times
So? Isn't it great to have a free market? Shopping is something that I probablly wouldn't do on Thanksgiving but if others want to so be it. There's a lot more outrageous things to be concerned with than shopping on Thankgiving.

Old 11-20-2013, 06:17 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,285,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Votre_Chef View Post
I have a problem with the Christmas season encroaching upon November and even October. The Christmas season should start the day after Thanksgiving and not before, in my opinion.
I agree. Since I'm Jewish, Christmas isn't my holiday and I find the wall-to-wall saturation irritating. It's even worse now that it has intruded into October and November and has eclipsed Thanksgiving to the point where it seems like mostly a warmup for Christmas for Christians.

My family has always observed Thanksgiving with gusto...all four grandparents were immigrants and they quickly adopted the holiday. It holds special meaning for us.

Personally, I refuse to shop on Thanksgiving Day. REFUSE. I also do not participate in Black Friday but if I need a roll of toilet paper or a bag of dog food, I will go to the supermarket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies