Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2013, 10:13 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
From the article referenced:

Support for the ethanol industry is seen as inextricably linked to presidential politics. The first presidential nominating contest takes place in Iowa, one of the country’s largest producers of corn, and few candidates in the last few presidential races have been willing to consider reducing ethanol subsidies.

Few candidates? Name ONE!!!!

And there, my friends, is why government giveaways to favored industries and individual businesses will NEVER end.
precisely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sargentodiaz View Post
I think the saddest thing about this "alternative fuels" farce is that it removes vital food supplies from the market, driving up prices that the poor and underprivileged cannot afford.

Americans have little idea just how important corn is to those in other countries.
no, the saddest thing is that the farce is that we have to depend on corn to make ethanol, when the reality is that there are far better choices, such as sugar and switch grass which are in abundance, and have much higher yields than corn does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
40% of all corn grown in the U.S. ends up in the production of ethanol. Think about that with the price you pay for any product that uses corn in its process.
actually, that doesnt really matter if it is done right. for instance 40% of the corn grown is feed corn anyway that goes to farm animals like cattle and pigs for instance. the problem is that they have a hard time digesting that feed corn. so you take that feed corn, process it to make ethanol, and give the farmers the no useless for ethanol production mash that the animals CAN digest easily. it saves the farmers money in that they dont have to process the corn before they feed it to their livestock, and since that corn was going to the livestock anyway it gets a double use, rather like used corn oil that is recycled into biodiesel and soap. and if we then open up the farm land that the government has locked up and produce corn both food and feed corn, then we dont have a supply problem anymore for either food or other products.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2013, 10:29 PM

459 posts, read 2,227,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
That corn could have fed a great many people. Oh well, the Obamas probably figure they'll have to settle for cake.
The fallacy in this argument is that people don't eat field corn.

Old 11-12-2013, 10:34 PM

459 posts, read 2,227,939 times
Quote:
I think the saddest thing about this "alternative fuels" farce is that it removes vital food supplies from the market, driving up prices that the poor and underprivileged cannot afford.

Americans have little idea just how important corn is to those in other countries.

Two fallacies in your argument. The first, a repeat of what I posted above - People don't eat field corn. Second fallacy; Rice, not corn, is by far and away the most consumed grain for human nutrition in the world.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:13 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,934,706 times
You are making the mistake that the government is supposed to work on your behalf.. It works only to serve those in government.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:33 PM

5,177 posts, read 4,790,366 times
Quote:

Speaking as a type 2 diabetic, corn is on the bad list and should not be consumed by humans at all. Better to put those food resources into less unhealthful foodstuffs.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:36 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckmann View Post
Speaking as a type 2 diabetic, corn is on the bad list and should not be consumed by humans at all. Better to put those food resources into less unhealthful foodstuffs.
i also am a type two diabetic, and while the glycemic index on corn is actually high, it is still a good food for you to consume. in fact it is better than wheat flour in things like tortillas. i am also on dialysis as well so i have to watch what i eat.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:49 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe1 View Post
The fallacy in this argument is that people don't eat field corn.
But they eat the food that would have been planted and grown instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies