Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 04:15 PM

3,337 posts, read 5,117,119 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
I hate to break it to you, but that doesn't answer the question. Nor does it answer the question, were firearms invented for the sole purpose of killing or maiming. Seriously people, it's like y'all don't know how to read & comprehend.

I'm not sure what you've been reading, but I've seen numerous answers in response to your silly question.

Old 11-22-2013, 06:34 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,384,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northnut View Post
(to gunlover) Since you absolutely refuse to answer the question, I'm going to deduce that yes, firearms were invented solely to kill or maim someone while screwdrivers, gas cans, hammers & crock pots were not. Thanks for playing!
Exactly! And WOW at all of the disingenuousness you had to endure while I was away! You deserve a medal, my friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little-Acorn View Post
That's exactly the mindlessly paranoid attitude the gun-rights-haters are depending on, to get the votes needed for their gun-ban agenda.

Keep up the good work!
You calling it "mindlessly paranoid" does not make it so. Since there is no other reason to carry a firearm around in your hand, it's perfectly logical to think (if only for a moment) that the person carrying the weapon is preparing to use it. In actuality, it's having and using your mind that leads one to this conclusion. All we are guilty of is forgetting that other people lack brains, to the point of walking around with a weapon in hand without comprehending what the big deal is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
I guess you'd be just as fearful of someone walking around with a hammer? A screwdriver? A can of gasoline? A crock pot?

No? Why? They are all the same thing....matter. Inanimate matter....
As northnut tirelessly tried to educate you guys on, it is the obvious answer: All of these things are not necessarily weapons. A gun is necessarily a weapon, actually created to do harm to other people or animals. Therefore, again, it's entirely senseless and indefensible for a person to be walking around in public with one in their hand.

I wish your side of the debate would start putting a little thought into the topic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogfamily View Post
I think you need to go back and reread the posts because you are not reading the posts thoroughly, don't comprehend what is being expressed, or ?
Reading ahead, it is clear you cannot make good this accusation. You shouldn't have included it until you were prepared to articulate just what you're referring to.

Quote:
Generaly a bad guy does not carry a firearm in the open. They are really cowards, they do not want to let anyone know that they have something bad planned,
Who's talking about letting people know something bad's been planned? "Bad guys" reveal their weapon the very moment they're about to use it. Therefore, a well-evolved human being knows to pay attention to a gun that's been drawn, and well-evolved "good guys" know not to walk around with a weapon drawn because that is the logical reaction to this sort of display. And anyone carrying a gun in their hand is potentially a "bad guy". It's not like people can always tell just by looking at you whether you're about to rob them

Quote:
Dude you would never survive in Alaska you would constantly be freaked out. Almost daily I see someone carrying a firearm.
Wherever I go, I don't turn my back to someone who's holding a loaded firearm for no apparent reason. Therefore, it sounds like I'd survive just fine in any state or country

Old 11-22-2013, 06:55 PM

1,472 posts, read 2,405,107 times
At one time I lived on Main Street in a town, didn't have a vehicle . If I wanted to go hunting, which I did often. I had no choice but to carry my Firearm down a busy street.

Oh I also carried Traps and Game.

brushrunner

Old 11-22-2013, 07:11 PM

6,486 posts, read 6,384,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushrunner View Post
At one time I lived on Main Street in a town, didn't have a vehicle . If I wanted to go hunting, which I did often. I had no choice but to carry my Firearm down a busy street.

Oh I also carried Traps and Game.

brushrunner
But you can at least understand why this would get people's attention, particularly if it wasn't always obvious you were going hunting (like, if you decided you were just going to take the gun and leave the traps). Ideally, you would have either a case or a sling, etc. but I understand there are exceptions. What I'm on about is people who think this makes a good idea for protesting or some other lesser purpose than hunting. It doesn't. It just makes them look foolish.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:16 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,657,742 times
Guns should never be used to make a political statement. The two just don't mix well, if at all.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:38 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,816,866 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Guns should never be used to make a political statement. The two just don't mix well, if at all.
Our country would have never been founded without guns to make a political statement.

Old 11-22-2013, 07:59 PM

3,216 posts, read 2,083,636 times
Firearms are designed to send a projectile through the air really fast. There are approximately 300 million guns in America. A minuscule fraction of these guns have killed people. I guess that means the rest of them aren't doing what they were designed to do. They must be defective. All mine ever do is win me money and trophies at competitions. Maybe I should take them back.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:11 PM

1,708 posts, read 1,860,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlandochuck1 View Post
Firearms are designed to send a projectile through the air really fast. There are approximately 300 million guns in America. A minuscule fraction of these guns have killed people. I guess that means the rest of them aren't doing what they were designed to do. They must be defective. All mine ever do is win me money and trophies at competitions. Maybe I should take them back.
Don't take them back, send them to me, I will take all those defective firearms!

Old 11-22-2013, 08:18 PM

57,227 posts, read 26,172,300 times
How do you distinguish the good from the bad relative to open carry, I was watching the clips on the JFK assassination and didn't notice any open carry in Dallas, maybe times have changed.

Old 11-22-2013, 08:36 PM

2,294 posts, read 2,659,983 times
As a gun owner, I can't stand people like this.

Yes, it is your right. We get it.

Do you really need to get together in a parking lot where a bunch of moms are meeting to "exercise your right?"

Of course not.

Gun owners who like to show off are usually the first ones to get into trouble.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies