Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 01:17 PM

8,347 posts, read 7,241,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
It is still a fact though that many jobs are requiring bi-lingual workers aka knowing Spanish. Since we are an English speaking country and most Hispanic-Americans can speak English why is that? It is pandering to illegal alien Spanish speakers at the expense of native English speaker job opportunities, plain and simple.
Please, tell that to the Pols, German, Italian and other minority groups who came here from Europe.

In pockets of Jewish owned areas of the US, where there's stores, markets, and synagogues, tell me the Jewish peoples don't speak Yiddish, Arabic and other languages.

You need to get up to speed in the conversation and the big wide world you live in, yes? Why do you believe other languages are part of the curriculum in high schools?

Old 11-13-2013, 01:22 PM

5,319 posts, read 8,985,244 times
Apparently it wasn't on the sign very long. Just long enough to take the photo.

Burger King in Ephrata Takes Heat Over Employee Joke [PHOTO]

Quote:
According to the comments on the photo, the message was put up by a disgruntled employee who actually quit shortly after the incident. Also to be noted, it was only up long enough to snap the photo and then changed almost immediately. It’s not an excuse by any means, but it also isn’t a reason that this business should take heat from the community.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:38 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,738,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
A Burger King in Ephrata, Wash., recently posted the words "Now Hiring Must be Mexican" on its sign.

KFFM.com posted a picture of the sign and asked its readers, "I’m not exactly sure of the reasoning. Maybe none of the current staff can speak espanol or perhaps they need to fulfill their EEO report, I’m not exactly sure. What do you think? Do you find this sign offensive or are you okay with their honesty.”

'Now Hiring Must Be Mexican' Says Burger King Sign
The sign was posted briefly last summer by an unauthorized employee who was subsequently terminated from a BK franchise. Unless the franchise has > 100 employees it is not required to file an annual EEO Report.

Organizations without government contracts have no hiring quotas.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
So some loser made a stupid sign and got fired immediately for it? Yawn.
He was not authorized to post the sign.
He created an embarrassment for the franchise and the brand.

He was likely on thin ice and this stunt cost him his job.
He will not qualify for unemployment.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Years ago there was a woman who wrote the press and her letter was posted in the local NJ paper. She wrote her son applied in a fast food place, could have been a Burger King or Mac D's and said her son was turned away because he was not bilingual. He could not speak Spanish .
Employers are free to advertise and recruit for bilingual employees.
Banks have done so forever and many advertise the variety of languages spoken at a given branch.

Old 11-13-2013, 02:24 PM
Sco

4,259 posts, read 4,918,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Years ago there was a woman who wrote the press and her letter was posted in the local NJ paper. She wrote her son applied in a fast food place, could have been a Burger King or Mac D's and said her son was turned away because he was not bilingual. He could not speak Spanish .
I heard that a high school dropout was turned away when they tried to get a job as a brain surgeon. I also heard that it can be almost impossible for a blind person to get a job as a truck driver.

Employers get to determine what job skills they feel are necessary to do the job they have available. If they think it is important that their employees speak Spanish, who are you to tell them otherwise?

Old 11-13-2013, 03:53 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
I think it's a violation of law, really. It is discrimination against anyone not Mexican. They are opening themselves up to a lawsuit. How much would you bet that it comes? There are many legal defense firms that would be more than happy to take that on.

I believe your right. I think that is in violation of the law, is it not. I think discrimination of any kind against anyone race would be wrong.

And in this case, so very wrong, against any one person not being hispanic.

They deserve a lawsuit. Going to tell me if someone qualified for that job, other then a mexican who was more then deserving, they would not get the job. That is bogus, that is wrong, that is racist. And that is what you call discrimination.

Old 11-13-2013, 04:13 PM

3,875 posts, read 3,871,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Yeah, maybe. Washington has a lot of agriculture, most of it seasonal. They need people to pick the apples, grapes and those wonderful vidalia onions. Whites wont do it, as it's piece work and they have to work too hard to make a buck. Mexicans will and jump at the chance. Being a farmer with a crop to harvest what would you do?
Clue......Hire the Mexicans and get your product to market.
Break immigration and labor laws and increase your profit AND have their children subsidized by tax payers when they LEACH of welfare and section 8.

Old 11-13-2013, 04:22 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,927,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
A Burger King in Ephrata, Wash., recently posted the words "Now Hiring Must be Mexican" on its sign.

KFFM.com posted a picture of the sign and asked its readers, "I’m not exactly sure of the reasoning. Maybe none of the current staff can speak espanol or perhaps they need to fulfill their EEO report, I’m not exactly sure. What do you think? Do you find this sign offensive or are you okay with their honesty.”

'Now Hiring Must Be Mexican' Says Burger King Sign

Es para la ACCION AFFIRMATIVA.

Old 11-13-2013, 04:31 PM

50,288 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Yeah, maybe. Washington has a lot of agriculture, most of it seasonal. They need people to pick the apples, grapes and those wonderful vidalia onions. Whites wont do it, as it's piece work and they have to work too hard to make a buck. Mexicans will and jump at the chance. Being a farmer with a crop to harvest what would you do?
Clue......Hire the Mexicans and get your product to market.
Total load of dung. If your margins are that thin your beloved Govt would subsidize your op if it was necessary for the food chain. If you can't hire legal workers because you are too cheap your business should fail.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies