Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 11:36 PM

7,528 posts, read 11,359,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by branh0913 View Post

The image of black males is negative because of the media.
Yeah the lives of black males is broader than what you get from rap. Like I said why are people relying on rap to tell them what all black men are like? Did anyone rely on the images coming from white Heavy Metal musicians to tell them what all white males were like? Too many people like to simplify Black people like that.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:58 AM

132 posts, read 304,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliWestCoast View Post
Yes as an black man myself, mainstream hip-hop definitely has a very negative impact on African Americans and it's no wonder why a lot is going on out in the neighborhoods in different cities of America which is why I don't listen to mainstream hip-hop. Also we live in a society that promotes music like mainstream hip-hop on the air way and television only to tear down black people emotionally, mentally, and spirituality, and the messed up part is that a lot of blacks don't realize it or some of them probably do realize it and are ok with that and think that's how black people are suppose to behave. It's slavery all over again, and it's a mental type of slavery which is worse than physical slavery. Then the media wants to sit back and label all black people and make it seem like we all behave like loud, ignorant, and ghetto people who don't care about our lives, but the truth is not all black people act nor behave like the media and the mainstream hip-hop world sees all black people, and I'm one of the blacks that didn't grow up nor was I raised to act uncivilized. However true talented artists, rappers, and poets are underground and they are speaking a lot of truth about what's going on out here in the American society, but the mainstream hip-hop world doesn't want to play real music on the radio because they know black people with some sense are going to wake up and see what mainstream hip-hop is really all about. And since the media and mainstream knows that about the underground they label us as wack, broke, and as nobodies because they already know that the underground is more creative plus they won't let fame and fortune allow them to become slaves and puppets of the mainstream hip-hop world. Some people might read this and say that I'm hating, and have anger issues, because then again we do live a nation that loves to hate on black people who are strong mentally, and are deep thinkers and label us because they're really afraid of black people who have some sense. But all I'm only doing is speaking the truth about what's going on out here and whatever type of music we listen to has a big influence on our lives, behaviors, and mentalities plus it will either influence us in a positive or a negative way depending on what type of music we listen to
I couldn't agree with you more. Like nearly everything else in the mainstream culture, hip hop is controlled by corporate interests which have only one thing on their minds, cash. I think it's also interesting to note that some of the biggest consumers of mainstream hip hop are suburban white kids, and I feel like the denigration of black people fits in with other pandering to certain white, racists beliefs in order to make more sales. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.

Old 12-16-2013, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elle92 View Post

I think it's also interesting to note that some of the biggest consumers of mainstream hip hop are suburban white kids, and I feel like the denigration of black people fits in with other pandering to certain white, racists beliefs in order to make more sales. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.
I want to point out hat it's true that whites are the largest consumers of rap but what whites listen to as far as rap can vary. Not every white person is soley listening to gangsta/thug rap. Many whites are fans of more creative rappers like Hieroglyphics and other underground rappers. Many of these whites do tend to be of the "college radio crowd".

Old 12-16-2013, 11:38 PM

96 posts, read 133,094 times
Quote:
I couldn't agree with you more. Like nearly everything else in the mainstream culture, hip hop is controlled by corporate interests which have only one thing on their minds, cash. I think it's also interesting to note that some of the biggest consumers of mainstream hip hop are suburban white kids, and I feel like the denigration of black people fits in with other pandering to certain white, racists beliefs in order to make more sales. That's my theory and I'm sticking to it.
Yeah for the love of money leads to the root of all evil. It's a shame how money can really enslave the minds of people who will do anything like selling their soul for it, and especially in mainstream hip-hop and the promotion from the media. And as you said a lot of the customers are suburban white kids which is making it worse and some of those same whites sneakily try to impersonate blacks to their face talking like thugs as if that's how all blacks conduct themselves. Even R&B music now is going down hill with promoting romanic relationships between black men and women in a very negative way. As you also stated it's about what sells and a lot of people aren't aware of what's really going on which is the sad part

Old 12-17-2013, 12:00 AM

96 posts, read 133,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
I want to point out hat it's true that whites are the largest consumers of rap but what whites listen to as far as rap can vary. Not every white person is soley listening to gangsta/thug rap. Many whites are fans of more creative rappers like Hieroglyphics and other underground rappers. Many of these whites do tend to be of the "college radio crowd".
I agree I've ran into some whites who are more into listening to creative poetic rappers. And Yes Hieroglyphics are some of the most of talented creative brothers in the underground, plus you even have Dilated Peoples, The Roots, Talib Kweli, Dead Prez, and a few others who are not only creative but are rapping about the truth on society. A lot of people also don't realize that whatever music the U.S. doesn't appreciate, people from overseas will be the ones who are more appreciative of Underground hip-hop music.

Old 12-17-2013, 08:28 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,379,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motion View Post
Yeah the lives of black males is broader than what you get from rap. Like I said why are people relying on rap to tell them what all black men are like? Did anyone rely on the images coming from white Heavy Metal musicians to tell them what all white males were like? Too many people like to simplify Black people like that.
I think in part we unwittingly help with that stereotype. Today, the majority (not all) of black artists are either hip-hop or r&b with the more rare exceptions being in other genres. this can make it seem like that's all we're about which certainly isn't the case. I'm a musician but I don't do music in either of those genres. Of course, there's the media which does the other half of this. There are plenty of black men in business suits etc. but the media prefers to zero in on the the "thug" types and/or highlight the shortcomings.

Old 12-17-2013, 08:29 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,379,702 times
Quote:
makes sense

Old 12-18-2013, 12:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliWestCoast View Post

you even have Dilated Peoples, The Roots, Talib Kweli, Dead Prez, and a few others who are not only creative but are rapping about the truth on society.
As far as conscious rap. I think one thing that keeps it from being bigger is that conscious rappers can represent many different views that many consumers may or may not agree with. Some conscious rappers may have views on race,history,politics and economics that may not appeal to some consumers. Some conscious rappers for example reflect a Marxist outlook such as the Coup. I like the Coup(musically) but I disagree with their Marxist views. This can cause a group like that to have a niche following instead of a larger one.

Old 12-19-2013, 09:31 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,331,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I think in part we unwittingly help with that stereotype. Today, the majority (not all) of black artists are either hip-hop or r&b with the more rare exceptions being in other genres. this can make it seem like that's all we're about which certainly isn't the case. I'm a musician but I don't do music in either of those genres. Of course, there's the media which does the other half of this. There are plenty of black men in business suits etc. but the media prefers to zero in on the the "thug" types and/or highlight the shortcomings.
That's not a bad thing, though.

Old 12-23-2013, 01:01 PM

2 posts, read 2,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I am unclear as to how black men are "unwittingly" helping with that stereotype just by doing hip-hop or r&b. Like another poster said earlier: the only hip-hop artists that get mainstream airplay are the ones with a slave mentality who are conforming to corporate agenda which is to make money off of the degradation of our people while at the same time hypnotizing people into thinking that it's cool.

Black artist being in other genres aren't helping with the stereotyping of our people. People make racist assumptions about your upbringing, character, morals, and socio-economic status based on the color of your skin because they've been taught to believe that we're a certain way. Those beliefs are deeply ingrained into American culture and they are not going to change their mind about black people just because you play a guitar instead of rap or because you wear Armani suits instead of Sean Jean.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies