Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2014, 04:07 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,986,180 times

Advertisements

"What country can you think of where the the group of the leader of that nation is at the bottom economically"? Well South Africa is one that comes to mind. The leader is black and so are those at the bottom of the economic ladder. If Asians would experience a surge economically, it would be primarily of their own making, not due to a 1/2 Asian President paving the way for them. The whites at the top of the ladder, more than likely are educated people. There are also a significant number of working poor and the middle class is struggling. Things are not necessarily rosy for everyone, just look at the number of white people receiving government benefits.

I know all about the marriage percentages. Though the numbers are smaller the percentages are increasing. Celebrating the fact that black and white couples fall in love and get married to me shows color continues to matter less and less to people. I think that is positive. Maybe you feel races should not mix at all, but the trend will continue no less. There will also be a few haters, those that promote divisions. I celebrate there continue to be less and less of them.

Look at the economy, the number of jobs shipped overseas in the 2000's, the number of people of all colors getting unemployment benefits, the numbers that haven't found jobs, the numbers that are very underemployed. The unemployment problem cuts across color lines these days. To progress still requires a firm foundation of education. How many of the unemployed black population do not have that foundation? Could that be a substantial contributing factor in their lack of opportunities? Isn't it ones own responsibility to study, finish high school, make a plan for trade school, college or finding a job where they can work their way up?

"There is a profound systematic refusal to completely open the doors of economic opportunity for the collective population of Black Americans". There are many grants and small business help available for women and minorities. Cities typically give a certain percentage of contracts to minorities. How many black professionals are there now and how did they manage to succeed? It was due to hard work and education. They did something productive and moved forward. My best friend in the military was an Optometrist, his brother was killed by violence at 15, he could have ended up going the same direction, but he chose to make something of himself. The way up is through education. What exactly do you think should be done to "open up the doors"? While I feel ashamed of our countries past, reference the treatment of AA's and Native Americans too, everyone is expected to assert themselves and exhibit personal responsibility regarding their own life. If people make poor choices such as quitting school, they will have very limited prospects in life no matter what their color.

Old 01-18-2014, 04:13 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,413,299 times
Why the link of hip hop and gangster? Unrelated
Dancing never hurt anybody
Don't blame black on black violence on dancing
Heal it instead support Jessie Jacksons efforts to stop the violence

Old 01-18-2014, 05:53 PM

1,189 posts, read 2,554,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
"What country can you think of where the the group of the leader of that nation is at the bottom economically"? Well South Africa is one that comes to mind. The leader is black and so are those at the bottom of the economic ladder. If Asians would experience a surge economically, it would be primarily of their own making, not due to a 1/2 Asian President paving the way for them. The whites at the top of the ladder, more than likely are educated people. There are also a significant number of working poor and the middle class is struggling. Things are not necessarily rosy for everyone, just look at the number of white people receiving government benefits.

I know all about the marriage percentages. Though the numbers are smaller the percentages are increasing. Celebrating the fact that black and white couples fall in love and get married to me shows color continues to matter less and less to people. I think that is positive. Maybe you feel races should not mix at all, but the trend will continue no less. There will also be a few haters, those that promote divisions. I celebrate there continue to be less and less of them.

Look at the economy, the number of jobs shipped overseas in the 2000's, the number of people of all colors getting unemployment benefits, the numbers that haven't found jobs, the numbers that are very underemployed. The unemployment problem cuts across color lines these days. To progress still requires a firm foundation of education. How many of the unemployed black population do not have that foundation? Could that be a substantial contributing factor in their lack of opportunities? Isn't it ones own responsibility to study, finish high school, make a plan for trade school, college or finding a job where they can work their way up?

"There is a profound systematic refusal to completely open the doors of economic opportunity for the collective population of Black Americans". There are many grants and small business help available for women and minorities. Cities typically give a certain percentage of contracts to minorities. How many black professionals are there now and how did they manage to succeed? It was due to hard work and education. They did something productive and moved forward. My best friend in the military was an Optometrist, his brother was killed by violence at 15, he could have ended up going the same direction, but he chose to make something of himself. The way up is through education. What exactly do you think should be done to "open up the doors"? While I feel ashamed of our countries past, reference the treatment of AA's and Native Americans too, everyone is expected to assert themselves and exhibit personal responsibility regarding their own life. If people make poor choices such as quitting school, they will have very limited prospects in life no matter what their color.
The fact that Black people could be systematically denied basic human rights in a country that is 90% Black is a tragic on every level. Aparthied and Jim Crow were evil twins. I agree that South Africa is similar to the U.S. in that way. When racism no longer an economic benefit, it will die. That is why American slavery died. Profit from slavery was dead after the Civil War. The racism is still alive. When it comes to interracial marriage, it is a given in a racially diverse country that doesn't legally seperate its citizens, which is why the rates jumped up after the laws making it illegal were banned in the U.S. Again, the laws were changed, but the hearts of men and women have not. If all was equal in 'love', interracial marriage rates among Blacks would be much much higher. They are not, largely because White, Latino, and Asian American men and women are the MOST resistant to marrying Black men and women, unless there is an economic benefit for them. As it stands, White men marry Asian and Hispanic women. White women marry Hispanic and Asian men the most. I grew up with many White male and female friends who dated Black people all through high school. All of them married White, Hispanic, or Asian men and women. Every last one of them. When it comes to marriage, all of that "I don't see color, race," goes out the window. People are thinking about their futures, and the futures of their children, and things get real at that point. I have know too many Black men and women who ended up emotionally devastated from this kind of rejection. Like I said, the hearts of men and women rarely match up with the change in laws.

When it comes to employment in America, the unemployment rate for Black people have been double and at times triple the average since the end of Reconstruction. Jobs, Jobs, and Jobs, has been the issue confronting Black people in the U.S. for that long. The educated professionals struggle in this area as well. The personal contacts and network to good paying jobs is the problem. The day that the unemployment rate for Black Americans is under 5% it will be progress. Otherwise, progress through interracial relationships is not progress at all. It all becomes quite meaningless actually.

Old 01-19-2014, 05:18 PM

5,234 posts, read 7,986,180 times
And look at South Africa today. The President spent many millions of public money on his own personal residence, he should be impeached. The corruption is out of control and yet it's likely this thief will be re-elected. He is living the good life without caring and doing anything about the real problems that face the country. He has not fulfilled his promises to those at the lowest economic levels, yet panders and lies to them because he wants their votes. The country is not going in a positive direction.

Because your friends married within their own race after dating out side of it doesn't necessarily mean that there was anymore to it than they married the one they felt most compatibility with in all respects. And one might date only blonde women through college and end up marrying a brunette. I don't assume peoples reasons for ending up marrying within their race was because they were concerned about their offspring being lily white or because they felt a spouse of a different race would some how limit their career prospects. For most, those days have come and gone. Actually the lowest percentage of interracial marriage is between the white male and the black female. But those numbers are increasing too. I was married to a black gal, I'm white. Some of us are color blind with regard to love and marriage.

The unemployment rates are high these days in most states. Very few states now have unemployment rates 5 percent and under. Look at the numbers of educated people with a vast amount of experience around the age of 50 that can't find a thing. It's tough for many segments of society. Still education is still the best way of assuring one has more options in life. If I had kids today I would start early pumping knowledge into them. Did you read about Mabou Loiseau that can speak 7 languages and play 6 instruments. Amazing what kids can learn at an early age if given the tools.

I never said interracial marriages would solve all problems or that all racism is dead and gone. And there are hateful people of all colors. Still I don't think most people care about ones color anymore, its about their character, what they are people. I don't like thugs no matter what color they are. That doesn't make me a racist to hate these gangster punks that ruin neighborhoods and shoot innocent people. Did you happen to read about the 19 year old college student in Chicago? He and his cousin were robbed in the afternoon as they walked home, but then the thug asked what gang they belonged to, the young man said huh, and the thug shot and killed him. This was a nice kid, he planned on being a Vet. Or did you hear about the 5 year old girl killed by a stray bullet in Omaha. As she sat in her own house eating breakfast. Truly heartbreaking. Yes, I hate this type, it's not about their color, it's about what they are as people.

Old 01-19-2014, 07:20 PM

284 posts, read 641,305 times
NO AA culture is the most dominant in the world.

Old 01-20-2014, 05:22 PM

2,238 posts, read 3,323,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy74 View Post
The fact that Black people could be systematically denied basic human rights in a country that is 90% Black is a tragic on every level. Aparthied and Jim Crow were evil twins. I agree that South Africa is similar to the U.S. in that way. When racism no longer an economic benefit, it will die. That is why American slavery died. Profit from slavery was dead after the Civil War. The racism is still alive. When it comes to interracial marriage, it is a given in a racially diverse country that doesn't legally seperate its citizens, which is why the rates jumped up after the laws making it illegal were banned in the U.S. Again, the laws were changed, but the hearts of men and women have not. If all was equal in 'love', interracial marriage rates among Blacks would be much much higher. They are not, largely because White, Latino, and Asian American men and women are the MOST resistant to marrying Black men and women, unless there is an economic benefit for them. As it stands, White men marry Asian and Hispanic women. White women marry Hispanic and Asian men the most. I grew up with many White male and female friends who dated Black people all through high school. All of them married White, Hispanic, or Asian men and women. Every last one of them. When it comes to marriage, all of that "I don't see color, race," goes out the window. People are thinking about their futures, and the futures of their children, and things get real at that point. I have know too many Black men and women who ended up emotionally devastated from this kind of rejection. Like I said, the hearts of men and women rarely match up with the change in laws.

When it comes to employment in America, the unemployment rate for Black people have been double and at times triple the average since the end of Reconstruction. Jobs, Jobs, and Jobs, has been the issue confronting Black people in the U.S. for that long. The educated professionals struggle in this area as well. The personal contacts and network to good paying jobs is the problem. The day that the unemployment rate for Black Americans is under 5% it will be progress. Otherwise, progress through interracial relationships is not progress at all. It all becomes quite meaningless actually.
Between 1931 and 1967, USA had the one drop rule in place. That did a lot of damage in the USA.

South Africa NEVER had a one drop rule.

Cuba actually had segregation similar to Jim Crow and apartheid up until after Castro took over. Cuba never had a one drop rule though either.

Old 01-20-2014, 08:18 PM

58 posts, read 82,500 times
If the unemployment rate for black men was the same as it is for white men there would be obvious racism in hiring practices, against white men.

Only 50% of black men graduate high school, 1 out of 3 spend time in prison. There are more black males in prison than in college and it is not because of a racist society or because blacks get caught and whites don't its because a large portion of black teens and young adults in this country are criminals! That's just a fact. 35% of documented gang members are black men who only comprise 6% of the US population.

I am amazed that the black male unemployment rate is only 13%. When only 50% of them have a GED or better and 35% of them have spent time in prison. White men from poor backgrounds with either of those strikes against them have an unemployment rate over 70%. Really if there wasn't any sort of affirmative action or racial based hiring practices going on that number would be closer to 30% instead of 13% so the AA at this point has to make improvements itself by itself before it really has any case to make. Its not the 1960s anymore you are holding yourself back.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:40 PM
JL

8,522 posts, read 14,535,626 times
Many Korean hip hop artists can thank African American rappers/hip hop artists for allowing them to have a career in hip hop...Drunken Tiger has made a killing in Korea and is considered the pioneer in Korean hip hop. His status is legendary. He was influenced by many African American rappers. He was born in Korea and his family left for LA when he was 12. He then returned to Korea years later. Some of his early works.

[YDG]

Drunken Tiger - 8:45 - YouTube

Another popular group(TBNY) also had influences in America...

Last edited by JL; 01-21-2014 at 11:04 PM..

Old 01-22-2014, 12:04 AM

11 posts, read 20,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post
By the way, I saw a post claiming Rock was Black music. I disagree. First, if anything it has African American roots. Black people from elsewhere were not singing the Blues or other Southern genres. Second, African Americans were developing their music both from their African roots as well as European influences. There was syncretism going on. When those early genres are embraced more openly by Euro Americans, they allow for even greated syncretism with more mainstream trends as well as allowing exposure to a large population base for pure individual creativity. Rock as we know it today is an American genre in its true sense. It has way too many influences from many regions of Americana for any one group to lay claim on it. But you still have to give credit to African American as the early progenitors.
Um, ask the Rolling Stones, Led Zeppelin, and The Who who they were imitating when they started making music. I'll give you a hint, most of 'em weren't White.

Old 01-22-2014, 08:18 AM

93,326 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelismaticEchoes View Post
Between 1931 and 1967, USA had the one drop rule in place. That did a lot of damage in the USA.

South Africa NEVER had a one drop rule.

Cuba actually had segregation similar to Jim Crow and apartheid up until after Castro took over. Cuba never had a one drop rule though either.
How did that alone do a lot of damage to the US? It is a matter of a social construct based upon economic gain that hurt people of Black African descent. That so called, but incorrectly named One Drop Rule was just a part of it in terms of the larger group work in the framework of racial purity and superiority that hurt a segment of the population.

Also, there are actually more Black men in the US in college than there are in prison/jail, given that one segment will largely be 18-24, while the other will have a wider age range. When you account for college age Black males, the ratio is anywhere from 2.5-4:1 in terms those in college:those in prison/jail. This doesn't even include those that just enter the workforce or are willingly serving in the military either. BlackDemographics.com | College & University

4x More Black Men in COLLEGE than PRISON! - YouTube

Are there more Black men in Jail or College? - YouTube

what black men think college prison - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies