Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 10:48 AM

18 posts, read 21,864 times

Advertisements

Here is how this math affects my family.

For years I paid up to $500/m for three PPO policies for my wife and two children because the small business I work for does not offer dependent coverage. Several weeks ago I got cancellation notices from HealthNet that these plans were ending January 2014. They offered replacement plans compatible with the ACA, the cheapest of which would have cost me $900/m. In other words we are losing our insurance.

Naturally I went to the ACA exchange and after finally getting the site to work, discovered that the closest equivalent plan to my cancelled one was an HMO, not a PPO, and my total cost would be almost $100 more per month. Worse, $297 of that monthly premium will be subsidized by my fellow Americans.

Just like us, millions of Americans who had insurance before ACA won't be insured come January 2014. Nobody is signing up even if they could. Heads will roll on this one, which will be very politically refreshing. I'm tired of all the banter and look forward to the tidal waves of change. It's going to hurt but America will be better when it's over.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:49 AM

1,963 posts, read 1,822,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
How is the ACA controlling "what the apple corporation is allowed to charge per apple"
Indirectly.

If I tell you you have start running your business a certain way, it affects costs. As you can clearly see by all the "Obama made my premium change" threads.

As explained in the OP, once the employer mandate starts, and the nonparticipation fee rises, more people will be paying into the system, and costs will stabilize.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:51 AM

46,278 posts, read 27,088,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith904 View Post
Indirectly.

If I tell you you have start running your business a certain way, it affects costs. As you can clearly see by all the "Obama made my premium change" threads.

As explained in the OP, once the employer mandate starts, and the nonparticipation fee rises, more people will be paying into the system, and costs will stabilize.

And how do they pay into the system? Is it by tax refunds? What if you don't get a tax refund?

Old 11-13-2013, 10:56 AM

3,599 posts, read 6,782,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Better than 50 million people uninsured and 129 million people with pre-existing conditions. Shame the Republicans tried so hard to block the other 30 million people from also being covered.
I've stated multiple times the 50 million uninsured is a fantasy. Cause when you break it down.

15 million have households over $75/year. 20 million are young adults ages 18-30 who would rather pay $100/month for smartphone/going to clubs and partying each month than pay for their health insurance.

The true uninsured are closer to 20 million.

Also it's not 129 million with pre existing conditions. It's at most 15% or about 45 million tops. And guess what the vast majority of employer sponsored healthcare allow people with pré existing conditions.

It's only the 5% who get individual insurance where pre existing condition may be a problem. Do the math. 5% (15 million get private individual insurance). Of that 15 million 15% have pre existing conditions. So at most you are talking about 1-2 million with pre existing conditions who would have problems getting insurance.

Dems love to inflate the real numbers. These are the real numbers.

Yet Obama spins it around and say the people getting their insurance canceled (primarily on indivudal insurance) make up less than 5% of population. Obama can inflate the real pre existing numbers (1-2 million) and at same time trivialize the people getting their insurance canceled.

Old 11-13-2013, 11:00 AM

46,278 posts, read 27,088,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
I've stated multiple times the 50 million uninsured is a fantasy. Cause when you break it down.

15 million have households over $75/year. 20 million are young adults ages 18-30 who would rather pay $100/month for smartphone/going to clubs and partying each month than pay for their health insurance.

The true uninsured are closer to 20 million.

Also it's not 129 million with pre existing conditions. It's at most 15% or about 45 million tops. And guess what the vast majority of employer sponsored healthcare allow people with pré existing conditions.

It's only the 5% who get individual insurance where pre existing condition may be a problem. Do the math. 5% (15 million get private individual insurance). Of that 15 million 15% have pre existing conditions. So at most you are talking about 1-2 million with pre existing conditions who would have problems getting insurance.

Dems love to inflate the real numbers. These are the real numbers.

Yet Obama spins it around and say the people getting their insurance canceled (primarily on indivudal insurance) make up less than 5% of population. Obama can inflate the real pre existing numbers (1-2 million) and at same time trivialize the people getting their insurance canceled.
Yep retired out of the Army, High blood pressure, and a few other things (preexisting), my wife is a diabetic and we walked right into a very nice BCBS plan, through my new company...we told the truth on our application, a nurse came to visit, made sure we were taking our medicine properly and signed off on us....

13,714 posts, read 31,169,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by k.smith904 View Post
You're right.

So worst case, everyone decides **** healthcare, and they all pay the penalty instead. Consumption stays the same. Realistically though, consumption will increase, and rates will drop.
I mean consumption of medical care.

Americans already consume too much medical care. Increasing consumption will drive higher demand, and even in a regulated environment will probably drive prices up.

3,997 posts, read 4,141,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Your math is really flawed. Kinda like Obamacare.

First off, not everybody will pay into the apple fund. And some will pay $2 and others will pay $50. And some of the 100 people have no teeth so they don't need apples but will be forced to pay anyway. Others would prefer oranges, but the government has said you can no longer buy oranges so they will be forced to pay for apples.

And the health insurance industry will make out like a bandit. It's part of Obama's Crony Capitalism.

And here's something else the OP forgot with their so-called "Math."

The people who get the apples, whether they paid for them or not must PAY AGAIN before they can bite that apple. It's called a deductible. If they couldn't pay the premium.. they can't pay the deductible. So we've given a whole bunch of apples to tease folks with because they can't "bite" the apple. And if they somehow have enough to bite once... they then have to pay again.. to bite again... (co-pay). Lot good that apple is going to do them setting on the shelf while they watch it rot.

Old 11-13-2013, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebooted View Post
Here is how this math affects my family.

For years I paid up to $500/m for three PPO policies for my wife and two children because the small business I work for does not offer dependent coverage. Several weeks ago I got cancellation notices from HealthNet that these plans were ending January 2014. They offered replacement plans compatible with the ACA, the cheapest of which would have cost me $900/m. In other words we are losing our insurance.

Naturally I went to the ACA exchange and after finally getting the site to work, discovered that the closest equivalent plan to my cancelled one was an HMO, not a PPO, and my total cost would be almost $100 more per month. Worse, $297 of that monthly premium will be subsidized by my fellow Americans.

Just like us, millions of Americans who had insurance before ACA won't be insured come January 2014. Nobody is signing up even if they could. Heads will roll on this one, which will be very politically refreshing. I'm tired of all the banter and look forward to the tidal waves of change. It's going to hurt but America will be better when it's over.
That's what I posted multiple times in different threads where people getting subsides still end up paying more than they would have been paying pre ACA.

The only true people who may benefit are those elderly plus having pre existing condition or those under 133% of poverty.

You are prime example of someone on individual market making between 133-400% of poverty who will still pay more for health care under the ACA.

And the employer mandate doesn't help you either since employers are not required to subsidize cost of non working spouses or their kids. This will become a huge problem since employers mandate kicks in 2015. People cannot even have choice to tap federal exchanges if employer is giving "employee" affordable insurance (but isn't required to subsidize spouse or kids). And the exchanges are too expensive for you to put your wife and kids on by themselves.

Old 11-13-2013, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Yep retired out of the Army, High blood pressure, and a few other things (preexisting), my wife is a diabetic and we walked right into a very nice BCBS plan, through my new company...we told the truth on our application, a nurse came to visit, made sure we were taking our medicine properly and signed off on us....
Thanks for backing what what I said. By law most employer sponsored plans usually cannot deny pre existing conditions and even if they did it could only be for around 3 months. Most waive pre existing conditions immediately.

This pre existing condition is way over blown. Is it a problem for 1-2 million? Absolutely. But Dems make it like all Americans are affected. If you have employer coverage or Medicare or even medicaid. Pre existing conditions is covered even before the ACA.

Old 11-13-2013, 11:10 AM

24,404 posts, read 23,056,554 times
You need to expand your apple analogy so it more accurately represents what the health care system is like and what Obamacare will be like.
Everybody will have to buy into the apple fund to even out the price of apples but the government will give some a voucher so they're not really paying anything.
Others won't buy apples so they may have to pay a nickel or a dime or a quarter anyway, for nothing.
Others already buy apples that they like but will now have to buy other apples from other growers that they may not like and they probably will be more expensive.
Obama's apple delivery truck had no brakes and no steering and drove into a ditch and flipped over. That may make getting apples more difficult.
Some apple growers may not like dealing with new rules and regulations and less profits and may just stop selling apples altogether. That will drive the price of apples up.
Young healthy people may not want to buy apples and buy other things. Older sicker people will want apples but if only they buy apples the cost of apples will go up.
Nobody likes having a gun put to your head telling you you MUST buy apples.
Obama said if you like your apples you can keep your apples and if you like your apple grower you can keep your apple grower. He lied.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies