Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 12:50 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,184,586 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Warned of what? For six years conservatives have warned that monetary expansion would be inflationary, drive interest rates skyward and devalue the dollar. None of those things happened.

Apart from being bad, monetary expansion is good in these times.
Nobody has argued that interest rates are going to sky rocket while the fed continues to pump, pump, pump and as has been pointed out in these threads many times prices are going up despite the governments claim that they are not. When you deceive by continuing to exclude the items going up you can make whatever claims you want.

If There

Retail Beef Prices Are Record High | Cattle Markets content from BEEF Magazine

Wheat Prices Hit Record Highs | Redstate
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 01:14 PM

34,278 posts, read 19,365,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Yep. That observation was spot on.
I have no idea why you feel the need to personally attack me, but hey if thats what floats your boat.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:20 PM

88,990 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greywar View Post
I have no idea why you feel the need to personally attack me, but hey if thats what floats your boat.
?... I commented on another poster's observation.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:20 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,945,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
Nobody has argued that interest rates are going to sky rocket while the fed continues to pump, pump, pump and as has been pointed out in these threads many times prices are going up despite the governments claim that they are not. When you deceive by continuing to exclude the items going up you can make whatever claims you want.

If There

Retail Beef Prices Are Record High | Cattle Markets content from BEEF Magazine

Wheat Prices Hit Record Highs | Redstate
Anyone can point to individual products and yell "ah ha it rose." That's why we use an index of many products. While consumers may notice when an item rises they don't when they fall. Here is gasoline.

What it really shows is how some people deal with inconvenient numbers -- by calling them fudged.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Anyone can point to individual products and yell "ah ha it rose." That's why we use an index of many products. While consumers may notice when an item rises they don't when they fall. Here is gasoline.
We do not. We pick and choose what products we will use. Feel free to argue that the ever increasing costs to people at the grocery store isn't real inflation if you wish.

Old 11-14-2013, 02:04 PM

18,801 posts, read 8,467,936 times
Quote:
Investors would have taken the brunt of it in 2008 also but they didn't. The government stepped in so they wouldn't. What makes you think they won't again?

A good bit of the middle class has their retirement tied up in a 401-k. If they loose a bit it hurts them far worse.

With the poor and middle class paying more and more for everything and the rich having all this wealth created by the government socked away in things like oil and wheat driving those prices even higher.

This is where they can start a war with us and never fire a shot.
The banks didn't take the brunt. Both the rich and middle class took hits in 2008. The rich lost in stocks and investments, so they were less rich. The middle class in their homes and jobs, and sure some 401-k. But because of housing and jobs they were left high and dry. By now the rich have recovered, but not the middle class. Housing and jobs have not recovered.

The next fall due to QE exuberance will not be as severe. IMO of course. It will be more sectoral and investment loss, not widespread and middle class lifestyle loss oriented. The rich will again be a bit less rich. But not on the order of loss as 2008.

The Chinese are not stupid enough to shoot themselves at this point in time. And what the Russkie's do is of little to no concern of mine.

Old 11-14-2013, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
The banks didn't take the brunt. Both the rich and middle class took hits in 2008. The rich lost in stocks and investments, so they were less rich.
Temporarily

Quote:
The middle class in their homes and jobs, and sure some 401-k.

But because of housing and jobs they were left high and dry. By now the rich have recovered, but not the middle class. Housing and jobs have not recovered.

The next fall due to QE exuberance will not be as severe. IMO of course. It will be more sectoral and investment loss, not widespread and middle class lifestyle loss oriented. The rich will again be a bit less rich. But not on the order of loss as 2008.

The Chinese are not stupid enough to shoot themselves at this point in time. And what the Russkie's do is of little to no concern of mine.
The rich are not less rich today. They are far more rich today than they were in 2008. There is nothing wrong with being rich except when the government is taking it out of the pockets of the taxpayers to increase their riches.

Old 11-14-2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Temporarily

The rich are not less rich today. They are far more rich today than they were in 2008. There is nothing wrong with being rich except when the government is taking it out of the pockets of the taxpayers to increase their riches.
Right. Me included.

My points.

The coming stock market correction will not be as severe and pervasive as the 2008 crash. And the middle class will not be as affected.

The rich are back to rich for now. IMO mostly due to new money creation not through increased taxation.

Old 11-14-2013, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Right. Me included.

My points.

The coming stock market correction will not be as severe and pervasive as the 2008 crash. And the middle class will not be as affected.

The rich are back to rich for now. IMO mostly due to new money creation not through increased taxation.
Inflation is a back door tax.

Old 11-14-2013, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Inflation is a back door tax.
For everyone. But it affects the middle class the hardest.
The poor we take care of.
The rich notice it, but with successful investments it should essentially be buried.
I have only felt it after 20-25 years of background inflation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies