Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Conservatives, would you drop gay marriage or abortion from your platform, or do you see that as bei
Yes, BOTH could be dropped from the platform. 31 62.00%
No, NEITHER should be dropped. 9 18.00%
I would drop gay marriage but not abortion. 10 20.00%
I would drop abortion but not gay marriage. 0 0%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 04:47 PM

5,355 posts, read 5,132,164 times

Advertisements

All social issues, drugs, abortion, gay marriage, gun rights... should be voted on by the general populace of each state. That political parties use these issues as bargaining chips is wrong. If all we voted on was economic stances and foreign policy stances when it came to election time, we would have much better people in office.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 04:54 PM

76,971 posts, read 47,629,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boner View Post
hard core conservative and neither issue concerns me. You cannot stop a woman from terminating a pregnancy. A woman can answer to her God or conscious when she snuffs a fetus.

Gay marriage has legal reprecussions effecting Probate, wills, social services and other issues that effect us all. What a person does in the bedroom I could care less

Most conservatives are not the sterotypical bible thumping zealots liberals like to paint them as
Your stance on issues makes you liberal on social issues.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:02 PM

89 posts, read 142,018 times
Abortion- I don't like it but I'm not really that gung-ho about abortion laws. I'll compromise and say, "I won't tell you what to do with the fetus in your womb if you don't tell me that I have to pay for any expenses with MY tax dollars!" You spread your legs, your call, and YOUR $$$, not mine! Fair trade?

Gay Marriage- Actually, I don't care. The image to two dudes making out is somewhat gross to me, (Not so much w/2 women, but probably b/c I'm a guy) but still, I don't care if they want to get married. No skin off my back. Is it against my 'religion?' Actually, I'm undecided on that but gay-bashing surely is. Either way, let gays marry and then suffer like the rest of us!

I'm not sure what a 'conservative' is anymore these days, but I'm pro-small government, anti-war, anti-political correctness, but pro-civil rights. We need to be tough on crime (after all, criminals are tough on us.) Pro-separation of church and state, but no one is guaranteed a puritanical freedom FROM religion either. I also think POTUS should be popular vote and not electoral college.

So basicallly, radical flaming liberals think I'm a Nazi conservative, and radical conservatives think I'm a flaming liberal.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:27 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtc08 View Post
thanks.
I don't care if two gays want to get married. Who does it hurt? It doesn't hurt anyone.

I will never drop abortion from "my platform" however. I've already argued why, to death, on these forums, I will not do it again. There is no way in hell I will ever drop abortion from my list of things I am against.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:28 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,737,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Unless conservatives are f-ing stupid, they will be totally silent on these issues no matter what their beliefs are and change the subject back to repealing the ObamaCare evil, fixing the economy Obama & the Democrats have wrecked, and the ending the massive corruption in DC under Obama's watch.

In 2014, if a GOP candidate ain't talking about these three things exclusively, they are an idiot who should be booed off the stage.
Perhaps you do not have the ability to concentrate on more than one point at a time, but some of us can.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:39 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,492,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Globe199 View Post
I agreed with you until recently. However, I closely followed the marriage equality debate in Minnesota. It became clear to me that the word "marriage" carries importance for gay and straight people in a way that "civil union" never will. I think we need to take that into consideration. Ultimately it won't matter, as all 50 states will be required to recognize same-sex marriages.
With the dismissal of a key segment of DOMA and the federal recognition of same sex marriages on the federal level, the federal government stated that no civil unions or domestic partnerships would be recognized for the 1049 Federally granted rights, protections and benefits, that only a marriage backed by a marriage license would be recognized, same sex or opposite sex, no ifs, no ands or buts, only marriage backed by a marriage license. A religious marriage without a marriage license too would not be recognized. The federal government does not support discrimination and in time will enforce marriage equality as it did with interracial marriage with the Loving verses the state of Virginia decision.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:29 PM

2,887 posts, read 2,635,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
... Loving verses the state of Virginia decision.
Loving v Virginia involved a heterosexual couple, not homosexual. It serves to reinforce marriage as being a man and a woman without any reference, innuendo, involvement or mention of the homosexual or homosexual so-called “marriage”.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:44 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
Quote:
You cannot stop a woman from terminating a pregnancy. A woman can answer to her
God or conscious when she snuffs a fetus.
That's actually the only logical conclusion anyone can come to. Unfortunately, not everyone can be logical, their brains aren't wired that way.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:45 PM

23,219 posts, read 29,044,905 times
Quote:
Ultimately it won't matter, as all 50 states will be required to recognize same-sex marriages.
Time will tell! After the first big flood of Gay divorces, Gay people may soon realize what a disaster Gay marriage is going to be, and they may hit the political trail and have Gay marriage repealed, state by state!

Old 11-13-2013, 10:59 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,459,160 times
Quote:
It's not at all the same. Your position is to take rights away. Our position is to grant them.
not the case with the 2nd amendment tho, lets just forget about rights then, right liberals
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies