Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-27-2013, 04:11 AM

26,954 posts, read 15,172,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Hospitals left out of the ACA plans are now suing to be put back in in Kentucky. Seeing all those thousands of potential customers going elsewhere is giving them a change of heart:

Eleven Kentucky hospitals have filed complaints with the state's insurance department because they were left out of narrow provider networks in plans sold on Kynect, Kentucky's new insurance exchange.

http://www.modernhealthcare.com/arti...exchange-plans

There's that narrow network "junk" again.
Fed and fueled by Obamacare.

Old 11-27-2013, 07:34 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,696,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Fed and fueled by operational and management choices of the HI companies.

Old 11-27-2013, 07:38 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,305,478 times
Quote:
All of a sudden "narrow network" and "junk" are appearing all over the press.

That's how HMO's operate and that's why if you had money you didn't enroll in an HMO.
Now they're good because they bring down premium cost.
Belonging to an HMO always had low premium costs because you were limited but you didn't have thousands in out of pocket.

Obamacare has transformed the HMO.
What people are getting with Obmacare is a high deductible HMO plan now.
You don't pay at the front end but boy will you be paying at the back end.

Old 11-27-2013, 07:54 AM

26,954 posts, read 15,172,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Fed and fueled by operational and management choices of the HI companies.

I don't recall any of them signing the Bill.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:10 AM

39,020 posts, read 51,057,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
All of a sudden "narrow network" and "junk" are appearing all over the press.

That's how HMO's operate and that's why if you had money you didn't enroll in an HMO.
Now they're good because they bring down premium cost.
Belonging to an HMO always had low premium costs because you were limited but you didn't have thousands in out of pocket.

Obamacare has transformed the HMO.
What people are getting with Obmacare is a high deductible HMO plan now.
You don't pay at the front end but boy will you be paying at the back end.
Once again, that is simply not so. The deductibles range from $0 to around $6K depending on plan. There is a good deal of choice about that aspect. $0 deductibles run about 50% higher than the highest deductibles. Bronze plans are not good value for young people where the cost of a better one is not that much more dollar wise. That explains why so many young people in the states that have reported are seeing young people opt for the platinum plans. Only 12% of the enrollees in KY, for example, are opting for the high deductible bronze offerings.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:13 AM

Quote:
I don't recall any of them signing the Bill.
LOL..they WROTE the bill that Congress passed and the President signed.

Liz Fowler..go read up on her.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Once again, that is simply not so. The deductibles range from $0 to around $6K depending on plan. There is a good deal of choice about that aspect. $0 deductibles run about 50% higher than the highest deductibles. Bronze plans are not good value for young people where the cost of a better one is not that much more dollar wise. That explains why so many young people in the states that have reported are seeing young people opt for the platinum plans. Only 12% of the enrollees in KY, for example, are opting for the high deductible bronze offerings.
I'm reading that the majority are middle age and opting for bronze and silver plans.
Maryland came out with their numbers and only 19% signed up for platinum.

All though say it's too early to call.
They need 38-40% young signups and so far have 20%.

Early Obamacare numbers show older Americans more apt to sign up - NBC News.com

Old 11-27-2013, 09:27 AM

3,599 posts, read 6,771,052 times
Quote:
I'd like to see the breakdown of the 12% who are opting for higher deductibles vs the ones opting for lower deductibles and higher premiums.

My best guess is the ones signing up for higher premiums and lower deductible are sicker older and or getting subsdized care.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
I'd like to see the breakdown of the 12% who are opting for higher deductibles vs the ones opting for lower deductibles and higher premiums.

My best guess is the ones signing up for higher premiums and lower deductible are sicker older and or getting subsdized care.
That was in the link I posted.
The early ones are the ones that need it and are subsidized.
Romneycare also showed the same initial numbers.

The young and healthy will be the stranglers in the signups.

Old 11-27-2013, 09:33 AM

39,020 posts, read 51,057,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post

Well, it was the other way around in the story. Only 12% are taking the bronze plans in the KY data. It also said that young (under 35) were choosing Platinum and Silver with silver the most popular overall. The silver makes sense to me as it is a middle of the road approach and once you get into the silver plans you get some choice about deductibles versus premium, copays etc that you don't get at the bronze level where most everything is high deductible. As for healthly versus sick, well there is no data on that as they don't ask any medical questions.

http://www.kyforward.com/our-health/...ut-1000-a-day/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies