Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-05-2013, 07:06 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,725,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntwrkguy1 View Post
Well, I doubt that's going to happen.

But I don't think Chris Matthews -- Mr. Tingle himself -- will cover that when he drools over.....err, interviews Obama tonight on TV. Because apparently there are three questions the Obama administration will not answer about Obamacare:

3 questions the Obama administration won't answer about Obamacare - CNN.com

Specifically:

1. How many people are on the website?
2. How many people are signing up?
3. How broken is the back end?

#3 is going to cause outrage in the next few weeks, because there are increasing reports that the back end -- the end that the insurance companies see in order to be able to give you the "high-quality, affordable health insurance" so frequently touted by our TeleprompterReader -- is as glitchy as the front end was on Oct. 1st.

Everything about Obamacare -- from the way it was deceptively forced on the American public, all the way to the poorly-built website -- is an embarrassment. It is likely the biggest embarrassment of the Obama administration, which is likely the biggest embarrassment of an administration we've ever had.
4. How many people have actually paid?

Because you're not enrolled unless you pay your first month's premium by Dec. 31. A new article this morning said Obama's team is worried that people don't realize they have to pay to be insured.

One insurance company said only 20% of the people who have finished applications have actually sent payment. Many of the insurance companies on the exchange don't accept payment through their website, and healthcare.gov hasn't even built the payment part of their website yet.

If the people don't pay by Dec. 31, the insurance companies have to void their applications and the people have to start all over again.

So as many as 80% of the people "enrolled" may not have insurance on Jan 1. We may end up with only a few tens of thousands with insurance next year.

Signing up for Obamacare doesn't mean you're insured - Dec. 5, 2013

Old 12-05-2013, 07:19 AM

39,072 posts, read 51,193,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goinback2011 View Post
Is LordBalfor an alternate ID for Ponderosa? Why are you responding?
There are but a handful of reasonable voices on P&OC, people who do not view things in absolutes and who are capable of critical analysis even of positions and circumstances with which they find little agreement. While thoughtful men and women who have raised their knuckles from the dust may be a P&OC rarity, I am not the only one. Lord Balfor is another. I welcome any help I can get in putting a little common sense as well as historical perspective into this discussion.

Old 12-05-2013, 07:21 AM

39,072 posts, read 51,193,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brentwoodgirl View Post

Because you're not enrolled unless you pay your first month's premium by Dec. 31. A new article this morning said Obama's team is worried that people don't realize they have to pay to be insured.

One insurance company said only 20% of the people who have finished applications have actually sent payment. Many of the insurance companies on the exchange don't accept payment through their website, and healthcare.gov hasn't even built the payment part of their website yet.

If the people don't pay by Dec. 31, the insurance companies have to void their applications and the people have to start all over again.

So as many as 80% of the people "enrolled" may not have insurance on Jan 1. We may end up with only a few tens of thousands with insurance next year.

If? We may? It is hard to argue with idle speculation. The insurer I chose sent me a bill and all the details of what kind of payment they take as well as forms for setting up and automatic deduction from my checking account. I think most people will figure it out when they get the welcome letter, the payment details, and a payment stub to include with the premium check. We are not total morons.

BTW, I haven't paid mine either. I will by the end of the month though.

Old 12-05-2013, 07:54 AM

5,064 posts, read 5,725,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
If? We may? It is hard to argue with idle speculation. The insurer I chose sent me a bill and all the details of what kind of payment they take as well as forms for setting up and automatic deduction from my checking account. I think most people will figure it out when they get the welcome letter, the payment details, and a payment stub to include with the premium check. We are not total morons.

BTW, I haven't paid mine either. I will by the end of the month though.
20% have paid. There is a 1/3 error rate in applications sent to insurers (and one of the errors is a lack of being sent on at all).
Those aren't speculation. Those are the number and facts being reported by the insurance companies.

Old 12-05-2013, 08:27 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,501,248 times
Quote:
The administration said 3.3 million need to enroll by Dec 31 to meet their targets. Through Nov, it's believed that about 129,000 have enrolled. If the "surge" (lol) of 14,500 per day for the rest of December, we'll still be at less than 600,000 through the federal exchange. And that doesn't even address the 1/3 error rate on the back end. At this rate about 400,000 will actually get insurance through the federal exchange and 5 million lost their insurance.
Not only will total enrollment fall far short of the target, but what might be even worse is the wrong proportion of younger vs older who enroll and pay. Ocare needs the generally healthier less-costly under 35's in the plans. Instead, too many over 45's are signing up. This will cause insurers to drop out of the exchanges and the plans offered next year to be atrocious.

Old 12-05-2013, 08:28 AM

41,110 posts, read 25,716,857 times
Quote:
There are but a handful of reasonable voices on P&OC, people who do not view things in absolutes and who are capable of critical analysis even of positions and circumstances with which they find little agreement. While thoughtful men and women who have raised their knuckles from the dust may be a P&OC rarity, I am not the only one. Lord Balfor is another. I welcome any help I can get in putting a little common sense as well as historical perspective into this discussion.
I'm capable of critical analysis and it tells me my insurance policy is being terminated. It also tells me an Obamacare policy is bad apple insurance that will cost me more money.

Old 12-05-2013, 10:28 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,846,493 times
Quote:
As with the birther crowd, the nobamacare people have a hard time giving up the phony outrage.

Old 12-05-2013, 10:31 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,948,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
As with the birther crowd, the nobamacare people have a hard time giving up the phony outrage.
As usual, the obamadontcare people are incapable if objectively looking at anything the failed President does, especially when it comes to the laughably named "Affordable Care Act."

Old 12-05-2013, 10:40 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,034,960 times
Quote:

I really do believe that hubris and arrogance are now playing a major role in why this mess is not being addressed properly.

Old 12-05-2013, 10:41 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,846,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
I'm capable of critical analysis and it tells me my insurance policy is being terminated. It also tells me an Obamacare policy is bad apple insurance that will cost me more money.
I wonder ... were you equally outraged last year, and the decades before that, when people were finding their Ins policies cancelled?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies