Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2013, 08:55 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
The cost of cancer treatments in the US is skyrocketing and it is outpatient.
How many folks have 200,000 laying around for chemo/radiation treatments?

That is why it is foolish to continue this health insurance facade.
If we are to pay a tax, get the added overhead of profit (private insurance) out of the way.
Ever hear of catastrophic plans ?

Old 11-26-2013, 09:00 AM

8,630 posts, read 9,135,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
How do you do that if you are in a group plan? If you are raising a family can you do that? Most likely no. Also, how does age fit into catastrophic plans? Also how does each individual state handle these plans. I bet those plans are So all over the place from state to state they are not even viable for most.

Old 11-26-2013, 09:03 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,018,108 times
Quote:
That is why I mentioned cancer treatments.
Most catastrophic plans have a small limit/payout on outpatient.
Sure, you are covered if you break your leg and go in the hospital.
But then, you probably could pay cash for that cost over time,
if you had to anyways.
Cancer treatments, not so much...

Old 11-26-2013, 09:09 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
How do you do that if you are in a group plan? If you are raising a family can you do that? Most likely no. Also, how does age fit into catastrophic plans? Also how does each individual state handle these plans. I bet those plans are So all over the place from state to state they are not even viable for most.
They are all the same now. $6350/12700 deductible and you pay nothing after that. You get 3 "free" visits to the doctor in addition to free preventive care. The catch: they are only available to those under 30 or to those for whom the cheapest bronze level health plan would be more than 8% of gross. I've never been in a group that had such minimal coverage, but there will be many groups in the future that offer bronze coverage which is not really much more than catastrophic would be. For individuals, catastrophics run as little as 70 bucks a month before subsidy in my state for the under 30s.

Old 11-26-2013, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmking View Post
How did America ever get to where we are today ?
Group plans were not the all inclusive, just pay your $15 and everything else is free like it is today.
You're paying out of the nose premiums for all that "free-ness".

Yeah I know..costs too much and you can't afford it.

If it costs too much for you, doesn't it also cost too much for your neighbor ?
Who do you tax if everyone thinks it costs too much for themselves ?

If you are a healthy person a catastrophic plan is just fine.
You coverage doesn't stay the same your entire life.

I've been through several different types of plans over the course of time.
When raising kids I had a high premium, low deductible plan because of the nature of kids.
I'm an empty nester now and don't need that anymore. I'm still healthy.

Old 11-26-2013, 09:15 AM

Quote:
if you had to anyways.
The ACA does away with that sort of thing. Copays and outpatient fees now count in the deductible. No more thousands of dollars in uncovered expenses after your so-called maximum out of pocket is reached. When you reach your max, you are done. If you get in an accident or get cancer, you will never pay more than $6350 per year no matter which plan you have. BTW, these rules now apply to employer policies too.

Old 11-26-2013, 09:18 AM

Quote:
if you had to anyways.
If you are prone to cancer or have it in your family line than I would hope you wouldn't opt for a cheaper catastrophic plan.

Old 11-26-2013, 09:29 AM

Quote:

Who do you tax if everyone thinks it costs too much for themselves ?

If you are a healthy person a catastrophic plan is just fine.
You coverage doesn't stay the same your entire life.

I've been through several different types of plans over the course of time.
When raising kids, I had a high premium, low deductible plan because of the nature of kids.
I'm an empty nester now and don't need that anymore. I'm still healthy.
What is the nature of an empty nester, senior? From a cost standpoint
those on Medicare should have the highest premium plan because of
the nature of illness.

Wouldn't be nice if since you are so healthy you could opt out of Medicare and
join the exchange

Someone on Medicare, should be yelling for Medicare for ALL.

A Doctor With a Cure:

The man who refused offers of prestigious international positions because he felt a duty to carry on the battle to reform the US healthcare system understood the challenge of seeking that reform at a time “when society is going toward selfish extremes…when [governments] pay anything to build up the military but don’t want to give to the social good.” Gene Farley

Old 11-26-2013, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
The ACA does away with that sort of thing. Copays and outpatient fees now count in the deductible. No more thousands of dollars in uncovered expenses after your so-called maximum out of pocket is reached. When you reach your max, you are done. If you get in an accident or get cancer, you will never pay more than $6350 per year no matter which plan you have. BTW, these rules now apply to employer policies too.
That is why ACA won't work. You would need 100 percent participation.
Just chime in for Medicare for All, and we will call it a day

Old 11-26-2013, 09:38 AM

Quote:
If you are prone to cancer or have it in your family line than I would hope you wouldn't opt for a cheaper catastrophic plan.
Why not? The worst you would be looking at is 6350 a year. The cost of the cheapest plans in my state are a good 3000 less than the zero deductible ones. So you are out only 3350 and even less if it is an HSA where you can deduct the medical bills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies