Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-15-2013, 12:54 PM

3,599 posts, read 6,782,668 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
You are understandably making it personal. Most non HMO policies did not operate as you portray your policy did. Far more typical is that one had to pay out of pocket for preventative services until their deductible was met. Once the deductible was met, insurance would cover $X. Anything billed over $X was the responsibility of the insured party up to the annual out of pocket cap.

50 states with 50 different laws and thousands of different plans....no way one can use a broad brush to paint all experiences.

As an aside, your insurance company has had access to all your medical information as a condition of payment, all along. Nothing within ACA changes this.
Many people on individual market plans have opted for HSA compatible high deducible plans the last 4-5 years.

By design, HSA compatible plans have usually covered preventive services "for free". I've had my individual hSa plan with carefirst blue cross of Maryland since 2006. All the preventive benefits have always been paid out at 100% and never applied to my deducible. There is a very small $30 "co pay" for preventative services including colonscopy, physicals, annual lab work etc. Maybe carefirst was ahead of the game with their HSA plans back in 2006 and others have caught up in recent years.

I have an indemnity plan. Practically the best plan you can have cause I have essentially no network with my individual plan. I can see any provider in any state that accepts blue cross blue shield which is practically every provider and they just bill the local blue cross company.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:57 PM

2,032 posts, read 6,889,299 times
I have an individual plan from Blue Cross who sent me a cancellation letter but will allow me to stay with them one more year until they jack up my rate. I have been increasing my deductible for the last 10 years for this plan just to have insur
. The insurance companies designed this big mess for Obama who obviously disconnected himself from their hidden agenda. The u.s. should be on socialized medicine with the White House calling the shots. We should all have the same plan with government oversight. This fiasco is our entire governments fault. Obama is a big disappoimtment in not firing people responsible and not telling us the truth about this monster. Obama should be impeached and HIllary appointed Prez.

Old 11-15-2013, 12:57 PM

808 posts, read 662,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
Many people on individual market plans have opted for HSA compatible high deducible plans the last 4-5 years.

By design, HSA compatible plans have usually covered preventive services "for free". I've had my individual hSa plan with carefirst blue cross of Maryland since 2006. All the preventive benefits have always been paid out at 100% and never applied to my deducible. There is a very small $30 "co pay" for preventative services including colonscopy, physicals, annual lab work etc. Maybe carefirst was ahead of the game with their HSA plans back in 2006 and others have caught up in recent years.

I have an indemnity plan. Practically the best plan you can have cause I have essentially no network with my individual plan. I can see any provider in any state that accepts blue cross blue shield which is practically every provider and they just bill the local blue cross company.
Not anymore - "thanks", obamacare.

Old 11-15-2013, 01:01 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vox populi View Post
Not anymore - "thanks", obamacare.
They have country wide policies on the ACA for my state. All of them are Blue Cross. They cost the most, though, maybe 25% more than the local PPOs and 50% more than the local HMOs. Here though, just about every doc and hospital is in every plan. They probably just give up and say "whatever" when the insurance negotiator shows up. It has to be a nightmare to deal with so many companies and so many contracts.

Old 11-15-2013, 01:08 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,945,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MUTGR View Post
Total Healthcare "Enrollment" As A Result Of Obamacare: -3.9 Million | Zero Hedge

I must say Obama and the democrats are working the same magic on healthcare they did on the economy. 9 million fewer workers since he took office, now 3.9 million fewer with healthcare since Obamacare kicked in.

Nice job dems!

I guess the criticism of the ACA got a bit much for the "mods." Nice move, trying to squeeze all of those posts into two big threads.

I guess I don't blame you - the news isn't pretty and it's flying hot and heavy.
Your assertion isn't even true.

Old 11-15-2013, 01:13 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,407,529 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
I'm actually facing this issue now. I have a daughter who has a rare skull base tumor. My previous PPO was in-network for her previous doctors no problem. Now, the extremely narrow networks due to Obamacare is a huge issue for my family. We went years with a great choice of in-network doctors. Now, with Obamacare, that network has narrowed to the point that I will face enormous out of pocket costs to get my daughter's tumor treated. I've shopped all the plans in my state - they all have the same incredibly narrow networks.

I've been told by the left that networks change all the time and Obamacare has nothing to do with this. Why then, I wonder, did the insurance companies decide to suddenly up and change these networks so dramatically to coincide with Obamacare? I find their lackluster explanation of 'this has always happened' either naive or intentionally misleading.
My heart goes out to you, southbel. I hope the incredible hash we've ended up with, with deep structural flaws compounded by administrative incompetence, will soon give way to a more rational system.

It seems like if 85% of us had insurance that worked and 15% of us did not, the simplest thing would be to find a way to get care to that 15%. But instead they had to screw up the 85% in the process, and they really aren't doing that much to reduce the uninsured anyway!

Some posters that support the ACA evidently live in places where the networks and choices and premiums and deductibles and out-of-pockets are all good. It isn't me and it isn't you, unfortunately.

Best wishes to you and yours.

Old 11-15-2013, 01:15 PM

3,405 posts, read 3,449,324 times
My so called crappy plan that got cancelled dec 2014.

11000 deductable
80/20

$600 a month includes dental no copays

Let me explain it to the low info's

I pay 20% of all costs and it goes towards my deductable. Once my 20% for my family of 4 hits a combined $11,000 it turns to 100% covered.

This yr we have used only $1500 or so of that deducable so it was better to go with a high plan then to pay $300 more for a 0deduct plan or even a 100 or so more for a smaller deductable.

Tell me that is a crappy plan for a family of 4 that includes dental!

Old 11-15-2013, 01:17 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,725,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southbel View Post
Honestly, who cares? The American public looked at the law Obamacare and knew it was a bad plan. They loudly and emphatically told their Representatives they did not want this law. Republicans listened to their constituents and voted against this debacle. So who cares what a think tank came up with 30 years ago? Did all of you on the left think we would honestly support a law such as Obamacare simply because the Heritage Foundation once thought this was the way to go 30 years ago? Well, I can attest we did not.
My point was and remains, that the mandate and healthcare as a human right was once championed by conservatives.

Old 11-15-2013, 01:18 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,022,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
My heart goes out to you, southbel. I hope the incredible hash we've ended up with, with deep structural flaws compounded by administrative incompetence, will soon give way to a more rational system.

It seems like if 85% of us had insurance that worked and 15% of us did not, the simplest thing would be to find a way to get care to that 15%. But instead they had to screw up the 85% in the process, and they really aren't doing that much to reduce the uninsured anyway!

Some posters that support the ACA evidently live in places where the networks and choices and premiums and deductibles and out-of-pockets are all good. It isn't me and it isn't you, unfortunately.

Best wishes to you and yours.
Thank you. Yes, I keep hearing on MSNBC and the like that I am statistically insignificant. They can bite my statistically insignificant azz. I wholeheartedly agree with you that dismantling insurance for all to cover the group who needed help was an asinine method of solving the problem.

Old 11-15-2013, 01:20 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,815,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0618 View Post
My so called crappy plan that got cancelled dec 2014.

11000 deductable
80/20

$600 a month includes dental no copays

Let me explain it to the low info's

I pay 20% of all costs and it goes towards my deductable. Once my 20% for my family of 4 hits a combined $11,000 it turns to 100% covered.

This yr we have used only $1500 or so of that deducable so it was better to go with a high plan then to pay $300 more for a 0deduct plan or even a 100 or so more for a smaller deductable.

Tell me that is a crappy plan for a family of 4 that includes dental!
Well, you at least have another year to review.

Why isn't/wasn't your plan ACA compliant? Or is it to be cancelled because the insurance company wasn't making enough from it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies