Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2013, 04:23 PM

3,599 posts, read 6,772,536 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
They get payment assistance on silver plans, as I understand. Here's a story on it if you can make any sense of it:

In Addition To Premium Credits, Health Law Offers Some Consumers Help Paying Deductibles And Co-Pays - Kaiser Health News
Like I said. It' does nothing for those making 250-400% of poverty in terms of payment assistance.

You raise the premiums. Increase the max out of pocket deducible. With subsides and no assistance in co pays or limits of deduces. Those making 250-400% even with subsides would still have been better off under pre ACA days unless they were older and sicker.

Old 11-18-2013, 05:25 PM

58,756 posts, read 27,092,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
No it wasn't. Obamacare does not deal with cost.

Obamacare is subsidized health insurance with all caps/restrictions removed..plain and simple.
Obamacare deals with insurance, not cost of services.
Even though Obama state over and over how it WOULD LOWER COSTS by $2,500.

Old 11-18-2013, 05:32 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,764,307 times
The argument for cost control is that it provides a standardized product in a competitive environment. All us capitalist would believe that will lead to competition and minimization of cost.

Old 11-18-2013, 05:36 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,764,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post
Like I said. It' does nothing for those making 250-400% of poverty in terms of payment assistance.

You raise the premiums. Increase the max out of pocket deducible. With subsides and no assistance in co pays or limits of deduces. Those making 250-400% even with subsides would still have been better off under pre ACA days unless they were older and sicker.
Has it not been clear from day 1 that some would end up paying more? I thought it was. The young and the well off are the obvious victims. The sick and the older will do better.

Did hear an odd one on the radio today...that Medicare was increasing for some because of Obamacare. We have seen our numbers and we had a small increase...same as most years. But is there someway that Obamacare is impacting Medicare? If so how?

Old 11-18-2013, 05:38 PM

39,026 posts, read 51,082,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aneftp View Post

What I have read is that the true value of a policy is given by its actuarial value. In the case of ACA all plans must have a minimum 60% actuarial value to the policy holder. Of course, since value depends so much on individual needs, the actuarial value may not be a good measure on a person by person basis. But, if you are setting up a system and want to compare apples to apples, that is what you need to look at. I wonder how many of these plans that people had would compare favorably on that basis. Did the old individual market give the actuarial value of its plans to prospective customers?

Old 11-19-2013, 03:47 AM

11,677 posts, read 5,700,835 times
[quote=Proud2beAMom;32282946]Right now, 80% are unaffected.. and 80% will remain unaffected. their insurer will have to buy healthcare if they are over 50 employees big. Period.....

If employers make them contribute more of their paycheck , it's on them.

Obamacare was meant to SLOW the growht of health insurance cost over the long haul. It isn't a magic pill that will suddenly stop incresaes from occurring.

Guess what, employers were increasing premium contirbutions by employers LONG BEFORE Obamacare came to be. THey were also cutting off insuring employee families and many were insuring only the employee because of the cost.

Part of the reason why our pay has gone in REVERSE is because those "increases" were added on the benefits end with the double digit rise in the price on insurance companies.

Right now, we know that 80% are unaffected.Period. What you have said, again, is conjecture with no proof it will even occurr as you "predict" ..

Come back to tell me "I told you so" when it actually happens.. IF it even does.[/quote}

I won't be back for you to say I told you so as you're wrong.

You state 80% of the people will not be affected because of employer sponsored health insurance. Due to the terrible employer sponsored health insurance - I had a talk with my husband's employer today.

He's a great guy, age 92, who does the utmost for his employees. He always absorbed much of the increase each year so his employees wouldn't have to. We had good insurance just copays no deductibles. Three years ago when Obamacare passed - we were put into a self funded BC/BS policy with a deductible and prescriptions through a mail order service. It wasn't a bad plan as most everything was covered so you didn't often have a deductible and the mail order service was convenient.

Unfortunately due to the increase in the cost of this policy and the downturn of business - we are now in another insurance plan which has a higher deductible and very few items are exempt from the deductible. The new mail order service stinks and for 3 months my husband has been late on getting his pills as they would only give you a 30 day supply. They will only let you reorder within 5 days of needing a new refill and with it taking 5-10 shipping days - it's already interrupting your medication intake. There is not one copayment for a 90 day supply as with the past plan but if they fix the glitch and let you order a 90 day supply you will be charged 2 1/2 times your copay for each medication.

The cost of Obamacare is being spread far and wide and does effect employers and their employees. It has already put a strain on our budget and of many other employees families - so don't tell me it won't affect us.

Old 11-19-2013, 04:23 AM

3,404 posts, read 3,442,278 times
When this goverment says 80% wont be affected... You can bet what it means is 80% will be affected!

Old 11-19-2013, 05:36 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,488,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0618 View Post
When this goverment says 80% wont be affected... You can bet what it means is 80% will be affected!
fyi, here's a link to the ridiculous chart people are using to claim 80% of people are 'unaffected' by Ocare ---
The chart that could save Obamacare.

The slightest bit of analysis or common sense tells a normal, fair-minded person the figure is stupid.

Old 11-19-2013, 08:38 AM

7,449 posts, read 5,716,173 times
Excellent piece. A little long on the tooth but excellent read.

Obamacare

Old 11-19-2013, 08:44 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,329,907 times
What you are getting with Obamacare is subsidized high deductible insurance plans.
People who couldn't afford insurance are going to go with the Bronze plan.
And then walk away from their high bills.

They did it with mortgages, they did it with HELOCS, they did it with credit cards, they did it with student loans.
And they will do it with Obamacare.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.