Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-14-2013, 12:12 PM

23,559 posts, read 17,227,205 times

Advertisements

Agree too many in prisons that should be sentenced to resitution except for violent crimes.

Prisons are the center of excellence for a criminal continuing education and deprivation of individual rights by a failed incarceration and judicial sytem. Inmates run the prisons as recently noted in Maryland.

Revolution needs to take place to set the prison system right.

The ganster culture has been bred into some parts of our culture and clashes with the legal system as some are more aligned with violent acts for the perception of being dissed than to the constraints created by law.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2013, 12:12 PM

3,537 posts, read 2,735,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no1brownsfan View Post
True, but folks like Bernie Madoff pillaged people of their life savings.
And Screwed my favorite baseball team for a decade!

Not that their ownership is anything to tout about!

Old 11-14-2013, 01:04 PM

20,300 posts, read 22,221,236 times
This has potential. Imagine the money we could save and criminals could actually begin to redeem themselves.
Brazil inmates cycle to freedom by generating electricity | euronews, world news

Old 11-14-2013, 06:35 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,731,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Maybe we should adopt some of China and Russia's deterrents to committing a crime. I do believe they are a whole lot stricter and harder on criminals then we are.

Russia created the most evil drug know to man "krocodil" so I guess even with strict laws against drugs they still have an epidemic..

https://www.thewatershed.com/blog/kr...of-drug-abuse/

Old 11-14-2013, 07:22 PM

45,226 posts, read 26,443,162 times
Too many prisoners is a symptom of having too many laws. Every american breaks multiple laws a day just going about their business and never realizes it.
We should the end drug war and any law that has no actual victim.

Last edited by Frank DeForrest; 11-14-2013 at 07:31 PM..

Old 11-14-2013, 07:26 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,275,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by English Dave View Post
You are right, it is shocking the amount of Americans in jail. I read somewhere that privately run jails are promised plenty of people to keep their profits up. It can't be a good thing to lock up so many people. They struggle to find work after leaving jail, and their police record follows them for life.

I used to think many years ago, as I listened to the propaganda spewed out by governments about drug misuse, "oh yes, lock 'em up, that'll teach them." But, the illegal use of drugs is worse than ever. I saw on the news this morning, Afghanistan is producing more heroin than ever before. Jailing people for using drugs is, I believe a waste of time and money. We have been locking people up for many years now.... it isn't working, and has cost taxpayers all over the world a fortune.

But, our political leaders refuse to think of any other way to tackle this problem, so we carry on jailing people. The only winners by doing this seems to be the lawyers and private jails.

I saw a thread a few days ago titled something like '1 in 4 Americans has a police record.' Something here is wrong people. May be folks are being arrested unfairly, and without good reason? Do Americans feel safer with such a large percentage of your population in jail?
Who goes to jail for using drugs?

Old 11-14-2013, 07:32 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,227,733 times
We dole out draconian punishments, we incarcerate people for minor offenses, we do not believe in rehabilitation, we jail for revenge, we leave no lea-way from anything but apply black-and-white judgments no matter what, we made incarceration into a business that needs prisoners to make money, our police have become omnipotent with so much power and impunity that people are afraid of them.

Who is surprised?

Old 11-14-2013, 07:51 PM

1,579 posts, read 2,341,583 times
Local governments, especially in the south and ESPECIALLY here in Louisiana are absolutely out of control and drunk with power. They are pushing for new/tougher laws and throwing people in jail left and right. They say its all for your safety but its really about power.

Louisiana reminds my Arab friends of their homeland, with all the checkpoints and submission/fear of police. We have more police per capita than any other state and any other country.

Private prisons is one of the worst ideas, ever.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:45 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,932,122 times
Agree with OP. This is embarrassing. As a first world nation we should be ashamed of ourselves. There is a powerful prison-industrial complex in place. Look at the ridiculous war on drugs; it's primary goal is to prop up that complex. Gotta keep all the fat cats happy. And what's worse is once someone gets introduced into the prison system, chances are they will end up in it again at some point. We should focus on rehabilitation, not incarceration. As it is now the system only perpetuates problems rather than address them.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:42 PM

5,758 posts, read 11,636,388 times
The sad thing is - even with all the incarceration and heavy security presence in many areas - we still have the highest murder rate in the developed world. It'd be one thing to have a police state that was effective at controlling crime. But to have an ineffective police state is just sad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies