Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2013, 06:14 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,511,041 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
That was my first thought. Sounds like a good ad campaign for Amazon, lol.
You can buy used books on Amazon. Maybe putting books in the microwave before you touch them may be a good idea or wear surgical gloves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2013, 06:15 PM

15,080 posts, read 14,323,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
It's all those little nooks and crannies you can hide in. Lots of self pleasuring going on along while reading. OMG Take the book home first.
What makes you think these books WEREN'T taken home?

Old 11-15-2013, 06:29 PM

12,322 posts, read 17,134,528 times
Germs, germs everywhere. A large supply of U.S. bills has measurable traces of cocaine on it too. Just wash your hands after handling foreign objects if you are concerned. One should wash their hands when coming in from outside anyway, and your fine. If we worry about things like this we will all go nuts.

Old 11-15-2013, 06:44 PM

15,852 posts, read 35,135,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by janelle144 View Post
Herpes Virus Found on Library Copies of 'Fifty Shades of Grey'

Two Belgian university professors recently decided to submit the 10 most borrowed books at the Antwerp library to bacteriology and toxicology tests.

Traces of cocaine were found on all 10 books. The traces were small enough that readers would not feel the effects, but significant enough that they could test positive for cocaine.

But the real case of life imitating art was revealed when the scientists discovered traces of the herpes virus in the pages of the erotic tale Fifty Shades of Grey.

In order to prevent a public panic, professors assured readers that the concentrations of the herpes virus were minimal and that the virus could not be contracted simply by touching the book.

They also suggested that books are for reading.

83% of the adult population of the US has oral herpes (herpes simplex). Perhaps they were drooling.

20yrsinBranson

Old 11-15-2013, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weltschmerz View Post
What makes you think these books WEREN'T taken home?
They probably were, I was answering the security guy who said he was called to the library many times to kick out a pervert.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
83% of the adult population of the US has oral herpes (herpes simplex). Perhaps they were drooling.

20yrsinBranson
LOL, or something.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:22 PM

27,624 posts, read 21,125,541 times
Money is right up there with books for harboring all sort of nasty things. How often do you clan the inside of your wallet?

Old 11-15-2013, 09:25 PM

Herpes virus in

'What can we do that has never been done before?' our colleague Stijn Van de Voorde must have thought when he struggled to fill his programme. The programme maker then instructed two university professors to examine the ten most borrowed books at the Antwerp lending library. The findings were pretty surprising.

The experts are active in the fields of bacteriology and toxicology. Their findings are revealing.
All ten books including Dimitri Verhulst's Flemish bestseller 'De helaasheid der dingen' and Jommeke comic strips tested positive for cocaine.

Toxicologist Prof Jan Tytgat of the Catholic University of Leuven: "The levels found won't have a pharmacological effect. Your consciousness or behaviour won't change as a result of reading the tomes."
However, people tested after reading the book would test positive for cocaine.

Prof Jan Tytgat: "Today's testing methods are so sensitive that traces of the drug originating from a contaminated book will be found in your hair, blood and urine."

Two books E.L. James 'Fifty Shades of Grey' and Pieter Aspe's 'Tango' showed traces of the herpes virus. The virus causes cold sores and may be transmitted via sexual activity.

Readers should not be alarmed. Concentrations of the virus found were so low that they do not pose a danger to our health."

Geesh you will test positive for cocaine after handling the book. In your hair, blood and urine.

They tested 10 books and 2 books,"Fifty Shades of Grey" and "Tango" tested for herpes.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:25 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,733,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Money is right up there with books for harboring all sort of nasty things. How often do you clan the inside of your wallet?
When is the last time people carried cash? I can't even remember when I have had a piece of money in my wallet, or my hand. I use my debit card, and don't have to touch filthy money.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:30 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,630,850 times
I find this thread depressing. Do you have any idea how many books I handled without sanitary gloves on in my 28 years of working in the library?? Of course, I am an habitual hand washer. And I was just about to have another cup of coffee and a cookie. Time to wash my hands AGAIN!

We also did our best to sanitize our telephones, desks, chairs, computers, shelves and spent hours cleaning books. And everybody thought we just sat there and read all day. LOL.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies