Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 03:28 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times

Advertisements

I wonder if brits in the UK would get so bent out of shape over the American flag, since, after all, we seceded from them the same way the CSA tried to secede here.

Old 11-18-2013, 03:39 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,525,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arctichomesteader View Post
I wonder if brits in the UK would get so bent out of shape over the American flag, since, after all, we seceded from them the same way the CSA tried to secede here.
They probably would if they would have defeated us. What part of YOU LOST does the South not understand?

You have no right to fly that flag. You are insulting all those Union troops who gave their lives to take that flag down forever and BTW, they WON that right to take the flag down and keep it put away.

I've said it before, the flag is a part of history and so I believe it belongs in a case in a museum. But to fly it is just showing your own ignorance.

Old 11-18-2013, 03:41 PM

48 posts, read 54,489 times
Quote:
Maybe a better analogy would be, what would Colonial Americas think of those flying the Union Jack after 1779?

What do you think Union soldiers would have done during reconstruction if someone wanted to fly their "heritage" flag?

Old 11-18-2013, 03:44 PM

18,358 posts, read 26,495,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
They probably would if they would have defeated us. What part of YOU LOST does the South not understand?

You have no right to fly that flag. You are insulting all those Union troops who gave their lives to take that flag down forever and BTW, they WON that right to take the flag down and keep it put away.

I've said it before, the flag is a part of history and so I believe it belongs in a case in a museum. But to fly it is just showing your own ignorance.
The first amendment wasn't altered after the war so you are wrong on that.

Moreover, killing people never really solves political issues.

Old 11-18-2013, 03:49 PM

25,847 posts, read 16,525,824 times
Quote:
The first amendment wasn't altered after the war so you are wrong on that.

Moreover, killing people never really solves political issues.
Oh, so now it represents some wacky political views? How do you think the founders of the Confederacy would feel about that? Jefferson Davis would be disgusted to see that flag flying on morons trailer houses and stuck to 4WD trucks as a little gimmick meant to offend people.

That's all it is. Nothing more.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:01 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,941,676 times
Quote:

I've said it before, the flag is a part of history and so I believe it belongs in a case in a museum.
Actually I've seen captured Confederate flags in glass cases in my state capitol building in Harrisburg. But really, don't you think Civil War re-enactors have a right to carry both Union and CSA flags? Besides, we have the right to freedom of speech, so I'm sure that includes waving a Confederate flag.

Quote:
Oh, so now it represents some wacky political views? How do you think the founders of the Confederacy would feel about that? Jefferson Davis would be disgusted to see that flag flying on morons trailer houses and stuck to 4WD trucks as a little gimmick meant to offend people.
I agree with you there. I think in his farewell speech to his troops at Appomattox Gen. Lee urged his men to be good citizens. Davis, although he fled Richmond, accepted the defeat of the South bravely upon capture and did not stew in hatred or anger against the North even though he was treated abominably during his incarceration.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:04 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,033,991 times
Quote:
Foreign flags actually represent something. The Confederate flag represents what?
I guess that is up to the person with the flag isn't it?

Old 11-18-2013, 08:08 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,033,991 times
Quote:

I served so that people would continue to have the right to do whatever they want, fly whatever flag they want, say what they want and be what they want.

Instead of whining about it like a little ***** here you should go out and force those people flying that flag to take it down... oh wait, you're too scared to even think about that. You walk by people flying that flag and it burns you up instead but you don't say anything, you don't do anything and you certainly don't stand up and take that flag down because people like you talk a huge game but never do anything to back it up.

It's just a flag, if you don't like it deal with it.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:13 PM

57,271 posts, read 26,199,434 times
Quote:
Just a bit different don't you think, our issues with England had more to do with treating us as indentured servants, what exactly was the wrong inflicted on the south that made them want to secede. They left the union because of slavery.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:32 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,132,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
It's a really good thing ignorant people like you aren't in charge of anything, otherwise that whole pesky 1st amendment thing would go right out of the window.
Actually many people just like me are in higher positions then you and they tend to be in charge ... The President comes to mind... It must be tough for someone with your attitude to have a black leader...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies