Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2013, 06:18 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,295,184 times

Advertisements

I would like the Leftists to explain the term "income inequality." What is it? How does it occur, and what should be done to correct it?

In your posts, please discuss wealth, wealth distribution, wealth creation, and the moral issues involved in creating wealth, which would include the right to own property, and the right to the fruit of ones labor, and the exclusive right to ones intellectual property.

You may also want to answer the following:
  1. How does one improve ones standard of living; i.e., rise from poverty to middle class, to wealthy?
  2. How should one put their money to work?
  3. What does it mean to own stock?
  4. What obligations does a company have to it's employees?
  5. What obligations does an employee have to his employer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2013, 06:40 AM

4,272 posts, read 3,786,079 times
Not an expert opinion here;

Consider income equality where everyone in the population earns an equal amount no matter how a person earns it versus income inequality where people earn differing amounts depending on what people are willing to pay others and/or what payment people are willing to accept from others.

I didn't realize that income inequality was something to be corrected.

Now the degree of inequality can be a problem in that if there is a large degree of difference in inequality then most of the wealth of an entire population can be tied up into a small portion of the population. If one believes that the economic growth of a nation is based on consumption; then a small portion of the population can only consume so much. And, if the majority of earners can only consume staples, then a whole lot of potential consumers of luxuries is wasted, and economic growth suffers.

I think...

Last edited by geofra; 11-16-2013 at 07:09 AM..

Old 11-16-2013, 07:05 AM

544 posts, read 610,149 times
It sounds like the OP is trying to get help with his Economics assignment... Shame on you OP.

Old 11-16-2013, 07:09 AM

275 posts, read 193,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyHarley View Post
It sounds like the OP is trying to get help with his Economics assignment... Shame on you OP.
Too hard for you to answer so you attack the OP?

Old 11-16-2013, 07:18 AM

4,272 posts, read 3,786,079 times
Quote:
Actually, this has the potential of being a good discussion. I'm shocked that it was posted in this forum and not in the Great Debates forum.

Sorry OP for going off topic.

Old 11-16-2013, 07:33 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nononsenseguy View Post
I would like the Leftists to explain the term "income inequality." What is it? How does it occur, and what should be done to correct it?

In your posts, please discuss wealth, wealth distribution, wealth creation, and the moral issues involved in creating wealth, which would include the right to own property, and the right to the fruit of ones labor, and the exclusive right to ones intellectual property.

You may also want to answer the following:
  1. How does one improve ones standard of living; i.e., rise from poverty to middle class, to wealthy?
  2. How should one put their money to work?
  3. What does it mean to own stock?
  4. What obligations does a company have to it's employees?
  5. What obligations does an employee have to his employer?

I object on the ground that most conservatives do not support the right of poor and low-wage workers to own property i.e. the premise of this thread is deficient.

Old 11-16-2013, 07:51 AM

275 posts, read 193,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by freemkt View Post
I object on the ground that most conservatives do not support the right of poor and low-wage workers to own property i.e. the premise of this thread is deficient.
You can buy property... Or do you expect property to be given to you. If you can't afford to buy you should be thanking the rich after all the governments answer are those high rises. If it weren't for real estate investors you would have two choices, live in the streets or live in government high rise.

Old 11-16-2013, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Nope. Not taking any economics, and I wouldn't consider "Income inequality" as a valid topic for an economics class, because "income inequality" is stricktly an invention of the Left.

Old 11-16-2013, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geofra View Post
Actually, this has the potential of being a good discussion. I'm shocked that it was posted in this forum and not in the Great Debates forum.

Sorry OP for going off topic.
No problem, and I also thought it would be a good discussion.

Old 11-16-2013, 08:35 AM

33,016 posts, read 27,443,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isee-you View Post
You can buy property... Or do you expect property to be given to you. If you can't afford to buy you should be thanking the rich after all the governments answer are those high rises. If it weren't for real estate investors you would have two choices, live in the streets or live in government high rise.

??? Several years go I tried to buy a tiny house and government got in the way. check your local zoning code but you probably can't buy or sell a tiny property where you live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies