Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you support the Tea Party?
I'm a Republican, and I support the Tea Party. 87 75.65%
I'm a Republican, and I do not support the Tea Party. 28 24.35%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 11:57 PM

1,866 posts, read 2,702,355 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunlover View Post
Another up side to ending the Department of Education, Schools would switch to a vouchers system. Which the teachers unions out of the way, we could actually educate kids, and as well all know statism must have a uneducated, apathetic population to gain footing.
You have no idea about education to make an ignorant statement like that. Unions have NOTHING to do with educating the kids, it's all about parents. If lazy parents would actually do their job and motivate their kids instead of letting them stay up until 2 am on their iphone(because trust me the kids are pretty honest about what they do) then maybe things will get done.

EX: I called a parent to let her know her child was failing..her response? Well I will tell him when I see him..When will that be? Idk, he usually comes in late like 12-1 am(student was a sophomore), she says, I am usually at work, but I will leave him a note..yeah..that note is really going to get him motivated let me tell you. I have hundreds of stories like this..nothing involving a teachers union though.

Old 11-18-2013, 07:11 AM

5,576 posts, read 7,997,640 times
It would be interesting to ask the other question: "Tea Partiers only: Do you support the Republicans?". That interests me more than the conventional framing that implies "will reasonable moderates allow the Tea Party to exist?". Ted Cruz, among others, doesn't trust the Republicans , and given their recent conduct of surrendering to Obama and Reid as much as they can, not pressing the attack, sabotage of the defunding, and giving a lot of talk when it doesn't matter but voting for preserving the status quo when it does matter, I think he's right in thinking so.

Take the Amash Amendment to rein in the NSA for example, which the Tea Party supported; on this and a few other occasions Amash, a Tea Party/Ron Paul/Libertarian type, was in opposition to both the Democratic and Republican leaderships, and built an almost-winning coalition that was composed mostly of Democrats. Indeed, according to Ballotpedia, on substantive votes Amash votes more often with Democrats than with Republicans, though usually for different reasons. Particularly fascinating is that Justin Amash has been called the most liberal Republican by Karl Rove, National Journal says he's the fifth-most liberal Republican, and Heritage Action gave him a score of 91 percent, making him a fierce defender of conservative principles. Yet the Tea Party is said to be a hard-right organization of racist end-timers or some such, and some of their own are called liberals - it appears that this year Karl Rove has welcomed us to the brave new world of hard-right liberalism .

I'm of the view that the Republican party today is better understood as two or three parties pretending to be under one roof than as a single party. Peter King said of Ted Cruz last month "He's not from my par-. He's not from my wing of the party." What he was about to say before he corrected himself is that Cruz was not from his party, and pretenses aside I think that is the predominant operating mentality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahn View Post
I'd vote Tea Party if they supported southern secession and thought they could actually succeed.

You'll notice I live in the north.
The drive towards secession is as strong or even stronger in the (red state) West than it is in the South. I'd say Wyoming or Alaska is more likely to secede than North Carolina, for example. Obviously the most "mainstream" secession movement is for Texan independence, but Texas is not exactly Southern.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:01 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
I'm a CONSERVATIVE who supports the Tea Party for the most part.

Old 11-18-2013, 08:03 AM

34,619 posts, read 21,607,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
The drive towards secession is as strong or even stronger in the (red state) West than it is in the South. I'd say Wyoming or Alaska is more likely to secede than North Carolina, for example. Obviously the most "mainstream" secession movement is for Texan independence, but Texas is not exactly Southern.
As a Texan, I want our country to succeed not for Texas to secede.

Old 11-18-2013, 12:40 PM

9,282 posts, read 6,740,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackscorpion View Post
You have no idea about education to make an ignorant statement like that. Unions have NOTHING to do with educating the kids, it's all about parents. If lazy parents would actually do their job and motivate their kids instead of letting them stay up until 2 am on their iphone(because trust me the kids are pretty honest about what they do) then maybe things will get done.

EX: I called a parent to let her know her child was failing..her response? Well I will tell him when I see him..When will that be? Idk, he usually comes in late like 12-1 am(student was a sophomore), she says, I am usually at work, but I will leave him a note..yeah..that note is really going to get him motivated let me tell you. I have hundreds of stories like this..nothing involving a teachers union though.
yeah not buying this "they have nothing to do with anything" lie

they stand in the way time and time again, standing in the way of School Vouchers or being in the free market to improve eduation
Dues and Don’ts | Teachers Union Facts

Old 11-18-2013, 10:46 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,448,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patricius Maximus View Post
It would be interesting to ask the other question: "Tea Partiers only: Do you support the Republicans?". That interests me more than the conventional framing that implies "will reasonable moderates allow the Tea Party to exist?". Ted Cruz, among others, doesn't trust the Republicans , and given their recent conduct of surrendering to Obama and Reid as much as they can, not pressing the attack, sabotage of the defunding, and giving a lot of talk when it doesn't matter but voting for preserving the status quo when it does matter, I think he's right in thinking so.

Take the Amash Amendment to rein in the NSA for example, which the Tea Party supported; on this and a few other occasions Amash, a Tea Party/Ron Paul/Libertarian type, was in opposition to both the Democratic and Republican leaderships, and built an almost-winning coalition that was composed mostly of Democrats. Indeed, according to Ballotpedia, on substantive votes Amash votes more often with Democrats than with Republicans, though usually for different reasons. Particularly fascinating is that Justin Amash has been called the most liberal Republican by Karl Rove, National Journal says he's the fifth-most liberal Republican, and Heritage Action gave him a score of 91 percent, making him a fierce defender of conservative principles. Yet the Tea Party is said to be a hard-right organization of racist end-timers or some such, and some of their own are called liberals - it appears that this year Karl Rove has welcomed us to the brave new world of hard-right liberalism .

I'm of the view that the Republican party today is better understood as two or three parties pretending to be under one roof than as a single party. Peter King said of Ted Cruz last month "He's not from my par-. He's not from my wing of the party." What he was about to say before he corrected himself is that Cruz was not from his party, and pretenses aside I think that is the predominant operating mentality.

I say we all secede from the Union, all 50 States. That will teach them!

Old 11-18-2013, 11:46 PM

30,253 posts, read 23,729,935 times
Back when I lived in Miami, a co-worker asked me to join him at a Tea Party rally. I went because I wanted to see what the people were all about. Again, a lot of it I agree with, but not all of it. I went around taking photos. I can't post them all, but these are some of the photos I took. I think this was 2009 or 2010....

These were Cuban war vets. In fact, most of the people out there were Cuban. If anyone should know what it's like to live in a communist country, it's Cubans. And when a Cuban tells you that your country is going in the wrong direction, you should probably stop being obtuse and listen.

And the most important message of all by a Tea Partier:

So, to answer the question posted earlier, "Would the Tea Party support the Republicans", the answer is, if that person is a TRUE Republican, and not a liberal in disguise, then yes, they would. Unfortunately, as I have been saying, not everyone with an R behind their name is a Republican. That's why they are called RINOs and Neo-Cons...because they are Republican only in name.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:28 AM

15,529 posts, read 10,496,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Republicans -- do you support the Tea Party? Please only vote in this poll if you are a Republican. I'm curious how strong the non Tea Party element of the Republican Party is. I'd really appreciate it if you took the time to explain how you voted and why.
I didn't vote. I've supported several of the candidates the various tea parties have endorsed, others I've hated.

Old 11-19-2013, 12:55 AM

1,250 posts, read 1,488,411 times
How frightening that most Republicans here are Tea Partiers.

Old 11-19-2013, 02:08 AM

27,137 posts, read 15,310,658 times
Well we know Obama lies, and continually, you believing the demonization as truth?

Why not, you swallow everything else he spews I'll bet.
You're being played.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies